Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

How much ammo is enough?

3K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  inceptor 
#1 ·
Hi guys

A sticky question, because I know I will get mainly you can never have enough ammo answer.
Of course having 50.000 rounds is better than 49.000, and so on.

But realistically, what calibers, and how much ammo per caliber?

I have at the moment 2200, 22 rounds, and just a measly 180 reloads for my 223.

I want to really stock up on my 22 rounds, cause they are cheap.

How about you guys?

#2 ·
Oh, I know, I know! Pick me!

"You can never have too much ammo." :tango_face_grin:

And then I'd say, calibre depend on your guns.. I've also seen it mentioned to keep guns in the typical calibre that are easy to find but I guess that's more of a preference.

I think some numbers tossed around here were current stocks of 5000+ and they're still looking to add to it with a good deal.

#13 ·
Oh, I know, I know! Pick me!

"You can never have too much ammo." :tango_face_grin:

And then I'd say, calibre depend on your guns.. I've also seen it mentioned to keep guns in the typical calibre that are easy to find but I guess that's more of a preference.

I think some numbers tossed around here were current stocks of 5000+ and they're still looking to add to it with a good deal.
What she said.

Me, I'm a believer in the KISS method when it comes to most things.

#3 ·
I consolidated calibers. I narrowed it down to 5.56/.223, .308, 7.62X39, 7.62X54R, 12 Gauge and 9mm. Those were what I decided to stockpile. I have 1000 of each per rifle, and several rifles in each of those calibers. I then settled at 500 various loads for the 12 gauge, 00 buck for home defense, slugs for deer, 4 shot for turkey 6 shot for dove and so on. I got rid of every handgun that wasn't a 9mm and bought 500 rounds for each gun. I have 8,000 rounds or so.

Reactions: Denton
#4 ·
I would keep a mim. of 5,000 rounds for each gun you have , then I would stock up as much ammo as you can . .22 LR. .223 Get all you can , as far as the other , do the same .

Reactions: Denton
#5 ·
To many variables for a one answer fits all answer. Do you need 5000 rounds of 12ga? Is 5000 rounds of 22lr enough? Age, length of disaster, location, staying put or on the run are just a few things to consider.

I would pick my 2 go to guns or favorites and stock up for them. Don't waste resources stocking up for a weapon that will never be used or carried. Personally I stock 22lr and 556 for hunting and defense for rifles. Handgun I love the 10mm so that's what I stock. The amount is as much as I can.

#6 ·
Agrreed that stockpiling ammo is easier when you decide on specific calibers. Jack angus, you will really want to buy about 1000 rounds 223 for starters, then build both calibers from their. Going to the range? Buy double and stockpile the same amount you shoot. Do you have anyother fire arms? Shotguns, handguns and longer range rifles may be worthy on consideration.

#7 · (Edited)
Hi guys

But realistically, what calibers, and how much ammo per caliber?

I have at the moment 2200, 22 rounds, and just a measly 180 reloads for my 223.

I want to really stock up on my 22 rounds, cause they are cheap.

How about you guys?
What is your primary defense rifle caliber?

That 180 rounds is equal to having none, never mind cheap, this is the one you need to stock up on.

Forget the rimfire until you have at least 1,000 of the 223, preferably 2,000 and a dozen mags assuming it is mag fed.

Rimfire is a secondary caliber IMHO, a game getter and an Alamo round.

Depending you perspective on prepping, that will help determine the stores quantity.

We have four rifles and two handguns in 22rf, over 20k of ammo for them, and to me it is a nothing round compared to 7.62 NATO and 5.56 NATO.

You have to think, DEFENSE, regardless of SHTF type, there will be predators looking to take what people have,

just like in a thousand other incidents man made or nature made.

The longer the crisis last, the greater the possibility of an assault on you and yours.

Example, I just bought 3 thousand rounds of 9MM FMJ to add to my stores two or three weeks ago and another batch this week.

#8 ·
Starting goal at minimum of 1000 rounds per weapon, then go on from there. If 223 is your primary defensive weapon your are woefully in deep shit. As @SOCOM42 said, the longer a crises the more you will need in the way of defense. You have much to do.

Reactions: Denton and dsdmmat
#9 ·
Pick your calibers that fit you and your locale for hunting and defense. I stock 556, 308, 9mm, and 12 gauge. I also have ample amounts of other calibers that I own fire arms in.

When you have 500 of each caliber, consider yourself off to a good start.
When you reach 1000 of each caliber, you can take a breath.
When you have you have 2-3000 of your selected calibers, you can consider yourself to have a well rounded stock of ammo.
Then ........ keep stocking all the ammo you can.

Reactions: Hemi45
#10 ·
After answering this question a bunch of times I took a few minutes to ask myself the same question.

Today, with all the crap happening as well as as the fact that it will CONTINUE to ramp up...Honestly, I have no idea how much ammo I'll need.

So, I'll continue to do what I've done for years; Buy a box or 12 regularly/weekly/monthly whatever and buy bulk every now and then. I'll continue to shoot and train and what happens will happen.

I'm a fairly tall man and if I'm destined to die in a pile of warm brass, I figure I've got enough to warm my new titanium knee...

Molon Labe...

#14 ·
The only times you can have too much ammo are:

If you are on fire or if you are on a sinking boat while it is on fire.

A rule of thumb I like to use is, 1500-2000 rounds per gun. If you have 6 different guns in the same caliber that is 9-12 thousand rounds of one caliber. If they are all different calibers then it is 1500-2000 of each caliber. The problem with stockpiling is running out of room to store the ammo.

Reactions: Slippy
#15 ·
Minimize the number of calibers and then stock at least 1000 rnds per rifle and 500 rnds per pistol. I'd rather spend money on better optics than having 5000 rnds per weapon.

In an effort to simplify and standardize a while ago we picked one AR caliber and I sold several rifles that weren't in that caliber in an effort to focus resources on the caliber we agreed on.

Being realistic about your shooting distances and conditions and your ability to shoot rapidly and accurately with a particular caliber will go a long way to helping you select the best caliber for your group. The guys may feel comfortable with a .308 but if the ladies and teenagers flinch with the heavy recoil you may need to select something with less kick like .556 or .300 blackout. That way all people use the same mags and ammo. Then focus on good optics and ammo.

#16 ·
SHTF scenarios, the likes of which books are written and movies made, aside - do you like to shoot? With a Hillary win all but assured I foresee a very real possibility that many will be priced out going to the range. The left IS NOT going to cease their mission to disarm the USA. If they're unable to achieve that through guns, count on them trying to with ammo. When every trigger pull costs a couple dollars you'll be glad you have as much as you can get now. Presently, you can get good .22LR, 5,000 rounds, delivered for just under $400. To me, that's money well spent in more ways than one.

#17 ·
After years and years of shooting I don't really practice much any more. I plink at the farm. I'm getting too stiff to run the duck and cover jungle alleys and stress courses these days. I think keeping physically fit is more important than a million bullets. If I still trained like I did in the nineties I would still have way more ammo than I could count. My abilities changed and my needs followed suit. Take care of your back and knees, Osteo arthritis is no joke and will take you out of the fight in short order. Gout will make you a sitting duck so wash your hands after handling lead and last but not least, keep your eye appointments and your prescription current. I went from 20/15 in my sniper days to something more akin to "is that our son over there?!" "no Darling, that's a fence post". Pretty sad really.

#18 ·
My Doctor told me I'm getting eaten up with arthritis. I have one titanium knee and in my mid 60's. No commando style training for me. I'm just practicing gun control. To hit what I aim at. Well, I would practice if I owned a gun.

ETA: I forgot to add sitting behind a desk all day doesn't help with the endurance training.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.