1st & 2nd Focal Plane Scopes
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on 1st & 2nd Focal Plane Scopes within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I am still a newby in the ins and outs of scopes. I am researching scopes, one for a AR .308 and one for a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SOCOM42
  • 1 Post By 6811

Thread: 1st & 2nd Focal Plane Scopes

I am still a newby in the ins and outs of scopes. I am researching scopes, one for a AR .308 and one for a AR in 6.5 Grendel. I was wanting feedback from others on scopes with 1st focal plane versus second focal plane and what you preferred (if you do), which you prefer in which situations and any affordable, and any other relative feedback.
    My basic understanding is that reticles on second focal plane scopes stay the same size while first focal plane scopes reticles increase and decrease in size through the magnification range. I also understand that second focal plane scopes will have a sweet spot so to speak/magnification in which the BDC reticle would be useful while applying a BDC reticle on a first focal plane scope would remain consistent through out magnification range.
    I appreciate any thoughts, experiences and suggested up front.

First is good if you have a ranging reticle such as stadia hairs or brackets with BDC, they maintain the correct ratio.

Mill dot, I prefer fixed 10X for range estimation less computation in head, data put into BDC turret.

With German #4 post, second plane, this is the fastest and I use at low power, 2-3 X.
    RedLion likes this.

1st focal plane using mildot recticle is the way to go. Save some money and buy the right gear the first time, this way you won't have to buy again.
    RedLion likes this.

Sponsored Links