Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

BOV for sale?

This is a discussion on BOV for sale? within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; Originally Posted by www.BigBugOutTrucks.com Here at Big Bug Out Trucks bobbed deuce military surplus I have been testing a new lightweight armor for vehicles. It ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: BOV for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by www.BigBugOutTrucks.com View Post
    Here at Big Bug Out Trucks bobbed deuce military surplus I have been testing a new lightweight armor for vehicles. It is kevlar impregnated with a non newtonion fluid (silica nano particles). The silica nano particles lock together under blunt trauma and deny penetration. It weighs less than conventional armor plating yet is flexible.

Attachment 2600

A BOV should have enough space to cary an ATV or bicycle for situations like the picture I added.

IF you own a car, truck or minivan you already have a BOV that is non conspicuous however the down side to them is that well you really have no advantage over everyone else stuck on the highway!

In the event you need to avoid traffic blocks or push through them get a vehicle no smaller that a M35a2 and yes put at least 46" tall tires! The taller tires afford you the ability to run over other cars when pushing them out of the way is not possible.
    How expensive is the armor your talking about and what will it stop?

That is a good picture, I bet that every city will look like that when SHTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugoutray View Post
    How expensive is the armor your talking about and what will it stop?

That is a good picture, I bet that every city will look like that when SHTF.

That was a picture of China's 9 day traffic Jam in 2010 it was 100 km long.
    A normal Kevlar vest takes 14 layers of Kevlar to stop a 45acp but once its impregnated with the silica nano particles it only takes 4 layers to stop 45 acp.
    To answer your question I don't have a price point yet but it's stopping power is layer count dependent.

I think its fair to say if you have anything that looks tough enough some f*cker will want it at all cost from ya.

I have 2 BOL's I can reach within 30 minutes, (one in 2 minutes) so transport for me is a waste of resources, although I have a BOV just in case !!

sometimes it easier to focus on the basics than to "what if" in regards to BOV's IMHO.
    I have 2 atb's for inaccessible areas in the back of the transit van for scoot n shoot !! lol !

i'm in the uk so no need for bullet proofing !!

My bov vehicle is actually a 3 part deal. I live in a semi urban area, and the rest of my crew live out in the sticks, about 100 miles away, close to my bol. I ride a bike almost exclusivley in the city, because its cheap and inco spicuous here. But i cant carry much. So...i have positioned my previous place of residence, an old rv, in a storage facility about 40 miles away. This way, i may be able to navigate killer city traffic, travelling light, and make it to my cumbersome bug out vehicle, outside the city, and go from there. More steps involved, more flexibility also. I live on the coazt here, so a boat would be ideal..

Ooops, the whole point of that post was to say that, if my system soynds like something you could do, or an rv is an option you have considered (there is a thread on here about rvs as bov) i have a perfectly decent extra rv, that is currently in storage, not being used. Though you may be in the wrong place for such an arrangment.

I think the viability of any BOV depends on a mix of issues. For instance, do you need to carry much or is your BOL supplied? To spend money on a elaborate BOV when you don't have a BOL with a lot of storage put away is probably a inadvisable priority. So here are my questions/considerations:

What sort of scenario are you contemplating? What is your route and how far is it over all? What sort of area are you going to be passing through? What budget do you wish to apply to this vehicle? How many people will be in the vehicle? How much cargo? What features do you really need? Do you want all that military stuff or are you trying to be a gray man?

Personally, I want to avoid a bug out, so I am unlikely to be first out. Every disaster I have experienced the ability to move around has been constrained. The latest was Hurricane Sandy which completely blocked the area with felled trees. Will your choice of vehicles work in scenarios with road blockages? In Sandy your best BOV would have been any vehicle with a chain saw in the back. My need is to carry more people than stuff. We need 4x4 in the winter around here just for daily driving, so we have a collection of SUVs already. I've been partial to Jeep Grand Cherokees for a long time, so there are two old Grand Cherokees in the family fleet now. My son and his wife drive SUVs, one of which is another Jeep. One family member has a 4x4 pickup. Recently I decided I wanted to do something a bit more aggressive so I bought an old diesel Suburban that could be charitably called a project car. This will be the first vehicle I have purchased with the intent of it being primarily a BOV, as opposed to a daily driver where I considered having to use it as a BOV in my choice of vehicle. This will be a BOV that occasionally gets used on long distance drives and when it comes in handy to move large groups or large objects. It needs extensive restoration to even be a reliable truck. When restored my hope is it could drive by and you wouldn't even notice it.

Would this be a good choice for someone else? Beats me. It was my choice for my circumstances.
    Last edited by Diver; 05-04-2015 at 01:37 AM.

I have seen a few but it really depends on what you call a bug out vehicle. one I should have bought was a restored luv pu with 4 wheel drive the guy only wanted a grand -it was small had a 4 banger and was a stick but is easy to work on and can find parts everywhere to keep it running-would it be a bug out vehicle ?I thought so. now I got a big azz ford f250 dual tanks and a extra 30 gallon fuel-n tool on separate lines we swapped the 351 out and put the 300 six in it cause it's a better motor I think. I have also seen a few duces for sale and 5 tons my bud just bough a 5 ton with a communication box on the back though that was cool.
    nothing to see here, move along.

First, prepare to stay where your preps are.
    If you have a place to go that is safer than you home then set that location up as self sufficient.
    prepare it for long term survival.
    Then, and only then is a bugout vehicle useful to you.
    The question becomes, What do I need in a bugout vehicle?
    If you are going to get out at the first sign of trouble (very smart) then most any vehicle that can make it from home to your BOL on a single tank of fuel is all you need.
    If you are going to wait until you have to fight your way from home to your BOL (stupid) then nothing will be an excellent BOV. The French underground stopped tanks in WWII with gallon jugs of gasoline and a piece of cotton. (or a chunk of "firewood" placed in the track)
    My point here is that if you have to move from home to a bug-out location:
    1. it should be stocked with a years worth of food
    2. it should have a working garden and livestock
    3. it should be off grid or off grid ready
    4. you should get there BEFORE trouble breaks out

If you are wrong then you have a nice couple of days away from the city, but if you are right then you just saved the lives of your family.
    Medic33, Denton and Jakthesoldier like this.
    Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by BUNKERDOWN View Post
    I"m looking for a BOV for sale. I live in the city and my bug out location is about 120 miles away. Has anyone came across a real BOV for sale. The best thing I have found is the 2 MRAP styled trucks of govliquidation. One sold for 60 some thousand and the other for 100 grand plus the 18% in fees and tax. Both of those trucks look like they just put a box on a stock M923A2, they are also listed as "MRAP styled" meaning not even bulletproof. I live in the Pacific NW where every one has a rifle, My BOV has to be bulletproof and be able to plow through cars and road blocks. I see Bugoutray has posted his build and might be building more for sale. Has anyone found a real BOV for sale?
    I'm sorry, but for a 120 mile journey, that is the worst possible bug out vehicle. You plant a massive target on your back saying "hey look at me in a military vehicle! I have stuff you want"

120 miles is a two hour drive going the speed limit on any freeway. Look at something simple and inconspicuous. Pickup, suv, hell, even something small and light like a Subaru or an EVO. Rally cars are made to off-road, and fast.

What kind of cars do all of your neighbors have? Get something that fits in, but can move fast if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugoutray View Post
    I disagree with this, when SHTF everyone is going to head for the hills, when there food,gas, and water run out people will do bad things to survive, if you have a running vehical, horse or just food you will be a target. This is why I am building my bug out vehical the way it is. My opinion is every BOV should be bulletproof, large enough to carry alot of supplies and go just about anywere.
    Food for thought. Your radiator isn't bullet proof. Unless you have airless tires, they aren't bullet proof either.

Unless you have your own air filtration system it isn't gas proof.

No matter how awesome your air filter, heavy smoke will choke your engine.

You can't drive over a road block.

Large vehicles filled with supplies are targets.

I don't care how awesome your vehicle is, if people want to stop you, they will, they will breach you, and you will probably die for making them exert so much effort.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads