Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Will gangs really rule when shtf?

This is a discussion on Will gangs really rule when shtf? within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I hope everybody doesn't think gangs will fight eachother, because some might just wise up and band with other gangs in order to control certain ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Will gangs really rule when shtf?

Super Moderator

Re: Will gangs really rule when shtf?

I hope everybody doesn't think gangs will fight eachother, because some might just wise up and band with other gangs in order to control certain cities/areas/resources. While they are mostly criminals and idiots, In my opinion, there is the very real chance that they band up and become a force to deal with. And that is something people didn't want to think about, but it's the truth

If you see cops in a group in SHTF, leave. Exit, get the hell out of there. I respect LEO's but they will be EXTRA alert and trigger happy if everything goes to hell. They will have to be to survive, everybody will look at them to protect them and it just won't be feasible. This is clearly all speculation, but I also think that most LEO's in a severe SHTF will not wear their uniforms and duck out of serving, to preserve themselves. Police have families too that they will want to take care of too.

Just remember to look at both sides of what can happen, that is how you really prepare!
    Fuzzee likes this.
    Any reason is the perfect reason to prepare.

I has a youtube! Check me out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidlittle

that is a worry but when that time comes i will be bugging out to a friends house in the country, but my thought for the time being i will ride it out for about 72 hrs
    to let the roads clear then make a break for it,
    and if i have to shoot my way out then so be it

Why are you afraid of these gangs?

Do they have food to last them a few weeks or will they be forced to get food? If they don't have food to feed themselves you will see their ranks dissipate after the first missed lunch. After a few days without food they will simply enter a state of apathy and what you need to do is avoid them until this happen. If you have all the food and water you need and a decent shelter you only need to stay put inside and let them go about whatever they do. Of course you may need to defend yourself but I would say you should have no problem with this if you have taken actions to secure your house if SHTF/WROL. A semiautomatic carbine with a few cases of ammo will be more then you ever will need to deal with these. Do you really think they will charge your house in a blind rage for the hope that one or two can get to the house? Of course they won't do this. They will be starving and looking for an easy catch and unless you are this catch they won't do much until it has gotten so far you are the only one left and at that stage they will have gone from starving to starved. If you live somewhere where there isn't much water around you only need to hold out for a about a week IMO.

Gangs will be around, but not for long. I see too much infighting over who gets this and who gets that. Whether it's food, water or the girls, these gangs will self destruct.
    Also, when the gangs and their pistols come across a neighborhood that is ready to defend themselves and these gangers start getting picked off at 100+ yards. They will scream for momma.

Tim
    The Second Amendment makes all the others possible.

I think they won't last long, since they'll be too busy killing each other, and people will start killing them off. I doubt they'll have the know-how or patience to grow their own food, so they'll have to get it from somewhere else; I think that'll either be from raiding, or getting people addicted to drugs and getting stuff from them.

I live in an area with a large number of gangs. I know of about 5 or 6 off-hand who're pretty big. That's excluding smaller, youth gangs, which there's lots and lots. I honestly wouldn't mind letting them have at each other.

They have turf to fight over, though, so I expect they'll end up killing themselves off until they're little more than an irregular (if potentially dangerous) inconvenience. However, what damage will they do while they are around? I expect a fair bit, to the extent everyone knows someone who knew someone who had something happen to them.

What about if some gangs do get organized though? They start dealing drugs, abductions, etc, but not going after the ones who fight back with guns? For us in the UK we're at a disadvantage: they have guns, we don't. Utter foolishness.

i dont think gangs will rule long. they wont have the know how or basic skill past looting. theres only so much you can loot. its gotta run out then what? they wont have the moxy to head to the deserts, hills and mountains. ill bet they stay in the city like the rats they are.

i

England, America's NATO ally for 65 years
    Quote Originally Posted by shotlady View Post
    i dont think gangs will rule long. they wont have the know how or basic skill past looting. theres only so much you can loot. its gotta run out then what? they wont have the moxy to head to the deserts, hills and mountains. ill bet they stay in the city like the rats they are.
    Yeah, a gang is just an armed mob, totally lacking in firearms training and tactics, plus of course they'll possibly be stoned out of their minds or drunk (think zombs), so any determined Prepper will be worth 100 of them..
    Kurt Russell had the right mindset in 'Soldier' when his peaceful little group was threatened-

Last edited by Lucky Jim; 09-10-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Gangs. Mmmmm let me think about this. You mean the mindless doped up drunk idiots that run around shooting people at random type people ? They are just that, only lots of them. Will they be a threat to us ? Only for a short time and for the most part mostly in the cities. Out here in the woods where I live, it gets dark at night, wild animals such as cows and chickens etc, would all lead up to them making a long trip for nothing. IF you are one of the less fortunate ones living in the cities, the chances of you surviving long term all almost nill anyway. You will have no way to grow your own food, obtain water and litterly trapped in your environment. IF you really want to survive, start planing to move to the country and do it now.

Look at it this way. There you are in the city and you are happy as a clam, for you have managed to create a really productive container garden in your tiny little back yard. As soon as you start cooking that harvest, people will smell it. Even it it isn't the "gangs" your talking about, there will be plenty of mob's running around searching for food. You cook it, they will come. Gunfights, where, at your front door ? How long will that last do you think ? About 5 minutes before the blood gets slippery and the flies land. I hate to pop your bubble, but in reality, you don't win a gun fight. At least not a sustained one.

To survive a major everlasting event, you need to not be in the city. Even getting out of there will be a life or death situation. So, here you are already worried about the gangs, which most likely means that they are already a major concern of yours, knowing full well that given the chance they will only get worse, and still you sit there and do nothing. Your looking for a fast solution to a very bad problem. There is none. Bottom line, again IF your in the city, you will perish at some point and time before everything even begins to get some kind of normalcy once again.

The best solution of course is to remove yourself from the city and do it asap. Sure you will make less money out here in the rural areas. In fact it can be darn near impossible to make much at all. But, I can grow as much as we can eat, trade with neighbors for my crops for theirs , chickens, cows, goats, and even fruit somewhat. My solar is all in, wind, back up everything for my solar, 3 gennies for even more backup. Will the 'gangs' make it this far ? Not likely at all. I made this choice about 16 years ago, and have never looked back. My chances are far better then anyone living in the city. Do I have lots of guns and ammo ? Not really. Do I see myself having to worry about gangs ? No. A few really desperate people ? Most likely some anyway. What my lifestyle realy does do, is it allows me to sleep really really well at night. Quiet, secure etc. My dogs , are first line of defense, "driveway alerts" second line and even some in the house in stratigic places. I have food and seeds put away, and know how to garden. All you combat heros in the city should give this some real thought. Oh, by the way, yes it is hard to do, especially at first, but after a year or two , it begins to get much easier all the time. Good Luck

England, America's NATO ally for 65 years
    Depends on the type of Endworld scenario of course, but generally speaking my strategy would be to stay in the city until I HAD to get out.
    I mean, there are a million houses and apartments in the city, so the chances are good that the gangs won't single ours out.
    Concrete cities make the best shelter, so best not to roam the countryside at the mercy of rain, storm, snow etc.
    Also, there'd be plenty of food in deserted supermarkets to keep us alive for months, then when it begins to run out we can start thinking about getting into the country, preferably timed for a summer departure.
    Could be some nasty things out there..
    Last edited by Lucky Jim; 10-15-2012 at 09:14 AM.

As you folks ponder the gang problem and wait to "bug out" We in the country worry about the city hordes coming north to the country.
    Come on now.
    We have plenty of movies about this bologna.
    I was concerned about getting home on 9/11 back when it happened.
    Thoughts of road blocks and gas stations closed etc.
    Well the gas prices rose and some should have had their ass kicked for exploiting the problem.
    It is not a movie and if you look at history then you will have an idea as to what the problems will be.
    Each area will differ in the way things are handeld.
    Be it fires, riots, earth quakes or hurricanes.
    Americans will be there to help eachother again.
    Yes some problems will arise but we have mustered the backboe to TCOB before.
    Some people fear Motor Cycle Clubs. I do not call them gangs. I respect the two wheeled warriors for their respect.
    The 1% clubs are composed of a lot of veterans and before I met the folks I had never herd of a 1%er.
    So when you talk about gangs be specific please. Don't fog up the lines.
    I would trust a 1%er way before a lot of white collar city dwellers.
    If you really are into survival, relocate to where you wish. Don't think you will be bugging out to a place and welcome wioth open arms.
    Communities stick together so be part of it.
    Bond with your support groups. Know your neighbor and help eachother before emergencies happen.
    Is there an army of doap addics out there? I don't know. Are there Zombies? Sure there are , that is why we all need the zombie targets and bullets. Maybe some garlic too.
    http://beachbodycoach.com/esuite/home/KASHUBIAN

Have a safe day and be ready in all ways.

Bull

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Ads