Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Bug out bag ammo

15K views 24 replies 22 participants last post by  PaulS 
#1 ·
Do you carry an assortment of ammo in your bob, or just the type you need? It seems like a great idea to carry more than one type incase you run across someone in need or willing to barter.

#3 ·
Not at this time My CC is on me and that should do to get me home. If I am in a major city the first sign of trouble I am head the other way out of town. There will be time to leave.
My one son that has a bit farther to come has a long gun mount in both vehicles and BOB for them in both routes planned that avoid all cities.
No plan is prefect just have some thing you can work with.

#5 · (Edited)
Two years ago all heck broke lose in Madison Wisconsin. I needed to stop by the VA that is in the area where all the lefty's do they thing. Two Madison LEO though I was one of those Tea party member's and beat the hell out of me because I had a US flag on my vest. Thanks to one Milwaukee LEO that was assigned to help out in Madison he pulled them off. But even he did not have the courage to do anything about it he told me to get the Hell out of Madison.
I knew the Teachers and unions were doing their thing I did not see it as a problem going to the VA . I learned my lesson. Next time I am shooting my way out and if I can not going to be there at all.
So if I seem a bit hard some times I have my reason what I have seen has shaped how I will act and why. Contact with the DA resulted me being told to rethink what my next step would be, and Maybe I did not learn my lesson. This happened a lot during that time
BOB or not My plan is to avoid contact with anyone.

Reactions: nechaev
#7 ·
As mentioned previously, It's either stay in place or hit the road in the RV or truck and if it's the road, and realizing that there is no way I can haul all of my ammo and guns, I have a what I refer to as my "to go" boxes. I store all my ammo in Grade 1 surplus 30 cal ammo boxes and for each of my primaries, 380, 9mm and 30 cal M1 Carbine, I have one of those boxes set up for each that has all the spare mags and at least 2 spare boxes of ammo for each caliber. I also have one of those 30 cal boxes set up in the RV with the cleaning supplies. Just a not, I tried the 50 caliber boxes, but found out that they were just two heavy and took up too much space.

#8 ·
I used to go overboard with my BOB ammo. I've since decided to lower the over all weight, and part of that was on ammo. Right now, I have four AR/SCAR-L mags loaded with a a combat mix of M856 tracers and Mk318 Mod 0 SOST OTMRP rounds, as well as three 8 round 1911 mags loaded with hollow points.. I see no reason to carry FMJ or SP rounds, as the HP 5.56 rounds would be effective against some game, and JHPs are always better than FMJ when it comes to pistol rounds.

#9 ·
Well... you should be continuously practicing while you can and working towards a "one shot, one kill" skillset. With that in mind... carry what you actually need balanced against the weight (which can limit your range and mobility). Keep in mind that for the first few months after a TEOTWAWKI event, ammo will still be in relative abundance and you can collect any ammo and weapons left over after a firefight. Or.. if you are on the losing end... it won't really matter how much or what type of ammo you carry.

#10 ·
My bugout bag, if something crazy happened that forced me to take to the woods on foot ... consists of a Marlin 1894P and a Ruger Alaskan, both in 44 Mag. So that handles my long gun and sidearm needs with one cartridge, 100 rounds.

I just cannot envision having to bug-out on foot at my age.

Bugging-out on ATVs, SUVs or on horseback ... that's another story.

#11 ·
I only carry what I need. In case of BOB activation, I'll not be shopping. If there is a legitimate wide-spread SHTF scenario, I'll not trade off anything that some one can use against me. So I find that ammo and knives are off the table.

Drugs (the medicinal kind), booze, cigs, etc are all fair game though - so is labor.

#12 ·
Your bugout bag (at least the medium-sized and smaller) shouldn't have too many barter items in it because there's just not enough room. You'd be better served by carrying extra ammo for what weapons you use if you really want to do that, but ammo is extremely heavy per cubic foot. There are more weight- and space- efficient barter items that you can carry such as medicine and tobacco if you have all that extra room. Everything you pack has an opportunity cost to it and carrying other people's ammo means you're not carrying something you might need.

Now in the case of caches and stashes, you may want to place some ammo for different kinds of weapons so you can get to it if you need it.

#15 ·
i have a light Midsize bOb and i carry my mags on my kit since i am a infantry soldier a pack of 65 pounds to about 75 is average and i have no problem walking with it on my back along with firearms and gear on. its a lot easier when you have been training with it and have to do it almost everyday. but ammo wise i have 9mm and 5.56 about 240 of 5.56 and 250 of 9mm don't forget ammo can be taken apart and used for a lot of diff things. grains of bpwder brass melted down .. lead or rounds themselves melted for other things. powder great fire starter and always kept dry cause of sealed round .... but I'm more of a security man myself.. i can attain all other things from the earth or other means.

Reactions: shotlady
#16 ·
40rds 6.8SPC soft point, 40 rds .308 soft point, 20rds 7.62x39 armor piercing & 20 hollow point, 24rds 45ACP Critical Defense. Enough to acquire more ammo with 1911 and whichever rifle(s) I feel like taking. My BOB is small, bout 20lbs. I have to cross a river or climb hill after hill after hill to get away from urban/suburban. If I were to stay...urban environment requires sustainable speed and agility which is pretty much not gonna happen with a big ol' pack.

#18 ·
Well I have two bags,

The on foot bag only has 4 extra magazines for the 1911 - 9mm I carry. They are all loaded including the one in the firearm so I have 51 rounds of 9mm no more,
I take on the extra weight of a Kimber 22LR slide, barrel assembly that is a conversion kit for the 1911. I only take 2 magazines for this because to me 22LR is
not really for defense and I wouldn't be reloading - I carry the extra as its just in case one breaks more than anything else. But this way I can carry 270 rounds
of 22LR and feel like I'm not likely to run out of ammo. Where I go there are often slithering critters with big teeth and venom that need to be shot and I don't
want to waste the 9mm ammo on them.

The other bag - well that fits in the back of the F150 along with more bags and plenty of ammo. I carry 22LR, 9mm, 12 gauge, 223 and now 7.62x51

#21 ·
For our BOBs, we each carry a long gun and a handgun. An AR, shotgun, and 30 carbine. Two 9mm and a 45acp. One hundred rounds for each handgun, one hundred rounds for the AR and carbine. Fifty rounds for the shotgun. Hopefully we'll be leaving by car so the limits would be off. As much stuff as we can carry, plus extra gas cans.

#23 ·
Have you even tried to shoot that gun at 100 yards? There is almost 3 inches of drop from 60 yards to 80 yards - at 300 yards you would have to "aim at the moon".

#25 ·
First, their info showed 1400 fps not 1600+ but I doubt that a chronograph will prove that velocity. There ballistic coefficient is high - it should be .128 but the difference is is less than it might seem. Using their specs I get over 24" of drop between 160 yards and 180 yards and over 30 inches between 180 and 200 yards. At 300 yards the bullet drops over 660 inches from the 200 yard point or a total drop of 769+ inches. If you ignore the fact that this bullet will drop below the speed of sound at a range of 50 - 60 yards with the accompanying buffeting and inherent inaccuracy that that process brings. A 5 mph wind will move that bullet over 5 1/2 feet if it is at 90 degrees to the shot. I suggest you look at how many shots it took just to get "on target" at that range and the actual number of hits once it was "on target" compared with even a .223 round fired from a bolt action rifle. I am surprised that they were lucky enough to hit that roast the three or four times that they did even from a bench rest.

My data is the agregate average of four different ballistics programs all using the same input data. The worst was considerably worse trajectory and the best was slightly better. The elevation I assumed was 1000 feet ASL and the bullet weight was assumed to be 40 grains. The lighter bullets have a lower BC ans decellerate more quickly.

It is unlikely that anyone would sight their 22 RF in at anything more than 60 yards because at that point you lose the ability to hit small game at the point of aim at 40 yards. While it is apparently possible to hit a large target at 300 yards with a 22 RF if you have time to re-sight the scope and have a bench rest handy it is not even close to being practical. A good test of the lethality would be to shoot a live rabbit at that range and see if it could effectively kill it. (quickly and humanely) I believe that test would fail on nearly all points.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.