Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Mosin Nagant M91/30

This is a discussion on Mosin Nagant M91/30 within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I have several other rifles that I would go to first for SHTF or defence. As a matter a fact the mosin would be one ...

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Mosin?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Worthless

1 2.94%
  • if it was free

4 11.76%
  • Awesome and very good to have

24 70.59%
  • Just wicked accurate and ready to rock

5 14.71%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Mosin Nagant M91/30

I have several other rifles that I would go to first for SHTF or defence. As a matter a fact the mosin would be one of my last choices.
    That being said, I love mine (M91/30) shoot it often, more then most the others. and thinking of getting a second one.

Remember if you shoot corrosive ammo take your cleaning kit to the range and clean the bore BEFORE you leave. the corrosion starts working fast. And it's brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by drt4lfe View Post
    Is your life worth buying a quality weapon ? Mine is.......if $350 is too much to spend on your life ? why buy anything ? An American Rifle or GSR is made out of materials 10 times better than any Mosin....I would not have an issue burying my GSR and being able to use it when needed.....I am sure plenty of people love shooting the Mosin's...I have fun shooting a lot of weapons, but I won't depend on all of them if my life is on the line....People spend more on cell phones, IPad's and such than they do to protect there life.......look around your house......how much have you spent on electronics ? compare that to what you have spent to protect your life and families life ???? Gladly spend 1k on a new HD TV.....but only $200 on a 100 year old rifle ??? make sense ????
    This part was obviously missed!!

I am NOT spending ANY money on this!! I have the chance of doing trades (NON GUN RELATED) and getting one! So I WILL NOT be spending any money and I will NOT be using it to save my life in ANY way!! For that I have a Remington Sendero in 7mm. . . I was mainly asking what everyones opinion of the "Mosin" Itself was NOT if I am smart enough or ballsy enough to put my family or my lifes on the line with it!!

I appreciate everyones info and would love to hear what anyone else has to say about it!!

Again NOT 1 DIME will be spent on this rifle simple TRADE ONLY!!

9UC
    Think I'd pass. I'm pretty well down the scale of defense rifles being that my primary is a M1 Carbine. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride and I'd have an AR10 or maybe a Springfield so I could reach out and touch someone.
    USAF, Retired
    Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36

Life Member: NRA, DVA, VVA, VFW, & Vietnam Security Police Assn.

a mosin will get you in the fight for sure. as most said here...cheap, robust , fairly accurate and cheap to shoot.. not to mention, makes a fine issue to some one who isnt armed.

Comparison of AK, AR-15, and Moisin-Nagant

AK: It works though you have never cleaned it -- ever.
    AR: You have $9 per ounce special non-detergent synthetic Teflon infused oil for cleaning.
    MN: It was last cleaned in Berlin in 1945. Maybe.

AK: You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from inside.
    AR: You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from 600 meters.
    MN: You can hit the farm from two counties over.

AK: Cheap magazines are fun to buy.
    AR: Cheap magazines melt.
    MN: What's a magazine?

AK: Your safety can be heard from 300 meters away.
    AR: You can silently flip off the safety with your finger on the trigger.
    MN: What's a safety?

AK: Your rifle comes with a cheap nylon sling.
    AR: Your rifle has a 9 point stealth tactical suspension system.
    MN: Your rifle has four dog collars tied end-to-end.

AK: Your bayonet makes a good wire cutter.
    AR: Your bayonet is actually a pretty good steak knife.
    MN: Your bayonet is longer than your leg.

AK: You can put a .30" hole through 12" of oak, if you can ever hit it.
    AR: You can put one hole in a paper target at 100 meters with 30 rounds.
    MN: You can knock down everyone else's target with the shock wave of your bullet going downrange.

AK: When out of ammo your rifle will nominally pass as a club.
    AR: When out of ammo, your rifle makes a great wiffle bat.
    MN: When out of ammo, your rifle makes a supreme war club, pike, boat oar, tent pole, or firewood.

AK: Recoil is manageable, even fun.
    AR: What's recoil?
    MN: Recoil is often used to relocate shoulders thrown out by the previous shot.

AK: Your sight adjustment goes to "10", and you've never bothered moving it.
    AR: Your sight adjustment is incremented in fractions of minute of angle.
    MN: Your sight adjustment goes to 12 miles and you've actually tried it.

AK: Your rifle can be used by any two bit nation's most illiterate conscripts to fight elite forces worldwide.
    AR: Your rifle is used by elite forces worldwide to fight two bit nations' most illiterate conscripts.
    MN: Your rifle has fought against itself and won every time.

AK: Your rifle won some revolutions.
    AR: Your rifle won the Cold War.
    MN: Your rifle won a pole vault event.

AK: You paid $350.
    AR: You paid $900.
    MN: You paid $59.95.

AK: You buy cheap ammo by the case.
    AR: You lovingly reload precision crafted rounds one by one.
    MN: You dig your ammo out of a farmer's field in Ukraine and it works just fine.

AK: You can intimidate your foe when you fix bayonet.
    AR: Your can give your foe a good laugh when you fix your bayonet.
    MN: You can bayonet your foe on the other side of the river without leaving the comfort of your hole.

AK: Service life, 50 years.
    AR: Service life, 40 years.
    MN: Service life, 100 years, and counting.

AK: It's easier to buy a new rifle when you want to change cartridge sizes.
    AR: You can change cartridge sizes with the push of a couple of pins and a new upper.
    MN: You believe no real man would dare risk the ridicule of his friends by suggesting there is anything but 7.62x54R.

AK: You can repair your rifle with a big hammer and a swift kick.
    AR: You can repair your rifle by taking it to a certified gunsmith and it's under warranty!
    MN: If your rifle breaks, you can buy a new one.

AK: You consider it a badge of honor when you get your handguards to burst into flames.
    AR: You consider it a badge of honor when you shoot a sub-MOA 5 shot group.
    MN: You consider it a badge of honor when you cycle 5 rounds without the aid of a 2x4.

AK: After a long day the range you relax by watching "Red Dawn".
    AR: After a long day at the range you relax by watching "Blackhawk Down".
    MN: After a long day at the range you relax by visiting the chiropractor.

AK: You can accessorize you rifle with a new muzzle brake or a nice stock set.
    AR: Your rifle's accessories are eight times more valuable than your rifle.
    MN: Your rifle's accessory is a small tin can with a funny lid, but it's buried under an apartment building somewhere in Budapest.

AK: Your rifle's finish is varnish and paint.
    AR: Your rifle's finish is Teflon and high tech polymers.
    MN: Your rifle's finish is low grade shellac, cosmoline and Olga's toe nails.

AK: Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Mikhail Kalashnikov.
    AR: Your wife tolerates your autographed framed picture of Eugene Stoner.
    MN: You're not sure there WERE cameras to photograph Sergei Mosin.

AK: Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to hold your rifle over your head and shout "Wolverines!"
    AR: Late at night you sometimes have to fight the urge to clear your house, slicing the pie from room to room.
    MN: Late at night, you sometimes have to fight the urge to dig a fighting trench in the yard to sleep in.
    9UC, Mule13, Irish and 1 others like this.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

OMG that is the funniest comparison list that I have ever seen. I am rolling on the floor laughing, great post
    Boy Scout motto, always be prepared. I guess I'm just following up on my years of scouting

Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    most of the deaths and injuries inflicted all over the world are by rifles in the $50 to $100 range. Just as I as a kid knew how to use Kentucky windage with my trusty "Red Rider" BB gun, these shooters know their weapons abilities and limitations. If I were to be caught up in an invasion situation and all I could scrounge up was an SKS $50 Woolworths clearance special. I would make it work. During the day I would smile and be compliant and at night it would be... unpleasant. I can be somewhat inconsiderate when properly motivated. I'm kinda funny that way.

punch
    True to a point but the often out numbered soldier with an M16/M4 was winning the body count at the end of the fight. Of course sometimes they did not allow us to finish.
    M91030 is worth picking up still 98 dollars around here, Not a bad Idea to pick up and Enfield 303 also
    If you can not defend it, then your just holding it for the next owner.
    When will DHS come for you. They have declared us the enemy

I agree with smitty901 but now you are having to get more than one type of ammo and 308 ammo is a lot more of a cost than the 762x54 ammo is. Just a thought.
    Boy Scout motto, always be prepared. I guess I'm just following up on my years of scouting

central Florida/now work-living in North Carolina
    i got a new mosin carbine still wrapped in cheese cloth and cosmolined for 65$ about 6 or 7 years ago. took it out in the woods by my house and set up a target (a circle drawn on a box) sat it in front of a pine tree. started shooting . from about 50 yards its really accurate. i hit the box everytime. the bullets knocked chunks out of the pine tree. the recoil knocked chunks out of my shoulder. i weigh in at around 160. this thing is fun to shoot sounds like a artillary piece going off, and has knock down power of an enraged rhino.i had a mauser full size. there to big bulky,(i traded it for a Bow)(it was so big holding it up to aim at the target wore me out) i would imagine the full size mosin is about the same. but the little carbine is a great weapon. as a bug out prolly not its loud as hell let everyone know where you are. if you shoot a squirrel or a rabbit with it there wont be anything left so useless for hunting. as a security/defensive weapon when shtf great weapon great weapon. you hit 1 attacker and the rest see the damage they will leave.unlike the .223 which you usually got hit them at least 3 times. of course you'd hit them 3 times with a ar faster than you would once with a mosin probably

Quote Originally Posted by coyy2k1 View Post
    OMG that is the funniest comparison list that I have ever seen. I am rolling on the floor laughing, great post
    I can not claim it as my own. I got it at ArizonaGunOwners.com and I think the OP there got it from somewhere else too.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Ads