Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Army surplus armoured vehicles

This is a discussion on Army surplus armoured vehicles within the Strictly Bug Out Vehicles forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; I daydream of getting something like a surplus U.S. M-113 armored personnel carrier, countless thousands have been built over the past 50 years and used ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Lucky Jim
  • 2 Post By Lucky Jim

Thread: Army surplus armoured vehicles

Army surplus armoured vehicles

I daydream of getting something like a surplus U.S. M-113 armored personnel carrier, countless thousands have been built over the past 50 years and used by many armies around the world.
    They're a bit outdated now and being replaced by newer APC's, so maybe we could pick one up cheap somewhere to use in a SHTF world; they're bulletproof so we could drive around with immunity, although the highish fuel consumption might be a problem.

M-113

They're roomy inside, so you could even live in them with your family if you have to-

Or if you didn't want to use them for travel, you could dig them into the ground to use as a static bunker, just shovel a thin layer of earth on top, and plant a few shrubs and bushes to conceal the periscope, ventilation tube and roof hatch and nobody would know you're there. Some versions have a small turret with machinegun which of course you'd camouflage and leave sticking up above ground too.
    This Bradley (being visited by Dick Cheney in Germany in 1989) is not an M-113 but it shows how any APC can be dug in. In time of war they'd finish the job by piling soil, branches and shrubbery on top for total concealment, leaving just enough visibility to spot an approaching enemy and engage him with the gun-
    Last edited by Lucky Jim; 09-20-2012 at 03:21 PM.

M113s for sale all over right now if you know where to look... Law Enforcement Agencies bought them but cannot afford them anymore so they are going relatively cheap!

Two things I remember about them. They ard not bullet proof, and they are not comfortable.

It would be fun to drop the kids off at soccer practice in one of these.
    "In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish mans devours all he has." Proverbs 21:20

http://prepperrecon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Two things I remember about them. They ard not bullet proof, and they are not comfortable.
    Yeah I heard some high-powered rifles and MG's can penetrate them but they're still a lot more bulletproof than a typical softskin car..
    As for comfort, if it was the only alternative to camping outside in subzero conditions after your house has been torched by zombs, i'd choose the armored draught-proof, rain-proof , fire-proof armored box (M-113) every time.
    This dood is in one, it can be made roomier by slinging out military gear and fixtures, allowing you to get your whole family in there including mother-in-law..

Last edited by Lucky Jim; 09-20-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    Denton likes this.

Any links to where to buy one of these?

This place seems to have a large range of stuff including an M-113 at 137,000 dollars, but we needn't stick to the M-113 as there are also other useful-looking boxy APC's listed such as the M-59 for only 47,000 dollars, i guess we'd have to shop around-

Armor Page 1
    Last edited by Lucky Jim; 09-20-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    socom8721 and Dropy like this.

OK, thanks. One more reason to look up to the orange, sun-like ball and bask - the thought of being trapped in an APC with my mother in law.

Some dood has got this russki T-34 tank in London, it was used in war films over the years and finally sold off for 7000 GB pounds (11,000 US dollars)
    Mandela Way T-34 Tank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Lucky Jim; 09-29-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Ads