Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Will gangs really rule when shtf?

This is a discussion on Will gangs really rule when shtf? within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Lucky Jim. Do you really think that there would be ton's of food left in supermarkets ? I think you would find that within 3 ...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Will gangs really rule when shtf?

Lucky Jim. Do you really think that there would be ton's of food left in supermarkets ? I think you would find that within 3 days tops of something lasting going wrong, there would be nothing left in any of the stores. Especially food. Have you ever watched the news, in Florida, when there is a hurricane coming in ? The runs on the stores are nothing short of incredible to say the least. Not a single think on the shelves, and pretty much the same thing in Home Depot etc. People wait until the last minute, then run into the stores and buy whatever they can without even thinking about it. Gas stations are the same. People lined up for blocks, start fighting for position just to top off their gas tanks. I was in Watts way back in the 60's and you cannot believe how bad it gets in just a few hours. What your way of thinking is telling me is that you will be one of the unpreppared looters at best. Keep in mind that looters by their very nature are targets instantly. First by the police or national guard or by the people owning the stores themselves. You do not want to be in that position ever. Plan very differently and plan fast. Have a plan to leave if possible with your preps to at least get you out of the city. I believe that you would have a very short window to move out before the general masses have assembled their brains to start moving. While they are heading to their neares empty big box stores, you could be 10 miles out of the city to open road. The city roads leading to the freeways are going to be the first to clog and stall. You need to be past them in 20 or 30 minutes or you will be trapped .

England, America's NATO ally for 65 years
    Quote Originally Posted by nadja View Post
    ..Do you really think that there would be ton's of food left in supermarkets ?....
    Depends which Endworld scenario we're talking about mate, for example if a plague wipes out 99% of humans we'll be able to grab as much stuff as we want from supermarkets, i wouldn't call it looting because there'd be nobody alive within a hundred miles except us, and anyway if we didn't have it it'd just rot and we'd just starve..
    Last edited by Lucky Jim; 09-12-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Pandemic would be the last thing I would worry about as a shtf long lasting type situation. My number one concern would have to be economic collapse , and number two would be an escalating war starting in the middle east. That would instantly rule out grocery stores being just abandoned for the taking. Think Jim, it ain't gonna happen. Even fast food stores will be empty shelves and nothing else in just a matter of hours and a couple of days. When the fast food places like mickey D's run out from the inital run or the power goes down, all is lost. Period
    usmamg likes this.

Yes we'll have to play it by ear, for example the government might have plans to feed the population in an emergency, so perhaps it'd be best to stay in the city monitoring TV/radio broadcasts, at least til we get an idea of what the hell's going on, and then only get out of town if we have to..

Last edited by Lucky Jim; 09-13-2012 at 12:53 PM.

So who is to say that the electricity is still working ? Who would be brodcasting on the tv or even the radio if it were. Sounds to me like you are figuring that the gober't will be giving you all the news on your big screen tv. Hey, maybe you will also need to run to your nearest store and buy a six pack to go with the tv

As always, it depends what kind of 'national emergency' we're talking about. For example there are pics in the news today of Jupiter getting clobbered by a meteor.
    If it happened to Earth the survivors would need all their skills to stay alive to avoid going the same way as the dinosaurs.
    Fuzzee likes this.

In the country I too worry about folk running out of the city to "escape" only to end up on my doorstep. I don't plan on "bugging out" and likely wouldn't unless it was the type of disaster that drove me away from my shelter such as nuclear, flood or fire.

I would need help to defend our homestead and would rely on family, friends & neighbors. I worry none about gangs, less about zombies but I do concentrate on families that will want what we have.

1895gunner

Gangs are serious problems, now. No use in pretending they won't get worse. No, they are not preppers in our sense, but they are resourceful and cunning. They are already clannish and have chains of command.
    In the absence of government...

The gangs will be out there. There a real mess now. Given a reason, they will go way off the edge and very quickly. You as a non gang member, caught out in the open, would be dead in a second. They will kill you for what you have or even sport if for no other reason. Death and mayhem are already a common way of life for them. Attempting to hold out against them would be futile at best. It would be much better to head to the hills as so many project, even though that will be a bad end for most. But to stick around the cities and even in the burb's will certainly be your downfall.

Upon discovering that you still need things, you will have to venture out, and that is your weakest area. Unless you attended school at Quantico or Ft.Benning for escape and evasion, you chances of going undiscovered are about Nil. You need to quit fooling yourselves about your chances in the city.

As LuckyJim feels, I feel a lot of you think that there would be food for taking in the stores. Not so. Think, think and think some more

Quote Originally Posted by nadja View Post
    ...I feel a lot of you think that there would be food for taking in the stores. Not so. Think, think and think some more
    As always, we'll have to play it by ear depending on what kind of national emergency or apocalypse it is, then "adapt, improvise, overcome"..
    The only surefire strategy before it happens is to prep up with food, drink, water, batteries, fuel etc, to tide us over so that when it hits the fan we can at least hole up safe at home to take stock of the overall situation for a while instead of having to venture out looking for food and stuff elsewhere.
    "It's a dangerous business going out your door"- Bilbo Baggins

The starving gangs will probably head into the country in the hope of pulling up potatoes and vegetables which they think will be growing in fields everywhere.
    Personally I'll only leave my warm bed in my snug home in the city if I HAVE to, playing it by ear, rather than get cold feet trudging through the bleak landscape looking for turnips..

"Pray that this will not take place in winter, because those will be days of distress unequaled from the beginning until now, and never to be equaled again."- Jesus of Nazareth, Mark ch 13

Last edited by Lucky Jim; 09-25-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Ads