Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

TVP shelf life

This is a discussion on TVP shelf life within the Survival Food Procurement forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Does anyone know what the shelf life is for textured vegetable protein? I actually love this stuff. I would have it in school and everyone ...

Thread: TVP shelf life

TVP shelf life

Does anyone know what the shelf life is for textured vegetable protein? I actually love this stuff. I would have it in school and everyone would call the hamburgers, soy burgers. If anyone has not tried this, its an excellent source of protein and fiber. If you are not used to eating a lot of fiber, please beware of the side effects!

Re: TVP shelf life

I just found out that it lasts about a year if stored in a container. Longer if with O2 absorbers and mylar bags of course.

As I was saying, the stuff is as good as you can flavor it. If you eat chicken, then flavor it with bullion cubes or powder. If you want it to taste like meat, then use beef cubes.

On another note, there is no risks of e coli, salmonella or other bacteria because its not meat.

To cook it, use about 3/4 cup of water to one cup of tvp and let it rehydrate itself. Figure about 1oz of tvp equals out to be 3oz when rehydrate. You will need to put the leftovers in the refrigerator after you cook it, just like anything else. You need to adjust the water level for the consistency of the tvp. You will have to experiment with it though. This stuff is great for preping and for backpacking.

It sounds great. Where can I find it? Is it expensive?
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Administrator

I eat this stuff. Its wonderful if you flavor it right and MUCH more healthier than beef. It usually runs about $1 per pound, but it yeilds out to be 3lbs when hydrated. So technically your eating it for $1 for 3lbs!!!! Shhhh.... everyone will run out and get it now. lol. You can find it at any supermarket that has health food isle. Its marked as TVP or Textured Vegetable Protein. Awesome stuff. zero fat, low cal etc etc.
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -Benjamin Franklin
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace". -George Washington
    "I most be getting to rightwing for the rightwingers, or too radical for the radicals
    ." -Fuzzee
    "one reason we prep is to be available when necessary to rebuild society here in America. Perhaps a less effluent society at first, but a civilized society." -rob

Awesome stuff. I got some of this this weekend at myers and here is the rundown. and by the way, be careful if your not used to a lot of fiber at once.

$3.49 for a 10oz (283g) bag of it, but like others have said it triples in size when added with water and cooked. Took me about 7-10 minutes to cook it all the way through and I added it with some tomato sauce and had it over pasta. I couldn't tell the difference from it and meat sauce. I used very little and if I was buying this to replace meat the meat would have cost me $15 dollars, so not a bad deal at all! I had a lot in the bag still and what I like is that you do not have to put it in the fridge. Here is what it has on the back of the package.

Total Fat: 0g
    Sat fat: 0g
    Trans fat:0g
    Sodium: 2mg
    Potassium: 594mg
    Total carbs: 7g
    dietary fiber: 4g
    sugars: 3g
    Protein: 12g
    Calories: 80
    Iron: 15%
    Vitamin c: 0%
    Phosphorus: 17%
    Vit a: 0%
    Calcium:8%
    Magnesium: 18%

I forgot to say, the expiration date is 5-18-2013 and I'm sure that it can be kept longer with oxygen absorbers in sealed mylar bags.

Ads