Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

12 gauge ammo in flare gun?

This is a discussion on 12 gauge ammo in flare gun? within the Shotguns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I'm pretty sure its not a good idea. And I don't want to try it. But if need be. I'm sure it'll be a last ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 12 gauge ammo in flare gun?

12 gauge ammo in flare gun?

I'm pretty sure its not a good idea. And I don't want to try it. But if need be. I'm sure it'll be a last resort. I have an Orion flare gun. It shoots 12 gauge flare bullets. And I was wondering if shooting a real 12 gauge slug or bird shot is safe enough?

A buddy of mine has some bean bag rounds. We might test is out some time this week. See how well it works.

Maybe the real 12 gauge might work if the flare gun is re enforced with duct tape or something?

Super Moderator

Re: 12 gauge ammo in flare gun?

DUDE that would be wicked. Talk about going out with a bang!
    Always remember- there's a wealth around you

Super Moderator

ok I stand corrected, some crazy bastard already tried it.

Always remember- there's a wealth around you

Wow cool find. I know they have those adapters to make a 12 gauge shotgun shoot 22's I might try that also.

If you don't modify the shell to take out some powder you will over pressurize it, don't use your dominant hand to fire it unless you figure you'l get lucky and accidentally kill yourself. Also....
    A flare gun IS CONSIDERED AN AOW, and requires a tax stamp when posessed with amunition adapters! Dont go to the hospital, federal prison or the great beyond over something stupid. The last thing we need is another excuse for the media and government to label preppers as radical right wing psychos that go around modifying harmless flare guns to shoot real ammo.

Tonight on CBS news:
    " 'Radical Doomsday Prepper' accidentally kills himself and friend while trying to bypass handgun laws and convert a flare launcher into a real gun."
    GTGallop likes this.

Thanks for the tip. Well my friend who is in law enforcement is trying to find a way to do what we want to do. He knows what he is doing. And helping neighbors find the best handgun for me. He is teaching me a few things such as gun care. Cleaning. How to properly hold, aim, breath, etc...

Helping me. Sorry not neighbors.

And we shot rubber balls and it was loud and awesome. Idk if i should upload it to YouTube. I might get in trouble for it. But it was loud. And same recoil as any other small-medium handgun. It was so loud that I couldn't hear well from one ear for about a minute.
    Last edited by dontlookatme; 06-26-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: mispelled words

I have one of those flare guns. I would like to mention that they are made of plastic. I wouldn't recommend doing this. If you really want to have some fun, get one of the old WW II flare guns that used actual 12 gauge shells. You won't be able to feel your hand for about two hours afterward, and will probably never have the inclination to do it again, but it's definately an interesting ride. Of course, I was invincible when I did that 25 years ago, but I never forgot it.
    Hear No Evil, See No Evil and Fuck You

I was looking through one of the latest gun mags.
    Saw a steel sleeve insert for the 26.5 mm flare gun to shoot 12 gauge or 45 LC.

found this in a search ( not the same one )

Coming Soon: Flaregun Adapters

Quote Originally Posted by insatiable ONE View Post
    I was looking through one of the latest gun mags.
    Saw a steel sleeve insert for the 26.5 mm flare gun to shoot 12 gauge or 45 LC.

found this in a search ( not the same one )

Coming Soon: Flaregun Adapters
    I was only slightly wrong, after looking again to confirm my post.
    Should have realized after looking at my post.

Was listed in Shooting Times Magazine, small featured article.

BATF Approved! Click on the BATF letter below.
    Don't be caught defenseless.
    The Sub-Caliber Device is perfect for boaters, campers or hikers. Our device simply slides into your 26.5mm flare gun to allow you to fire .45 Long Colt or .410 Shotgun Shells. The rifled steel barrel is encased in a lightweight corrosion resistant adaptor adding minimal additional weight. This is the ultimate gear for your survival kit.

Dimensions:
    Length: 4"
    Weight: .10 lbs
    Fits in 26.5mm Flare Guns

From the Kennesaw Cannon Company: available at Cheaper Than Dirt / Mississippi Auto Arms
    12 gauge ammo in flare gun?-scd45_lg.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads