Solar panels for a van - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Solar panels for a van

This is a discussion on Solar panels for a van within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Originally Posted by Jacky Any experience with LPG generator's? Would be ideal for me as I work on a Lpg plant and get it at ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Solar panels for a van

Quote Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
    Any experience with LPG generator's? Would be ideal for me as I work on a Lpg plant and get it at cost

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
    I just got a 4400 Watt Dual Fuel LP Gas Genny and so far so good. I've only tested it a couple of times to run some things and get a feel for how the LP Gas does and so far so good. But it is not an inverter and its pretty heavy to be hauling around.

When I was shopping I ran across the Champion Dual Fuel Inverter Generator that by all accounts seemed to be a good product (if you believe the reviews)

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/

Quote Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
    Any experience with LPG generator's? Would be ideal for me as I work on a Lpg plant and get it at cost

I converted my Honda EU2000 so that it can run on either gas or propane. There are kits available online and they are pretty easy to install. Just be aware that a 2000 watt generator will produce less that 2000 on propane. Propane produces less energy than gasoline. If I remember correctly mine is rated at 1600 or 1700 watts on propane.
    Deebo likes this.

You guys rock. I have learned that SCREW SOLAR, and get the predator generator from Harbor Frieght, as it is just as good as the Honda.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    You guys rock. I have learned that SCREW SOLAR, and get the predator generator from Harbor Frieght, as it is just as good as the Honda.
    A genny isn't the end-of-all-means you think it is. When the power goes out, how is the local gas station going to pump fuel into your gas can?

Besides, gennys make noise. Noise that will attract a lot of attention in the silence that is a power outage. Now you've got to protect your genny.
    MountainGirl likes this.
    I try not to make plans much. The word 'premeditated' would get tossed around in court.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Besides, gennys make noise.
    Post severe weather--
    Day 1. Chain saws.

Day 2. Generators.

WRT solar vs. generators (& other alternatives) the key is redundancy, don't you think?
    Crunch and Elvis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    .......WRT solar vs. generators (& other alternatives) the key is redundancy, don't you think?

Two is one, and one is none!
    Crunch and Marica like this.
    I try not to make plans much. The word 'premeditated' would get tossed around in court.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    A genny isn't the end-of-all-means you think it is. When the power goes out, how is the local gas station going to pump fuel into your gas can?

Besides, gennys make noise. Noise that will attract a lot of attention in the silence that is a power outage. Now you've got to protect your genny.

I am talking about NOW.
    In a bad situation, I would not be worried about fuel, because I will syphon gas from everywhere, and I will protect it with extreme firearms. My neighbor and I are thinking of gating our road.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    I am talking about NOW.
    In a bad situation, I would not be worried about fuel, because I will syphon gas from everywhere, and I will protect it with extreme firearms. My neighbor and I are thinking of gating our road.
    I'm not necessarily making a bug out vehicle or anything. It's literally just for weekends away in the country side ect

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    Can you give us some insight into the the model of frig or its power consumption? I have a small 12 volt DC /120 VAC frig/freezer that draws 4.8 amps of 12 volt DC, each and every hour that the motor runs to cool the the food. If you are in hot weather it will consume more power, expecially if it is set for freezer use. And when I have 120 VAC available, it only consumes 0.5 amps per hour.
    4.8 amps X 12v = 57 watts when running
    .5 amps X 120v = 60 watts when running

Looks like your fridge uses about the same power total power (watts) regardless of the voltage.

"4.8 amps X 12v = 57 watts when running
    .5 amps X 120v = 60 watts when running"

I'd go with at least 300 watt to 400 watt, with the panels in series. So it will still run it, keep up on a cloudy day, In sun it would charge it, and run it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links