Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Hot tub water?

This is a discussion on Hot tub water? within the Urban and Rural Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I did a little bit of research online about this but didn't see any definitive answer... I have a large hot tub on my deck, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hot tub water?

Hot tub water?

I did a little bit of research online about this but didn't see any definitive answer...

I have a large hot tub on my deck, and we keep the chemicals balanced and the filters clean - so the water is relatively clean. In a SHTF scenario, how safe is hot tub water as a water source?
    I was thinking that that it would need to be filtered - but I wasn't sure about all of the chemicals that go into hot tub water for balancing the pH, anti-foam, etc...

Thoughts?

I'd be more concerned about all of the dirty butts that have been soaking in it...

mmmmmm butt water
    usav8er likes this.

Im sure if you had to drink it, it would not kill you.

Hot tub water?

LOL! Yes... Butt water...

Most people have 1 to 5 ppm of chlorine in their drinking water already. The rest of the parameters for pool water balance are generally based on the "Langlier Saturation Index which was actually developed for the plumbing industry to protect plumbing pipes. Sodium bicarbonate(baking soda) is alkalinity increaser, Water hardness increaser is Calcium Chloride. Dissolved in water, they are pretty close to the same amts in drinking water. All additives are EPA approved..I don't see why drinking it in moderation would hurt you....Call the manfger of Anti Foam and ask them about that one....
    Last edited by Omega Man; 11-16-2012 at 05:15 AM.
    Prince Humperdink likes this.

PTAaron... It's not just the idea of drinking butt water that is disgusting. Let me clarify.... one of the things you have to be concerned about when drinking water from a natural source is feces contamination. Back to the hot tube... I don't care how well you wipe... well... you know where I'm going with that. Plus... some of your buddies (or you) might be peeing in it.... making it into a man-powered jacuzzi... or you might be involved in some type of physical relationship. Then... factor in all of the chemicals you added in so you feel somewhat o.k. about soaking in that water (assuming you do more than Omega Man listed)... and you are far from the ideal water source. But... with all that in mind... It's probably a lot better than drinking your own urine (as some TV survivalists do....)

Hot tub water?

Quote Originally Posted by WoadWarrior View Post
    PTAaron... It's not just the idea of drinking butt water that is disgusting. Let me clarify.... one of the things you have to be concerned about when drinking water from a natural source is feces contamination. Back to the hot tube... I don't care how well you wipe... well... you know where I'm going with that. Plus... some of your buddies (or you) might be peeing in it.... making it into a man-powered jacuzzi... or you might be involved in some type of physical relationship. Then... factor in all of the chemicals you added in so you feel somewhat o.k. about soaking in that water (assuming you do more than Omega Man listed)... and you are far from the ideal water source. But... with all that in mind... It's probably a lot better than drinking your own urine (as some TV survivalists do....)
    Good points. I definitely wasn't considering it as a primary source - more of a worst case source. A proper drinking water filter and perhaps some aquamira drops and we would be closer to "safe"?

Good question!! Like you I have a large, 420gal. hot tub on my screened in porch and also maintain the water quality all year. But my plans are to utilize this water for my gray water, baths, toilet usage, etc since I also store a large quality of potable water too. I have added two gutter drains one on each side of the porch to utilize in capturing rain runoff to refill the hot tub if needed and will also use this source for gardening if needed. But so far thinking of using it to drink has not entered my mind...so far.
    Paravani likes this.
    "What Goes Around Comes Around...I Just Make Get There Faster"

I am not too sure of getting past the baby batter. The butt water is the least of my worries

Cheese cloth & some drops of bleach wold be a necessity for me.
    Now back to the toe jam.... got any toast, Mmmm............

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads