Automatic or Manual Transmission - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Automatic or Manual Transmission

This is a discussion on Automatic or Manual Transmission within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; Manual transmissions are hip, automatics are now practical....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Automatic or Manual Transmission

Manual transmissions are hip, automatics are now practical.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

[QUOTE=Chipper;1107225]I would prefer a manual for a SHTF rig. Mainly for being able to push, pull or roll it down a hill to get the rig started if needed.
    I have manual for just this reason.
    RJAMES likes this.
    Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. George Washington

Aut Pax Aut Bellum.

[QUOTE=Gunn;1107609]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    I would prefer a manual for a SHTF rig. Mainly for being able to push, pull or roll it down a hill to get the rig started if needed.
    I have manual for just this reason.
    I drove a dump truck that I swear had no battery - Now it was back in 75 or 76 so perhaps I am not remembering too good. Perhaps it was just a bad battery. You had to park it on a hill, pull the blocks out from in front of the wheels, let off the emergency hand brake, let out on the clutch with it in 2nd gear once it got going to get it to start. And make sure you never let it die unless you were parked on a hill to get her going again. The truck was more than beat up and no longer street legal no heat, no windshield , no wipers, no turn signals and no working head lights. I drove it for three summers and saw it still in use still being parked on a hill as late as 85.
    Survival Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days. Prepping What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months Seeds and livestock What you need for long term subsistence.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

SGG

Denton likes this.

Manual, and Manual, Automatic in the daily driver.

But a thought on a bug out vehicle..... ATV with a good trailer may make a dandy bug out vehicle. 4 wheel drive with differential lock, narrow enough to fit between backed up cars and great for off road, ride 2 people with 1000 lbs of stuff in the trailer.
    RJAMES likes this.
    Talk is cheap, actions count.

I've owned 2 Excursions. Yea, they were greatly misunderstood.
    SGG likes this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Parents,
    Teach your kids to drive a manual transmission. Make it a requirement in order to get a license. I know CDL drivers who cannot drive a manual and just shake my head.
    modfan likes this.

I learned how to drive on manual's. 3 on the tree, 4 on the floor. ( Dad was in the car business ) Practicality and reliability these days dictate auto. Driving a manual in rush hour is a pain.
    Last edited by Prepared One; 04-06-2017 at 07:00 AM.
    inceptor likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Lot of vehicles with ECm's will not push start anyway unless there is 9 volts going to ECM. It is a horse a peace. The modern-day vehicles run and keep going many more miles without issues than the old school dreams we have. Of course a hammer does not fix much on the newer ones. Old school goes down parts are going to be a big problem. More modern you can like find a part to take off something else.
    New vehicles are tailor made of part change outs.
    I have fought this battle in my head and heart for years on motorcycles. In the end the new wins once reason takes over and the dreams of old school turn to real world nightmares.
    And 1962 Chev truck with no points will not run any better than a 2017 chev with a failed sensors. Chance are good in 2017 you have an easier time finding a sensor than a set of points. A 1962 Ford would never run 200,000 miles pretty much problem free. I have know many modern Ford trucks that went even more. Flip a coin
    RJAMES likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

As @Slippy said, all should learn to drive both, SHTF, you never know what you may have to get into.

Hell, I even had a GI drivers licence for tanks and all other track layers.

Some of the army trucks I drove early on were manual, then changed over to dual range hydro's.

It will never hurt to learn how on as many as are available to you, even bulldozers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links