Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

308, Think I am going shopping

This is a discussion on 308, Think I am going shopping within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Think I am going shopping, They just won't leave me alone. Putting this in my face. I really must check one out. Ruger 762 308. ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 308, Think I am going shopping

308, Think I am going shopping

Think I am going shopping, They just won't leave me alone. Putting this in my face.
    I really must check one out.
    Ruger 762 308.
    RugerŪ SR-762? Autoloading Rifle Models
    Denton, Ripon and Piratesailor like this.

I think this rifle is increadably sexy. I would want it to have a longer barrel 20" would be awesome. A 16" barrel will waste a lot of energy in a 308. I could live with an 18" but IMHO a 16" barrel in a 308 waste a lot of potential energy.

It says "Ruger" and it costs over $2k. For that money, I'd rather go with a LMT 308MWS or a Sig 716. Heck, you could also save up your funds and get a SCAR 17S. Either that or go cheap and get a PTR or DSA FAL. Not a fan of Ruger, and never will be.
    Chipper and Nachtjager like this.

Reading up on it and it seems they did what Ruger does they built it right.
    As for the shorter barrel it is shooting great with a 1 in 10 twist
    Adding it to the list. And the weight is out standing for a semi 308.
    Real Guns - Ruger's SR-762 Part 1
    Denton and Wallimiyama like this.

Ruger sent me an email with the SR762 in it.
    Last edited by AquaHull; 10-27-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Think I am going shopping, They just won't leave me alone. Putting this in my face.
    I really must check one out.
    Ruger 762 308.
    RugerŪ SR-762? Autoloading Rifle Models
    I saw one in person last Friday. It was very impressive, to be honest. It shouldered very easily, was surprisingly light in weight, the build quality was very good bordering on excellent, the rail on the upper was very slim and fit my support hand perfectly, the fit and finish were top notch, and I was, like I said, very impressed, and made a mental note to come back and check it out more closely.

At the time the LGS was having an anniversary sale, 10% off everything in the store, so I was really focused on the H&K MR762A1 I came to look at. The Ruger was noticeably lighter than the H&K, like grabbing an AR-15 after handling an AR-10 in weight and handling. But I have to say the SIG 716 and the Ruger SR762 made me hesitate about buying the H&K.

For the price of the H&K, I could buy two SIG 716s and a brand new EOTech XR308 MRDS to sit on top, plus it takes LR-308 P-Mags, and Magpul has announced that they will be selling 25 round P-Mags in 7.62 this year (or at least in the near future). The Ruger also made me think I needed to do some more research and comparison shopping first.

And that H&K is still singing its siren song to me, luring me closer, tugging on my wallet....

Smitty, I think you are on to something. I put it back because the siren had sucked me in, but I remembered that SR762 as worth a hard second look....

The H&K also had ten 20 round proprietary mags, which is a factor, because these are like hen's teeth to find, and with the 10% discount, I would have saved enough overall to be getting five mags free (compared to MSRP). I almost pulled the trigger, but then I stepped away, whipped out the calculator, and got far enough away I could not hear the siren song, and I left the 7.62s on the rack...all of them. Live to spend another day.

They had some nice weapon choices: H&K (best but OMG sticker price), SCAR 17 ($800 cheaper than the MR762 with the discount); SIG 716 ($1799); POF ($2249); SR762 (forgot the price, dang siren); and a new S&W M&P 10.

So, I exercised some financial self-discipline (easy because I am naturally cheap) and bought some 9mm ammo (normal price with the discount), a Benchmade APO II auto knife, and a VTAC flashlight mount. And then I left.

Almost went back yesterday before the sale ended...but I decided to wait.

That H&K is truly a dream rifle, but that is a lot of cake for a gun...especially when you look at owning two top quality rifles using the same amount of cash, with money left over for optics and ammo....

Worth a look, Smitty, but I still want to see that Colt LE901-16S first...just sayin'!
    Denton likes this.
    Some days, you should just stay home in bed....

Very nice looking gun and I am sure that like all Rugers its very well designed and built to last. Its a bit pricey for my taste although I am sure its well worth the asking price. My biggest reservation regarding this rifle would be the barrel length. 16.25 inches is aweful short for a cartridge with the amount of powder that needs to be burned in the .308.

Too expensive.
    Nachtjager likes this.

There is a mysterious point, which I have never been able to pinpoint, where you are really just paying incrementally for the name. Even though I absolutely love my USP .45, everything HK makes is usually to the right of that magical point
    paraquack likes this.

I like it, I think it's priced to high though. Course it seams all the evil black rifles are priced to high.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads