Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

9mm ammo

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  armyguy 
#1 ·
I'm not a gun person but and inquiring for possible future purchase.

I'm thinking of getting a glock and am looking for a rifle that uses the same 9mm ammo so I only need to cache one type of ammo.

#7 ·
There is no performance enhancement when using the ammo in a rifle ... I might be wrong however.
One can actually expect to get 30-40% greater velocities from a carbine. A rifle length would be a little more. Basically, the longer the barrel, the more velocity you achieve until about 24 inches. Of course, all of this depends on the load used as well as other factors.

#5 ·
9mm is poor for a pistol except for self defense conceal carry at 10 yards or so!.....go .40 S&W for pistol minimum.....Best is 357 Rem Mag...44 Mag Pistol and get a rifle that shoots the same....good for 125-175 yards with rifle...If your thinking more distance get a .308 Winchester caliber...good to 1000 yards if you get a decent gun...400-500 yards for a cheap Remington or Savage from Wal Mart at 277$ to 340$...Stay the HE double hockey sticks away from .223 or 5.56....Have shot way too many fools Eight and ten times with an M-16/M-4 that could still shoot back afterwards.

From a 22 year US. ARMY Vet

#8 ·
I am not a fan or 9mm ammo. If I had to carry a 9mm it would have to be loaded with DRT ammo. It is the best ammo I have ever used. I have used it in .308 on elk out to 800yrds. And it is in my 1911 .45 and keep several mags of .223 for my AR in my loadout also. It is a frangible round that was made for snipers. It has a copper powder core that expands and pretty much explodes on impact with tissue but can go thru a window or board without expanding then expand on soft tissue when it hits. I have used the .223 cal on mule deer out to 250yrs. There are no ballistics on it afterward because the round disintegrates on contact.. Check out drtammo.com and you can check out videos and stuff. They will even custom make certain calibers if you email them. The only caliber I have that they can't custom make for me is my .22.-250 because of the twist rate in my barrel is to much and it will be spinning too fast. There motto is Dead Right There DRT and it is a good one..lol

#9 · (Edited)
Bob,
you are smart to plan to just stock one type of ammo. 9mm being the most common other than the .22lr
a glock would be a good choice as it is reliable and it holds lots of rounds. Dont be side tracked with the argument that 9mm is not a good caliber you need a bigger caliber and so on. If you can carry more rounds it is your advantage. and you know if one round dont stop the aggression, just put in a couple more rounds. two is always better than one and three is always better than two. and so on. Plus depends on where you put the rounds on. So if your aims are good then it will take care of the problem.

also 9mm is cheaper than a .45 . So with the same amount of money you can stockpile a lot more 9mm ammo. 9mm being more common meant that if you enter a house to scavange for ammo you will probably find 9mm as most household has them.

Now a glock is great but i would suggest getting a few other handguns also. Just go with cheap ones. like Hi Point which can be had for 160 bucks. Or kel tecs which are very well build guns and cheap. You should have a couple of backup 9mm handgun incase something happen to your primary handgun. Hi Point has been step on and people call it a piece of trash and they are ugly but they are virtually indestructable and would continue to shoot. It is not pretty but it is cheap and it will work. I have a Hi Point handgun and it work after thousands of rounds thru it. never jam once. It only love ball ammo however . so no hollow points.

The baretta Cx4 storm will be a good choice for a carbine. There are just alot of types and brands out there. But pick one that you can buy magazines cheaply and most available. and get one with lots of rounds per magazines. You need a lot of magazines for your handguns and carbine. Because in a firefight it is all about who has the most ammo to outlast the other.

That being said. I would suggest getting a shotgun also . a mossberg 500 would be an excellent choice.
Also you probably want to have a rifle round (centerfire) or some sort incase you want to go hunt for food. But a mossberg shotgun can also be use for hunting. So if you want to stick with one caliber then the 9mm will be great. But I suggest a 12ga shotgun also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.