SHTF Long Gun Choices.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

SHTF Long Gun Choices.

This is a discussion on SHTF Long Gun Choices. within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Hello all. I am currently looking at getting a new long gun for WORL situations. I live in a state where most semi auto rifles ...

Poll: Which would you choose?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: SHTF Long Gun Choices.

SHTF Long Gun Choices.

Hello all. I am currently looking at getting a new long gun for WORL situations. I live in a state where most semi auto rifles are banned as "assault weapons" and magazine capacity is restricted to 10 rounds, so my options are very, very limited. Unfortunately, I had to sell my 2 AR's, and Tula SKS, when I was going through some hard times and was unable to replace any of them before Sandy Hook and the following assault weapons ban occurred. That leaves me with a Mossberg 590A1 and a Marlin 336 as my sole long guns, aside from a Ruger 10/22 TD and a Savage MkII GL. So, here I am with a very difficult decision. What to buy? I have no need for a long range rifle as I will never need to make a shot over 200 yards. My choices are limited to semi auto firearms that meet the below listed criteria.

(E) Any semiautomatic firearm regardless of whether such firearm is listed in subparagraphs (A) to (D), inclusive, of this subdivision, and regardless of the date such firearm was produced, that meets the following criteria:
    (i) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following:
    (I) A folding or telescoping stock;
    (II) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing;
    (III) A forward pistol grip;
    (IV) A flash suppressor; or
    (V) A grenade launcher or flare launcher; or
    (ii) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the ability to accept more than ten rounds; or
    (iii) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than thirty inches;

So as you can see that leaves me with almost no choices. I have done some research and found a very sort list of guns that meet this criteria and still have a 10 round magazine capacity.
    Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle
    SKS
    Browning BAR (Mk3 DBM)
    Springfield Armory M1A1 SOCOM 16 and Squad Scout
    M1 Carbine
    and a handful of various 4-5 round capacity hunting rifles.
    The Ares ACR was on my list but that is a dead horse.
    I can also go with any bolt action or pump action rifle, leaving me with pretty much the Ruger Gunsite Scout. I also have a budget cap of $1000, absolute max., which disqualifies the Springfields and the Browning. This leaves me with two very over priced options and one with a very, very marginal cartridge.

With the ridiculous prices of the SKS these days, and with the Mini-14 in the $750-$850 range, I'm having a hard time swallowing either of those pills. So what would you suggest? Is there a rifle I am missing? Or should I just stick with my Marlin and call it a day?
    Last edited by Sinkhole; 04-19-2017 at 04:58 PM.
    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."
    Th. Jefferson

Hey Sinkhole ..... this reminds me of a story from my youth. One of NE Texas largest auto part dynasties, lived outside a small town here in rural Texas. They had a kid named "hole digger" who like to smoke a lot of weed and drive around in his Jeep real, real slow. That boy could back up traffic behind him for half a mile. Anyway, everyone called him hole digger after he dug a hole in his next door neighbor's property and the old lady stepped into it and broke a leg. True story!

So ..... how did ya get to be known as Sinkhole?
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

For long guns We have decided to go with the Winni cowboy gun and the Malin semi auto .22..3 12 gauge shot guns and the high dollar adult pellet rifle. I dont feel under gunned in the least.
    1895gunner likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

OP, I voted for Mini14 but would also say that an SKS would work as well. It is becoming more and more of a buyers market when it comes to firearm, so you should be able to find a deal on a mini or SKS with some looking.
    bigwheel likes this.

I was leaning toward a mini .14 too but those things are higher priced than the black army guns. It just dont seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Hey Sinkhole ..... this reminds me of a story from my youth. One of NE Texas largest auto part dynasties, lived outside a small town here in rural Texas. They had a kid named "hole digger" who like to smoke a lot of weed and drive around in his Jeep real, real slow. That boy could back up traffic behind him for half a mile. Anyway, everyone called him hole digger after he dug a hole in his next door neighbor's property and the old lady stepped into it and broke a leg. True story!

So ..... how did ya get to be known as Sinkhole?
    As you can imagine sinkholes are a pretty rare occurrence here in the NE. But as a kid I managed to find a rather small one, accidentally, (I fell in one), well after I climbed out and brushed my self off, my friends at the time tagged me with that nick name. It has just sort of stuck through out my life and I use it as a forum name and a gamer tag.
    A Watchman likes this.
    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."
    Th. Jefferson

The SKS would be a good choice, gets under the law.

It has the advantage of a decent mid range cartridge and can be reloaded fast with a stripper clip.

I would trust it over a mini.
    sigmanx, Camel923 and Maol9 like this.

I don't see the banning of certain weapons by individual states or cities changing any time soon - if ever - likely to get worse in the states that have already gone down that hole ....

both the M1 Carbine and the Mini 14's big brother - the Mini 30 - have both been on the longer liberal "hit lists" - wouldn't guarantee that buying a M1 Carbine will give you a legal weapon forever in states like CT, MA and CA .... it's going to take a country shattering - life altering event for the liberals - to shut down their anti-gun rampage and roll back existing laws ....
    sigmanx likes this.
    I llini Warrior

I have to go a different way . What SKS's are selling for no way I would buy one.
    stevekozak and inceptor like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Out of those I would go with the M1A even though I know it's just above your budget. But you can check the used classified ads. SKS isn't a bad choice though, Cheap ammo. And it's going to be better than the Marlin due to ammo is cheaper, holds a few more rounds in the fixed box mag, and it is close to the 30-30 in ballistics. 30-30 on average only has a few hundred more ft lbs of muzzle energy.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links