Solar Back Up Power for Deep Well

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Solar Back Up Power for Deep Well within the Alternative Energy (Wind, Solar, Hydro etc) forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Afternoon everyone. I am wondering if any of you have built a solar power system for back up power for a deep well? Water is ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Solar Back Up Power for Deep Well

Afternoon everyone. I am wondering if any of you have built a solar power system for back up power for a deep well? Water is one of my main concerns in prepping. We keep a couple weeks worth of water in containers in the house but for a longer outage I was thinking a small solar set up to power the deep well would be a good investment. I would love to have solar back up for the whole house but finances wont allow that just yet.

I was hoping one of you might have put something together relatively inexpensively that would power a well? Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.
    Slippy likes this.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Not a clue but Simply Solar is a good forum for questions specific to solar. They do a lot of DIY stuff over there.
    Green Lilly likes this.

Check a Company called Grundfos. They sell a combination solar and deep well pump.

https://us.grundfos.com/products/fin...ct/sqflex.html
    Green Lilly likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Not an answer, just more to consider.

First I assume are asking from a Prepper standpoint.

We have a large fall-back survival group. By the end of next week we will have a $50,000 on-grid solar system with a new 14 KW Telsa battery back-up system. This is the most expensive way to solve the well problem but it will work. The battery back-up option is $15,000 by itself. This is not the cheapest way to solve the prepper problem but the main party here wanted on-grid power in the meantime.

Prior to this week we were set up to power one of our two wells (275 feet; one with a hand pump also) with a mid range Home Depot type gasoline generator that produces 220 volts at 20 amps.
    That may be YOUR target too as most well pumps in my area require 220 Volts at 20 Amps.

Our plan was to run the generator to fill containers then shut off the power. One such container is a used 300 gallon IBC, 4' cube storage container ($80).

We also fabricated a muffler using 2" PVC piping that throws the generator noise 10 feet into the air making it impossible to determine the direction of the now muffled sound. It is attached to the exhaust vent with tin flashing and steel wool stuffed into the cracks.

We can provide all water needs for 40 people for one year using a 50 gallon barrel of stabilized gasoline.

The above generator system may be an option for you in total or as a back-up on winter rainy days.

Now you can continue to explore solar but keep in mind you may have to have 220 volts produced which requires two separate battery banks.

Note: I am not an electrician!
    Last edited by jimcosta; 08-12-2019 at 06:58 PM.
    Green Lilly likes this.

My well is 1000' deep with the pump at 750'. Solar is not an option for a well this deep. The PL/gas 7500watt generator will power the deep well pump and fill the 2600 gallon storage tank. The LP is from the 500 gallon LP storage tank for the house. The generator has only been used with the LP gas, never been started using gasoline so the engine remains clean. With discretion, i figure this setup will provide all electricity needed for at least 3 months in a grid down situation.
    Slippy and Green Lilly like this.

I use solar to run the 1.5hp 220v pump in my well. Currently we just use a normal well pump but some day we intend to switch to a Grundfos soft start pump to reduce the huge start up surge our current pump requires. Since we run the whole house off solar we use a larger inverter and battery bank than you'd require. And yes, I designed and installed the solar myself.

A Magnum 4448 inverter is generally considered plenty to run a 1.5hp 220v deep well pump. https://www.wholesalesolar.com/29548...48pae-inverter If you'd like to grid-tie I suggest a Radian or Conext inverter.

A 400 amp/hr 48v battery bank with about 3000 watts in panels will run your refrigerator, some lights, and a deep well pump just fine. More solar and more batteries can run more stuff. But like anything involving solar you need to conserve power when you have several cloudy days or use a backup generator.

With 6000 watts in panels, a larger battery bank, and a Conext 6848 inverter we run the entire house including AC and some heating. Things like the water heater and stove are propane.

If you're serious about this project feel free to IM me. I believe the federal 30% solar tax rebate is still going on.
    Last edited by Elvis; 08-12-2019 at 09:05 PM.
    Green Lilly and edprof like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcosta View Post
    We can provide all water needs for 40 people for one year using a 50 gallon barrel of stabilized gasoline.

The above generator system may be an option for you in total or as a back-up on winter rainy days.

Now you can continue to explore solar but keep in mind you may have to have 220 volts produced which requires two separate battery banks.

Note: I am not an electrician!
    How many gallons of water per person/day do you figure on pumping with that 50 gallons of fuel?
    There are several top of the line inverters out there that produce 240v from a single battery bank.

Elvis: Thanks for the information on the inverter.

The 50 gallon fuel reserve should yield 3 gallons of potable water per day per person. This will require a half hour generator run every three days.

We have another 250 gallons of gasoline in reserve.

We also have rain catchment systems and a creek for non-potable water, in addition to a hand pump for those in need of additional potable water.

We will rely on pool shock granules (bleach) if needed to purify non-well water.

PWS 48 volt 540 watts works off solar but a max depth of 390'. That's what I put in at the old BOL.
    Green Lilly likes this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

Is this enough water?

Quote Originally Posted by jimcosta View Post
    Elvis: Thanks for the information on the inverter.

The 50 gallon fuel reserve should yield 3 gallons of potable water per day per person. This will require a half hour generator run every three days.

We have another 250 gallons of gasoline in reserve.

We also have rain catchment systems and a creek for non-potable water, in addition to a hand pump for those in need of additional potable water.

We will rely on pool shock granules (bleach) if needed to purify non-well water.
    3 gallons per will cover drinking and cooking, but what about cleanup, hygiene, livestock and garden? I'll assume gray water for the garden, but licestock needs potable water.

Remember: water is the sine qua non of survival.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links