Solar panels for a van - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Solar panels for a van

This is a discussion on Solar panels for a van within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Can you give us some insight into the the model of frig or its power consumption? I have a small 12 volt DC /120 VAC ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Solar panels for a van

Can you give us some insight into the the model of frig or its power consumption? I have a small 12 volt DC /120 VAC frig/freezer that draws 4.8 amps of 12 volt DC, each and every hour that the motor runs to cool the the food. If you are in hot weather it will consume more power, expecially if it is set for freezer use. And when I have 120 VAC available, it only consumes 0.5 amps per hour.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

[QUOTE=Slippy;1962579]Hold tight while I ring you on the rotary dial white princess phone over there!

Just kidding! I'm pretty sure that's a prop to throw off anyone who might be spying on us...

Anyway, if you are using a laptop, sometimes when you save your picture, select EDIT/CREATE on your Picture Saving App or program and adjust the picture just a tiny bit...move a border or something like that and it tends to "right" the picture after you post it on the forum. I have no idea why or how it does that because I am wearing my tinfoil hat as I type this...

@Slippy . It only does it when I move a pic from my phone to the laptop. I'll play around with it. I thought there might be a way to do it on the forum.

And since you are wearing your tin foil hat... . Look for a new post in a little bit. You will laugh.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Does anyone remember the old gentleman who used to be on this site? He lived in Arizona, had just gone totally off-grid with solar, and then announced that he was dying and left the site?
    i do. Najim or something
    Denton likes this.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info people!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Here's a couple YouToobers you might want to check in to:

https://www.youtube.com/user/errolprowse

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVsNMiYQkqwIq_gd0rTJF9g

Bob Wells also has solar info on occasion:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAj...bkIR54hAn6Zz7A
    Jacky likes this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Thanks boss

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    Ha, I asked a guy for a "cheap way" to use solar just to keep my chickens water from freezing.
    He said the battery, panel, recirc pump,,etc would be 1000 US Dollars..
    I will be putting warm water on the frozen chicky water till hell freezes over..
    I'd just use a light bulb. keeps my water spigot from freezing
    Kauboy and Jacky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
    Thanks boss

I can tell you what I have. It's a Yeti 400 Gold zero (x2) and two solar panels. One will run my TV for about 4 hours. The other will run everything else all night. Built in power conditioners AC inverters etc.
    https://www.goalzero.com/shop/kits/g...CABEgJdY_D_BwE

Now if you want cheaper, get a marine battery and a couple Low cost panels from Harbor Freight along with a small inverter. I'd hook it into a switch you can turn on to charge from vehicle if you need to. Just keep the batteries isolated from each other (never on the same circuit)
    Last edited by Old SF Guy; 01-09-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    MountainGirl and Jacky like this.

@Jacky , A couple questions to start off...

1. Will you be using straight DC power for all devices, or will they all need to be running AC with an inverter, or a mix? (yes, you can get just about anything nowadays that uses DC, it's normally a bit more expensive however)
    2. How many hours will you be using these things on your average day?
    3. How much square footage do you have to mount panels to the van?

The first question is the most important, as it will set the pace for how much conversion needs to done, and how much math we get to play with.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    It only does it when I move a pic from my phone to the laptop. I'll play around with it. I thought there might be a way to do it on the forum.

Hi Marica - dunno if there's a way to edit it on the forum... but on your Phone - open the pic in whatever 'Gallery' your phone defaults to, give it a tiny edit (just enough to trigger a 'change') and click Save. The new 'saved' pic will be the right way up and you can post it directly here from your phone, or over to your PC.

p.s...Be sure and upload the right one, lol. In my Gallery the original and saved are right next to each other, and the changes are so small sometimes I forget which one it is to click on, heh.
    Marica likes this.
    BRING ALL TROOPS HOME NOW.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links