Automatic or Manual Transmission - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Automatic or Manual Transmission

This is a discussion on Automatic or Manual Transmission within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; I learned to drive both. Being in the auto repair business you have to. A lot of these kids working with me don't know how ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Automatic or Manual Transmission

I learned to drive both. Being in the auto repair business you have to. A lot of these kids working with me don't know how to drive a stick shift! They ask me to drive the car in the shop for them. The old manual transmission holds up rather well and the autos are complicated to work on. Just pick your poison and run with it.
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    As long as you're not in too big of a hurry, you can shift without a clutch on most vehicles. It's a matter of timing it right.
    Yup RPM's is everything.
    inceptor likes this.
    "Always drink upstream from the herd."

If you're talking new vehicles and fuel mileage then auto is the way to go no matter how good of shifter you are the way these new cars and trucks are set up you most likely will not out do the auto.
    Now old school is a whole nother story Manual was the way to have total control of power and fuel economy.
    Slippy, hawgrider and homefire like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

My first car was a 3 on the tree. I might add the bushing were well worn. We grew up driving split shift axles, Two stick Macks. We even had a 2 stick 16 speed one for awhile. Today autos kick the manuals ass.
    Even in trucks.
    Before retiring it was nothing for our company crew trucks to run 250K. They were more likely to be wrecked before major breakdown took them out of service. I watched as over time the manuals were replaced by Auto's and right along with that went number of uninterrupted days on the job increased. We tracked that very close. By manufacture, model. We had a standing joke, The Fords went more days with out failure than Chev, but when they did the Ford was out of service longer for parts. The Dodges drove us nuts with little things failing. The Fords had more work related back injury claims . The Internationals spent a lot of time in the shop and took several trips back before they were fixed. We did not like to talk about them.
    These trucks and car we can now chnage oil , put fuel in chnage oil and drive and keep driving . I understand the old school love affair with then old truck . They were not that great.
    On my personal vehicles I can not remember the last major mechanical problem related to engine or transmission.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I also drove a 16 speed two stick White. While the 2 sticks were interesting what I really didn't like was the "Armstrong Steering". 12,000 lbs on the steering tires makes for a good workout backing into a tight dock. @Smitty901
    Talk is cheap, actions count.

does it really matter? I mean really.
    I can drive anything and both have advantages
    but if you only got one hand to use better have an auto -now I am sure some donkey bucker will say something like " I can drive a stick with one hand"
    newer vehicles have been engineered to get better mileage in a auto cause the sticks are cheaper it work on and last longer some of us remember the gas wars of the mid seventies when for some reason just about every auto manufacture had a brain fart and put out some real lemons like the k car chevette and the Granada for starters.
    nothing to see here, move along.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    I also drove a 16 speed two stick White. While the 2 sticks were interesting what I really didn't like was the "Armstrong Steering". 12,000 lbs on the steering tires makes for a good workout backing into a tight dock. @Smitty901
    One we had was behind a 318 Detroit. All you did was shift up and own to keep moving.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

just to have something to add, here in sweden about 98 % of cars has a stick shift. When you get your drivning licence, your trial will be conducted in a stick shift car, no exeptions.
    Oddcaliber and RJAMES like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RJAMES View Post
    So for your BOV do have a manual transmission or an automatic and why.

For me it is a manual . I notice that a lot of folks no longer drive manual transmissions so for me it is somewhat of a security measure.
    I like an automatic transmission. Fuel economy is part of it. I've had several vehicles with a stick, it's more preference. I had a jeep wrangler with the lag or whatever it is in it. It drove me nuts shifting all the time.

Perhaps my definition of BOV and daily driver are totally different from other peoples. These are two totally separate applications. My daily driver is a late model Ram 1500 with power steering, power brakes, a/c, and the rest of the toys. If SHTF it's very doubtful that I will use this for my BOV. My BOV is a 62 ford with a manual trans, generator, and no power steering or power brakes. This vehicle will NEVER see 20,000 miles let alone 100,000 miles. Anytime this vehicle would be started it would become a target. So it would truly only be used in an emergency.

The reason I have an old ford for my BOV is the following:
    If I take shot to the radiator, I can fix it with JB weld and I don't loose my transmission cooler.
    If it's an EMP I don't have to worry about trying to figure out where I can find sensors and ECM to replace.
    It has real steel everywhere. I realize a shot will still go through sheet metal but, I can weld steel plate to the sheet metal.
    I don't care if I need to go out and shoot a coat of black primer on it to give me some stealth.
    If the battery is dead or takes a shot. I just need a little hill to pop start it.
    It will run on a lot of different fuels.

The one thing I have learned about prepping. Survival trumps comfort. This vehicle is definitely not as comfortable as my ram, but I feel my survival is a lot better in it during SHTF.

Quote Originally Posted by RJAMES View Post
    So for your BOV do have a manual transmission or an automatic and why.

For me it is a manual . I notice that a lot of folks no longer drive manual transmissions so for me it is somewhat of a security measure.
    RJAMES likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links