Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Experiment - Mineral Oiled Eggs

4K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  oddapple 
#1 ·
So I've read on here and other sites about extending the shelf life of eggs by coating the egg with mineral oil. I've been doing this for about 2 months now. I coated the eggs thoroughly with mineral oil and have been storing unrefrigerated in a darkened closet for 2 months now.

So today I decided to test some out and see if it truly works like I have read. My first batch was oiled 9/21 making them 2 months old as of yesterday. My first observation was that there is absolutely no odor from the whole uncracked egg. I crack open the first egg, braced for the smell of rotten egg but again, absolutely no foul odor. The egg smells perfectly fine.

I decide to fry it up. I notice that the white seems to separate from the yolk quite a bit unlike a typical fresh fried egg. Made it difficult for flipping the egg but all in all no big deal. You can see what I mean in the 3rd pic.

The scary part, the taste test. I really don't want to end up in the ER with salmonella poisoning. All I can say is it tastes exactly like a fresh fried egg. No odor, no weird taste. Really hope I don't get sick lol.

I now have a pot boiling on the stove to see how they do hardboiled and how easily the shell peels off.

If I don't get sick then this has really extended my families food stores. I have over 30 more dozen eggs in the pantry right now.

Food Egg yolk Ingredient Tableware Dish
Food Egg yolk Tableware Fried egg Egg white
Food Ingredient Tableware Cuisine Dish

See less See more
#2 ·
I guess if you stop posting, we'll know your DEAD! :eek:

Good Luck,
AJ

#5 ·
You'll be fine.The mineral oil replaces the washed off natural oils and will preserve the egg for months without refrigeration.

A female member on another forum who taught me about mineral oil just recently ate 10 month old eggs and they were fine.

Many Amish,around here, do the same by simply just not washing (eww) the natural coating of the egg off.Can be stored at room temp and will not incubate or spoil for quite some time.

But for safety,always follow your nose.

#13 ·
The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel. I always wondered why it seemed like some batches of eggs were easy to peel, others acted like the shell was super glued to the egg...I learned it all had to do with the freshness of the egg! So buy your Easter eggs about two weeks before Easter or spend all day peeling them...:D

Reactions: BagLady and Kahlan
#16 ·
One sure way (of many I assure you) to piss Mrs Slippy off is for me to take some boiled eggs that she is peeling, put them in a small pot with a touch of water at the bottom. Place the lid on the pot and vigorously shake the pot for a minute. Take off the lid and walah, the eggs are peeled. For some reason that hacks her off compared to the more conventional method of individually peeling each egg. I think she gets mad because she knows that I am smarter than she is in spite of many years of heavy drinking.

#20 ·
I have neither a cellar nor basement. A root cellar is on my immediate wish list but doubt it happens anytime soon. So I'm storing mine in a dark closet covered with black out curtains. The closet is about the coldest "room" in the house. But it's been well past 24 hours and I didn't get sick so the closet seems to be working for me.

#24 ·
Good article on storing eggs-

Egg Preserving Test Conclusions

At the end of seven months (all of our experiment that was finished and processed at the time this issue went to press), then, we had drawn these conclusions about our egg preservation experiment:

[1] Unwashed, fertile homestead eggs seem to store much better than washed, unfertile agribiz eggs. Why? Probably for the simple reason that they're unwashed . . . and not because they're fertile. Hen fruit, as it comes from the chicken, is coated with a light layer of a natural sealing agent called "bloom". And, while a good wash may make a batch of eggs look more attractive, it also removes this natural protective coating . . . leaving the eggs more subject to aging and attack by the air and bacteria in the air.

[2] The very best way we've found to stash eggs away for long-term storage is in a sealed container at a temperature of 35 degrees Fahrenheit to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Their whites may become somewhat runny looking over a period of time, but even after seven months-the cackleberries stored in this manner smell good, taste good, have a good texture, and - in short - seem "almost fresh".

[3] The widely touted idea of covering eggs with a solution of one part water glass (sodium silicate) mixed with nine parts of boiled and cooled water does indeed seem to work better than any other "room temperature" preservation method we tried. If our experiences are any indication, though, it's really good for only about five months and is a distant second to controlled refrigeration.

Another point: As good as some eggs kept in water glass were, almost every batch we opened seemed to contain one real stinker. Which makes it a superior idea to open any water glassed egg (or any egg, for that matter) separately into a cup . . . where it may be inspected before pouring it into a skillet, pan, or dish with other food.

[4] Unwashed, fertile eggs submerged in a solution of 16 parts water/2 parts lime/1 part salt, packed in lard, and coated with lard seem to keep at room temperature almost as well as unwashed fertile eggs that have been given the water glass treatment. Washed, unfertile eggs do not.

[5] Unwashed, fertile eggs packed in dry sand or coated with vaseline and stored at room temperature keep a little longer - but not much - than unwashed fertile eggs that are just left lying out at room temperature. Washed, unfertile eggs exhibit the same characteristics . . . with all storage times running a few days less across the board.

[6] Forget packing any kind of eggs in wet sand or sawdust! Our tests show that such methods of "preservation" can turn eggs rotten within a month and are worse than doing nothing at all to the hen fruit.

Read more: How to Store Fresh Eggs - Real Food - MOTHER EARTH NEWS

#31 ·
for a serious SHTF .... I plan on acquiring 50-100 dozen eggs from a local rural egg ranch - a current established buying relationship - eggs rite from the chicken unwashed - possibly a few hens to establish a home coop ...

have gallons of sodium silicate in storage to make water glass solution .... I use pop coolers as hard case/padded storage for my delicate & critical preps - the coolers will be my modern version of earthenware crocks of the old homestead fashion .... my basement is a cold cellar and perfect temp for long term food storage ....

I plan on keeping the eggs in cartons or repacking the eggs if necessary (extra poly foam cartons in storage) .... eggs stored in water glass need to be flipped monthly to keep the egg white from attaching to the shell .... the carton storage method allows for eazy monthly flipping ....

I've seen reports of successful egg storage upwards of 9 months using this method .....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.