Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Nuclear War

5K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  Seneca 
#1 ·
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I would like to bring this up because of the situation with Russia & the west. Does anyone here take a potential nuclear war seriously? Does anyone add nuclear war/fallout to their prepper plans? If so, is there any good reference websites/books/videos etc that you would suggest?

Thanks everyone.

#2 ·
I don't know If I would want to try and survive fallout! most of the animals to hunt would be dead anyhow!

Reactions: AquaHull
#4 ·
Wow!! all I can say, I only got through the first few posts on your linked thread SAR-1L , and I have seen we have another know-it-all on the forum!!

Reactions: AquaHull
#5 ·
watch this video, Do you really think you will want to try and survive a nuclear exchange!

#9 ·
I watched the whole series on youtube about the fallout affects on the children in Chernobyl, it was probably the hardest thing I have ever watched!

#13 ·
we need a BS and troll filter!

#20 · (Edited)
I just want to pimp the google patent search

for instance
https://www.google.com/?tbm=pts#q=fallout+shelter&tbm=pts

you can search civil defence such as fallout shelter patents :)

Not only this but following the white rabbit you can find even more info about the invetors, publications they have madeetc..

http://www.baiermarine.com/c5054/Company.html

This same guy who designed this shelter went on to found a marine hatch company for airtight seals..

https://www.google.com/patents/US31...a=X&ei=1sI4U7H1NMeHrQel7IDIBw&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA

There is a company out on the west coast that makes these sort of things saw it on infowars.

#23 ·
I just want to pimp the google patent search

for instance
https://www.google.com/?tbm=pts#q=fallout+shelter&tbm=pts

you can search civil defence such as fallout shelter patents :)

Not only this but following the white rabbit you can find even more info about the invetors, publications they have madeetc..

Flush Deck Marine Hatches

This same guy who designed this shelter went on to found a marine hatch company for airtight seals..

https://www.google.com/patents/US31...a=X&ei=1sI4U7H1NMeHrQel7IDIBw&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA

There is a company out on the west coast that makes these sort of things saw it on infowars.
I thought you didn't need this kind of malarkey. Duck and cover should work just fine for you.

Maybe these folks won't be as thick headed as I am and you can convince them that a thermonuclear war won't be that big of a deal?

#24 ·
And that the manufacturer of these bunkers can see the customer coming a mile away!

I can't wait to open the hatch and be the only living people left on the barren wasteland!!

#25 ·
Back in the cold war days I used to say that if Russia launched ICBMs, I was going to drive towards them. But as I think on, with my luck they would be duds and my truck would get impaled and I would be out a perfectly good truck. (Try explaining that one to the insurance company.)

#26 · (Edited)
Well I think perhaps Longlac is strategic enough to hit... as it has the only major bridge which crosses the only transcandian rail line between western and eastern canada at the same point... the secondary bridge and only natural gas pipeline which is slated to be the only oil line occur less than 1km away. I could see the area being hit by something...... it is probably one of the most strategic points in canada as far as east west is concerned...

I could be way wrong but I basically live smackdab between those points.

If it isnt conventional I'm f-ed with radiation unless I go deep. but that isn't likely frankly in the event of nuclear war i would think It would not be pretty.

They hit longlac and nipigon east west ground transport is cut through Canada.

If they hit international falls in the US route is pushed back even further perhaps even as far as winnipeg which also would probably be hit.

#30 ·
They hit longlac and nipigon east west ground transport is cut through Canada.
Admittedly, I have never been to Longlac. But I have been to the amethyst mines around Nipigon literally dozens of times. I am pretty sure you have nothing to worry about being nuked. I can see Alberta and Manitoba attacking Nipigon (and maybe Longlac) when they finally smarten up and decide to throw Ontario and Quebec out of Canada for being a bunch of freaks. But until then, I think you are pretty safe.

If they hit international falls in the US route is pushed back even further perhaps even as far as winnipeg which also would probably be hit.
International Falls, MN?!? You cannot be serious. Do you really think that Putin hates Bronko Nagurski enough to waste a nuke on his hometown? Or maybe it is the Walleyes? There is NOTHING else there!

Reactions: Slippy
#27 ·
It's good to be optimistic Will, But a nuclear exchange would be most devastating! realistically it wouldn't be worth surviving! and the land would be uninhabitable for a very long time! When one nuke goes off, it will most likely start a chain reaction between countries! Google the Samson Option! The money you spend on a bunker, could be spent on a nice retreat in the northern country with a bundle of supplies! And most likely Northern Canada will be relatively safe!

#31 ·
I know very little about Canada so I won't speculate there.

US target will be missile sites, military installations and major cities like DC, NYC, Philly, LA, SF. It would seem to me that cities on the coast or not that far in will be hit hard.

IF we do go to war with Russia, I hope it's conventional and not nuclear.

#32 ·
I saw on tv today that they are now letting tourists go to the exact spot were the first Nuclear bomb was detonated. The radiation level is about the same as a dental x-ray. I think watching a video of it is enough for me. Of course the cities of Nagasaki and Hiroshima are still populated.

I did see a documentary years ago that said that the best place to live in the U.S. for surviving a Nuclear attack was Eastern Idaho. Something to do with prevailing winds and likely targets, but that has been over 20 years ago, so who knows how much the likely target list has changed. It looks to me that our friends in Canada will be in the best shape, until the Nuclear Winter starts.

#33 ·
I did the map that was on the second or third post and it seems I am mostly ok with 100mt air-bursts on cities 100k or larger around me. Depending on the wind I might have to wait it out a few weeks for some fallout.

However, what about power plants? Do people think they would just rely on EMP to take them out or actually nuke them. Because if they nuke them I'm so screwed. LOL

#34 ·
Has anyone been to or seen pictures of Nagasaki and Hiroshima? A nuclear exchange does not turn the area into a wasteland - not even with the really dirty bombs we used back then. The modern nuke produces almost no fallout unless it is a ground detonation and that is a waste of a perfectly good nuke. The radiation from a modern nuke lasts less than a week and the secondary radiation will be confine to those metals exposed at close range to the initial blast.

I would rather live through a full on nuclear exchange than through the eruption of one of the medium sized super-volcanoes like Yellowstone.

#36 ·
Thank you for the replies everyone. And yes, I would try and survive a nuclear war (chances slim know!) but I have done a bit of research on the subject and a lot of fanatics say that people think it is a lot worse (and harder) to survive than it could be. I read somewhere that 1 year after the strongest nuclear missile goes off and radiation levels would be low enough to start growing crops again etc. Nuclear bomb radiation depletes much faster than say a nuclear power plant explosion (which take 1000's of years to go down).

I'm not saying what I've said is gospel as it is others research and opinion I'm going off of, and please correct me if you have another view point.

Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to hearing more responses on this matter.

#37 ·
Is nuclear winter even a real threat, or just another invention to keep the sheep scared? If most current warheads are designed to be detonated thousands of feet above the surface would there be enough material blasted into the atmosphere to cause the climate change predicted? I don't want to find out, but I question anything the experts tell me these days. We should all be dead from the hole in the ozone layer or freezing our asses off in an ice age according to the experts 20-40 years ago. The fact is it has never happened so no one knows what the results would be, it is all hypothetical.

#38 · (Edited)
I work well within the blast radius of most nuclear weapons from the new NSA mega-facility in Utah. There's no question the Russians have that place lined up.

Truthfully, nuclear war is the SHTF scenario I'm least prepared for...partly because it's the scenario I least want to survive. If we have some warning, I'd try to get my family to our remote BOL (where we may or may not be properly shielded from fallout). Otherwise I'd prefer to be at ground zero.

#39 ·
I call this nuclear winter that they keep bringing up BS, they talk about millions of tons of material being thrown up in the atmosphere. There have been volcanoes that are measured in cubic miles of material thrown up in the atmosphere. I don't know about how much a cubic mile of earth weighs but I am sure it would be in the billions of tons. The animals of Chernobyl survived with a level equaling 400 to 600 times Hiroshima. If you are not in the major blast zone then it isn't any different then any other SHTF that is talked about.

#41 · (Edited)
One only has to take 15 minutes of their time to watch children of Chernobyl to see the devastating affects of Radiation, How about some documentaries about Hiroshima survivors and how they were affected through out life! Yeah Surviving Nuclear fallout is a walk in the park!

when the first nuke goes off, everybody will be pointing fingers at each other and the rest of the launches will begin. You think Israel won't unleash it's Samson option at that time! I'm no expert, but I'm not a dummy either! the cold war was a good thing, because everybody had nukes pointing at each other keeping all the little shit head tyrants in check!

Reactions: Inor
#40 ·
I don't fear nuclear war as much as I fear a terrorist or third world nation detonating a nuke in a major population center. The MAD theory is quite real, and so long as no one starts getting the bright idea they can win I think we will be ok.

OK, so who else has ever touched a real life nuke?

#42 ·
Nuclear war may come about as a last act of defiance from a loosing side in an ongoing conventional war.

What if nukes were used inside a countries own borders to stop an otherwise successful invasion. Whos to blame if a country uses nukes on it's own soil.
Think that couldn't happen. It's just as likely happen as any other scenario. I didn't read all five pages, I'm jumping in here, so if this has been covered my apologies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.