SHTF Long Gun Choices. - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

SHTF Long Gun Choices.

This is a discussion on SHTF Long Gun Choices. within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; The Mini 14 Ranch Rifle would be the fastest to reload of your listed choices. The 5.56 NATO and the .223 Remington cartridges are adequate ...

Poll: Which would you choose?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: SHTF Long Gun Choices.

The Good Cop

The Mini 14 Ranch Rifle would be the fastest to reload of your listed choices. The 5.56 NATO and the .223 Remington cartridges are adequate self defense rounds, soft points are available for hunting.
    As far as the M1 Carbine, any USGI surplus ones you find will be fairly worn, as far as the new replicas, my Auto Ordnance is a quality arm, I can not speak for the others on the market. Either way, surplus or new, one will cost more than a Mini 14. $800 and up.
    The SKS can be reloaded fairly quickly using stripper clips by someone who has had lots of practice. Under a stressful situation it is much easier to seat a magazine than to fumble with strippers.
    The Marlin 336 is highly under rated by many, many people. It would serve you well in either a self defense or hunting situation.

Unless you can find a used Mini for around $500 or less, stick with the Marlin.

FWIW -- I own all the rifles you listed, and have fired them all extensively. I speak from experience.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I voted for the mini 14. The ammo is plentiful and decent power. The rifle is reliable and so ewhat accurate. It's small and it won't let you down

if those were my only choices I would go marlin.
    nothing to see here, move along.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I was leaning toward a mini .14 too but those things are higher priced than the black army guns. It just dont seem right.
    Great used minis in Michigan 600 to 750. I see frequently.

Well almost all of my long guns are big bore Guide Guns (Lever Actions), that and Marlin 22's in semi-auto & Lever Action. 410 & 12 gauge shotguns. I can't carry all of them however I don't plan on going anywhere anyway. Plenty of components to manufacture ammo till the end of times (for me).

To the OP: Glad to see you thought of the ol lever action rifle in your poll! Lots & lots of them around the good ol USA!

1895gunner
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Reloading - Shooting - Hunting

Having owned a mini 14, SKS, and M-1 carbine I'd go with the mini 14. The well used SKS I had had a better trigger but can't take mags (without major modification) and while the M-1 carbine is perfect for smaller framed people like young teens or a small woman it shoots an underpowered shell. The Mini 14 does allow you to swap mags and can be modified with some after market items. I really like how the safety on a mini 14 works and the trigger can be worked on or just shoot the hell out of it until it smoothes out a bit.

In addition you can get a mini 14 / mini 30 in several different calibers. I like the 6.8 mm but 6.8 is expensive ammo unless you reload so I'd instead conceder the mini 30 in 7.62. or the mini 14 in 5.56.
    Talk is cheap, actions count.

Sks is a fair amount less than an m-1 carbine. The sks will take a beating and function, a hallmark of many Soviet weapons.
    Oddcaliber and RedLion like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

SKS,it's hard to beat for reliability. Got 2 Chicom type 56's. My bolt rifle is the tried and true Mauser 98.
    sigmanx likes this.
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

The Good Cop

One rifle you did not consider - M1 Garand.
    You can get a good shooter for $600 - $800. Or at least you could the last time I looked, 10 years ago.
    30-06 is an excellent round, certainly in the top 5 best cartridges ever produced.
    It does not have any of the liberals "evil features" they always list on their ban legislation.

I have many rifles, but my favorite is my old beat up 1945 Springfield US Rifle, Cal 30, M1.
    1895gunner likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Something to consider, if your State has this ban on certain semi-autos in place now, is it possible that they will try o confiscate ALL center-fire rifles sometime in the future? It would be a long time before they got around lever action rifles. In addition a Marlin is a decent hunting rifle. Of course my opinion is slanted because I already own an AR and SKS and have already been thinking about buying a 30-30.
    1895gunner likes this.
    Suck it up buttercup.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links