Automatic or Manual Transmission
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Automatic or Manual Transmission within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; So for your BOV do have a manual transmission or an automatic and why. For me it is a manual . I notice that a ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Automatic or Manual Transmission

So for your BOV do have a manual transmission or an automatic and why.

For me it is a manual . I notice that a lot of folks no longer drive manual transmissions so for me it is somewhat of a security measure.
    paraquack likes this.
    Survival Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days. Prepping What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months Seeds and livestock What you need for long term subsistence.

The Good Cop

I drove trucks for years. 10 speeds and more. At my age I have earned an automatic.
    My GMC pickup is 4WD and auto, off road kit, HD towing package.
    SGG and MisterMills357 like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I drove manual's until about twenty years ago, changed from a Bronco to a Grand Cherokee, but still had the F150 with 4 speed.

When I changed the truck for a second Jeep, that ended the manual's.

Like @rice paddy daddy , I drove many different manuals including dual range ones over six decades (I am older than him).

When I started automatics were rare and Chrysler products had a clutch to go with theirs.

The first automatic was a 1951 Ford Custom with a Fordomatic tranny.

They would not then take much abuse before burning out plates.

Today's automatics are pretty rugged and reliable, at least I don't have to replace clutches and pilot bearing anymore.

You are less likely to break up a torque converter than frying a clutch plate and disc trying to get unstuck somewhere.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 04-05-2017 at 03:07 PM.
    rice paddy daddy, SGG and inceptor like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

Yup. I can remember when automatics were an option you had to factory order and pay extra for.
    Like the old Chevy two speed.
    All autos were called slush boxes back in the day.
    They are so much improved today it's like comparing the Wright Flyer to an F-16.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 04-05-2017 at 09:44 PM.
    inceptor likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Ill go auto - much more resilient today and requires less PMCS vs a manual tranny. Not that manuals are cheap but autos greatly reduce the chance of be breaking a flywheel, clutch or linkage

sent from a paper cup and string via quantum wierdness

I would prefer a manual for a SHTF rig. Mainly for being able to push, pull or roll it down a hill to get the rig started if needed. However right now I have an auto. Finding a 4x4 van was hard enough, manual trans, forget about it.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Yup. I can remember when automatics were an option you had to factory order and pay extra for.
    Like the old Chevy two speed.
    All autos were known called slush boxes back in the day.
    They are so much improved today it's like comparing the Wright Flyer to an F-16.
    2 speed old chevys with the powerglide transmission. Had a couple of them.

Many stick shifts in my day. 1947 Chevy straight 6 step side 4 speed granny gear , 66 Chevy stepside V6 jimmy 4 speed granny gear, 71 Cougar 351 Cleveland 4 speed with Hurst shifter, tons of 3 on the trees just to name a couple.

Sticks in todays traffic probably would be a pain in the butt. Full auto now. But a clutch is like riding a bike you never forget.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 04-05-2017 at 04:05 PM.
    inceptor and homefire like this.
    "Always drink upstream from the herd."

In most cases today auto pull more than a manual . They generally hold up better and longer. Even in large vehicles Auto's have taken over a lot of ground. Army vehicles almost all auto's now. To darn hard to drink coffee and shift at the same time .
    Every thing except the bikes around here is auto .
    Last edited by Smitty901; 04-05-2017 at 04:34 PM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

My pick up is manual tranny
    My Civic is auto
    Hell, anybody can do that. Hold my beer I'll prove it

I stick with a manual for the BOV, less to break. The automatic has the following problems trans cooler in front of the rad, oil pan underneath, and hard to repair. Replacing a clutch isn't that hard. I've also seen setups that allow removal of the shifter when you leave. Makes it pretty hard to steal if you can't put it in gear.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links