Automatic or Manual Transmission - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Automatic or Manual Transmission

This is a discussion on Automatic or Manual Transmission within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; The big difference between a new vehicle with sensors and ecm vs. a 62 ford with points is. If you stash away a small CD ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Automatic or Manual Transmission

The big difference between a new vehicle with sensors and ecm vs. a 62 ford with points is. If you stash away a small CD box for the 62 ford, then put it on after the SHTF. The points will last forever.

The biggest difference is, I can make that 62 ford run on a lot of different things: Alcohol, gasoline, well drippings, LPG, NG and wood gas. If you tried this with a new car and an ECM that's not configured it may run in limp home mode until the cat plugs or the spark plugs melt.

Also, if I have bad points I can make them work with a emery board and match book. You can't do that with bad sensors.[QUOTE=Smitty901;1108033]Lot of vehicles with ECm's will not push start anyway unless there is 9 volts going to ECM. It is a horse a peace. The modern

If you can drive a standard Transmission vehicle, you can drive anything!

[QUOTE=modfan;1108425]The big difference between a new vehicle with sensors and ecm vs. a 62 ford with points is. If you stash away a small CD box for the 62 ford, then put it on after the SHTF. The points will last forever.

The biggest difference is, I can make that 62 ford run on a lot of different things: Alcohol, gasoline, well drippings, LPG, NG and wood gas. If you tried this with a new car and an ECM that's not configured it may run in limp home mode until the cat plugs or the spark plugs melt.

Also, if I have bad points I can make them work with a emery board and match book. You can't do that with bad sensors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Lot of vehicles with ECm's will not push start anyway unless there is 9 volts going to ECM. It is a horse a peace. The modern
    I get all that. Give me a old 6v53 Detroit it will burn most fuel even old oil . But if you take the averages the newer run trouble free many many miles more. Heck most card now 150-200,000 on a set of plugs.
    It get harder all the time to find parts for the old stuff. And dam sure won't be any laying around post STHF. Even my old JD tractor I have to special order parts for it now 1960.
    My first car was 1964 Impala 3 speed manual plugs and point every 5K
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I love driving a stick. I drove a 10 speed tank truck for a few years, and loved it. My Kia has an automatic transmission with the option for manually operated automatic, which I'll occasionally drive strictly for fun.
    Respect everything, fear nothing.

considering doing a bov myself. with todays electronics the expense of having misc computers etc in a safe can, would be very expensive and complex to replace, been working on cars since the cast iron days (auto transmissions) with an auto transmission if you go back to pre electronic (hydraulic only) less to replace. what I work on these days just will not fly without all electronics working correctly, today dual clutch computer controlled manual transmissions w no clutch pedal (search on youtube ford DSP6 problems) the newer cvt's in jeeps etc etc they do not hold up with normal use, myself I would stay pre 80's automatic or manual transmissions. I have built boxes to unplug the computer and manually control the shifts and pressures on automatics for testing purposes, but would still avoid late model automatics for a bov. just my 2 cents one of the companies who manufactured some nice testing equipment transx 2000, had to drop out after the 4 speed automatics they couldn't keep up with technology and the changing adapters, I still have mine. might find one on ebay cheap with adapter to fit a newer 4 speed auto trans to put in bov.
    Last edited by prepper850; 04-19-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Automatics is the modern way to fly.

While your stashing things for BOV you better stash a set of Alternator Diodes or if you can't change them stash a whole Alternator.

Well if you think about it SHTF right now. Flip a switch it is on full scale. A month from now you need to savage parts. What kind of vehicles are most likely be be sitting around. It won't be your trusty old 62 chev or ford truck. One of the ways we kept that old stuff running was parts. Chev ran at least a 5 years parts block . There were always parts some where. To day you are much more like to find parts for a Kia than a bare bone old truck. And if you had to swap a transmission much more likely to find an auto than anything else
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I have various off road/ranch vehicles, some of which are manual and some with automatic transmissions. They each have advantages and disadvantages. If I had to choose one, it would be an automatic. They have tremendous advantages in that it is far easier to fire your weapon and drive at the same time and not worry about shifting. The bigger plus for me is if you become injured, are alone, and need to still drive (think broken leg, gun shot wound etc.) you can do so if one leg is incapacitated.

Quote Originally Posted by Go2ndAmend View Post
    I have various off road/ranch vehicles, some of which are manual and some with automatic transmissions. They each have advantages and disadvantages. If I had to choose one, it would be an automatic. They have tremendous advantages in that it is far easier to fire your weapon and drive at the same time and not worry about shifting. The bigger plus for me is if you become injured, are alone, and need to still drive (think broken leg, gun shot wound etc.) you can do so if one leg is incapacitated.
    As long as you're not in too big of a hurry, you can shift without a clutch on most vehicles. It's a matter of timing it right.
    hawgrider likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links