Solar panels for a van - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Solar panels for a van

This is a discussion on Solar panels for a van within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Originally Posted by Old SF Guy I can tell you what I have. It's a Yeti 400 Gold zero (x2) and two solar panels. One ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Solar panels for a van

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    I can tell you what I have. It's a Yeti 400 Gold zero (x2) and two solar panels. One will run my TV for about 4 hours. The other will run everything else all night. Built in power conditioners AC inverters etc.
    https://www.goalzero.com/shop/kits/g...CABEgJdY_D_BwE

Now if you want cheaper, get a marine battery and a couple Low cost panels from Harbor Freight along with a small inverter. I'd hook it into a switch you can turn on to charge from vehicle if you need to. Just keep the batteries isolated from each other (never on the same circuit)
    Yeah I was worried I'd forget and drain the battery and leave me stuck somewhere I guess I could have it on when I'm driving and isolate as soon as I stop

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

@Jacky

Just wondering, this ain't the van we're talking about is it?

Solar panels for a van-external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    Jacky, Prepared One and Marica like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    @Jacky

Just wondering, this ain't the van we're talking about is it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	102613
    Hahaha afraid not, this is my baby!

hawgrider, Slippy and MountainGirl like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacky View Post

Definintly not this then-

Seriously though-
    Nice rig Jack do you use that van for a Expediting business?
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but whatever solar panels you get, you need to be sure that they are mounted at the proper angle with respect to the horizontal and the sun, which changes throughout the year and with your location.

LAT = your latitude in degrees

Summer: (LAT x 0.92) - 24.3
    Winter: (LAT x 0.89) + 24
    Spring/Fall: (LAT x 0.98) - 2.3

Dates on which to change

to Summer: April 18
    to Fall: August 22
    to Winter: October 5
    to Spring: March 5

Very nice Jacky!

For camping/expedition I'd still go with an Inverter Generator with LP Gas to supplement various pcs of equipment.

Setting up Solar Panels, a Battery Bank and Inverter may not be the most efficient source of power in my opinion.

Good luck and keep an eye on that bozo who lives across the street, I think I see him peering out that upper level window.

Sweet!
    Another idea to think about is rather than have your solar panels mounted on the roof, have them connect with a 20-30 foot cord/cable- so you can park in the shade and they can stretch out into the sun. And, you'll be able to set them at a better angle to the sun that way.
    Elvis likes this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Not even that.

Hi Jacky. paraquack and Kauboy's questions really need answering first, then we can run the numbers for an estimate of how many watts of panels you'll need and how many amp hours of battery capacity. If you already have the frig, TV, and laptop you want to run then there should be a tag/plate/sticker on them that lists the voltage and either the amperage or the wattage they consume.
    Marica and Kauboy like this.

Jacky. I have a 1000 watt solar setup but it is in my home. Not mounted on a van. I’ve learned a lot building and experimenting with this system. My advice? Go with a small Honda inverter/generator. They come in 1000 watt and 2200 watt sizes. They are small, relatively light weight, quiet, and very fuel efficient. Trust me when I say that your roof mounted van system will cost plenty, be heavy (with batteries) and produce little power. Add in the fact that you have to park in the sun which turns your van into an oven, well, I figure the Honda would be a smarter bet. But that’s just my opinion. Just be aware that a 100 watt solar panel will very rarely produce 100 watts power so you are probably going to need more panels than you might anticipate.
    Slippy, Deebo and Elvis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Jacky. I have a 1000 watt solar setup but it is in my home. Not mounted on a van. I’ve learned a lot building and experimenting with this system. My advice? Go with a small Honda inverter/generator. They come in 1000 watt and 2200 watt sizes. They are small, relatively light weight, quiet, and very fuel efficient. Trust me when I say that your roof mounted van system will cost plenty, be heavy (with batteries) and produce little power. Add in the fact that you have to park in the sun which turns your van into an oven, well, I figure the Honda would be a smarter bet. But that’s just my opinion. Just be aware that a 100 watt solar panel will very rarely produce 100 watts power so you are probably going to need more panels than you might anticipate.
    Any experience with LPG generator's? Would be ideal for me as I work on a Lpg plant and get it at cost

Slippy likes this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links