SHTF Long Gun Choices. - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

SHTF Long Gun Choices.

This is a discussion on SHTF Long Gun Choices. within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy One rifle you did not consider - M1 Garand. You can get a good shooter for $600 - $800. ...

Poll: Which would you choose?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: SHTF Long Gun Choices.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    One rifle you did not consider - M1 Garand.
    You can get a good shooter for $600 - $800. Or at least you could the last time I looked, 10 years ago.
    30-06 is an excellent round, certainly in the top 5 best cartridges ever produced.
    It does not have any of the liberals "evil features" they always list on their ban legislation.

I have many rifles, but my favorite is my old beat up 1945 Springfield US Rifle, Cal 30, M1.

the M1 Garands ALWAYS make the longer gun ban lists - all the firearms with a military orientation do - it's a given .... only certainties left are the bolt action hunting rifles - and they'll be including some/most of them when they realize their sniper potential .... you have law enforcement filling out these lists - not going to be anything left that would be resistance to them ....
    I llini Warrior

I'd stick with the Marlin. BUT it would be in 44mag so the ammo would match my S&W 629 hand gun. The 44 mag would give you 10 plus round capacity. Best part is you can quickly reload a few rounds to top off the gun as needed. Instead of shooting to empty then reloading.
    Maol9 likes this.

I voted for the sks, but the mini would not be a bad choice. Either one would work. The marlin is a good option, but reloading can be slow. It all depends on how much you want to spend.
    “Talk low, talk slow, and don’t say too much.”
    –John Wayne

“Everyone has a plan ’till they get punched in the mouth.”
    -Mike Tyson

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Move out of Connecticut.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Move out of Connecticut.
    Unfortunately this is currently not an option. Trust me I have been wanting to for a very long time. Our only saving grace is our jack hole governor Malloy will not be running again.
    Last edited by Sinkhole; 04-20-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    Slippy likes this.
    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."
    Th. Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    One rifle you did not consider - M1 Garand.
    You can get a good shooter for $600 - $800. Or at least you could the last time I looked, 10 years ago.
    30-06 is an excellent round, certainly in the top 5 best cartridges ever produced.
    It does not have any of the liberals "evil features" they always list on their ban legislation.

I have many rifles, but my favorite is my old beat up 1945 Springfield US Rifle, Cal 30, M1.
    I considered it. But it doesn't really fit in with my needs. I would prefer a detachable box magazine and a smaller, lighter caliber, something the wife can handle if need be. Also the M1 is a heavy rifle for to lug around at 9.5 pounds.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."
    Th. Jefferson

Out of your choices, the Marlin 30-30 would be the best choice and the one I'd pick!
    30-30 is no slouch when it comes to power, when the govt gets on a ban, 30-30 ammo is still on the shelf long after military calibers are gone.
    Also out of your choices the Marlin is the most accurate.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkhole View Post
    I considered it. But it doesn't really fit in with my needs. I would prefer a detachable box magazine and a smaller, lighter caliber, something the wife can handle if need be. Also the M1 is a heavy rifle for to lug around at 9.5 pounds.
    I lugged around its younger brother, the M14, for two years.

And if you butt stroke someone you have some physics in your favor, and you don't have to worry about a chintzy plastic collapsible stock breaking off.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

When it comes right down to it and it is time to go I am taking everything I own and heading to my safe place. Now while there what will be used first to last is based on my ammo stock pile and or situation defense or hunting.
    I do not own a black rifle or tactical rigs but I do have a AK with plenty of ammo and 22lrs with never enough ammo
    and a 308 bolt for all my long range needs
    SOCOM42 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Full_bag_of_marbles View Post
    When it comes right down to it and it is time to go I am taking everything I own and heading to my safe place. Now while there what will be used first to last is based on my ammo stock pile and or situation defense or hunting.
    I do not own a black rifle or tactical rigs but I do have a AK with plenty of ammo and 22lrs with never enough ammo
    and a 308 bolt for all my long range needs
    That will do you.

You can never have enough mags for the AK.

In the good old day I got a ton at $3.50 each, high and deep..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links