Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Mosin Nagant M91/30

This is a discussion on Mosin Nagant M91/30 within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Love mine. Here is about what it looks like (changed a few things since then like removed the rear sight, duracoated bolt handle...) Paid $114 ...

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Mosin?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Worthless

1 2.94%
  • if it was free

4 11.76%
  • Awesome and very good to have

24 70.59%
  • Just wicked accurate and ready to rock

5 14.71%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Mosin Nagant M91/30

Love mine. Here is about what it looks like (changed a few things since then like removed the rear sight, duracoated bolt handle...)
    Paid $114 for mine OTD.
    Mosin Nagant M91/30-img_3415.jpg
    Last edited by yzingerr; 01-31-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    Freedom Fighter
    Guns kill people like pencils make mistakes.

I haven't been to a gun show recently to price them, there's a show next month so I'll see what they're going for then. My gut feeling is even at $150 it's still a bargain, what other rifle are you going to buy at that price? There's aren't very many bolt guns in the $150 range, you might be able to come up with a beater rifle at that price or a fixer upper but I doubt it'll be as trouble free as a Mosin. Would it be my first choice as a SHTF gun, absolutely not, but I certainly wouldn't feel under gunned with one in an emergency. I have better bolt guns that if needed would be called to duty before the Mosin but the Mosin would due in a pinch if I needed it. Personally if I were in a situation where I thought I needed a rifle for defense, I'd grab my Mini-14 or the SKS if the Mini were not available.

-Infidel

I have a variety of military firearms, it's a hobby of mine. Included are a 1943 91/30, and a 1948 M44. The Mosin Nagant is a robust, accurate, military rifle of war. In my humble opinion it should be left as-is, original.
    Guns Magazine did a test last year, authored by Mike Venturino and one of the head guys at Hornady ammunition, testing original WWII sniper rifles, with original optics, using original WWII issue ammo. Tested were a 91/30, a Springfield 1903A4, a Mauser K98k, and an Enfield No4 Mk1 at ranges from 100 to 1,000 yards. While some rifles performed better than the others at different ranges, the most consistantly accurate and the best over all was the lowly 91/30.
    The results suprised everyone.
    Get a 91/30 and leave it alone, you will be happy. For what you would spend to Bubba it, I mean "sporterize" it, you could just buy a budget Remington or Savage.
    I shoot current manufacture Wolf and Bear ammo, but have put away about 1,000 rounds of 1954 Bulgarian surplus for hard times.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 01-31-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    shadownmss likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division

Quote Originally Posted by drt4lfe View Post
    Myself and a group of guys I worked with bought a case of them around 1985......Total junk.....I would never spend another nickel on one.....basic bolt guns by Savage, Marlin, Ruger do not cost much more money and you get way better of a weapon....
    How so? I'm curious, why did you find them to be junk?
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division

They are great my son has gotten really good with his. he can hit a disc off of an old plow from 200 yards with the iron sights.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat. --Ronald Reagan

Total junk might be a bit strong, remember that most of these rifles were built at a time when Russia needed arms of any sort and these were quick to produce. They are not refined rifles, often the fit & finish leaves a lot to be desired of. They are functional and accurate enough for their intended purpose which was taking opposing forces off of the battlefield. Certainly there are rifles that are more accurate or more refined but in this price range you'd be hard pressed to find a better rifle for this purpose. The rifles are robust and could probably double as a hammer or canoe paddle if it came right down to it. Accuracy issues in these rifles can usually be traced to a bore that was not taken care of or a crown that was banged up. A lot of people hate these rifles and up until a year and a half or so ago I wouldn't have given one a second look let alone space in my safe due to a bad experience with one that a buddy owned when I was about 18. That rifle was beat, the bore was pitted and dark and the crown was all but destroyed, firing caused keyholing 10" groups at 100yds. Last year I got the bug to give them another try and I'm glad I did, I paid $109 for it and it shoots great for what it is. Unfortunately the $100 Mosin is quickly becoming a thing of the past so if you're going to buy one, do it now.

-Infidel
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

I have a feeling that drt doesnt own a mosin.
    as a person who owns both a ruger american in .308 and a mosin, i can tell you all about them in comparison.
    The mosin is solid and nearly as accurate, but weighs probably 3 * as much as the American does.
    the American is nice, especially at the price point but it definitely is a price point budget rifle. This stock is polymer and of the 6 I looked at in the gun store, every one of them was not evenly gapped around the barrel.
    The action is far from smooth on the american, but better than the mosin.
    You have to compare apples to apples.
    it's hardly fair to compare an 80 year old military rifle that has seen two wars compared to a modern sporting rifle.
    rice paddy daddy, Irish and Mule13 like this.
    Freedom Fighter

And on the subject of as if "your life depended on" the weapon....doesnt get much simpler than a bolt action.
    People bet their lives on ARs all day, and they have 10x more parts than a bolt action and inherently less reliable...
    Freedom Fighter

Wow, don't know what to say .... Just kidding, buying a rifle is like buying a car, some like ford some like Chevy, a rifle is the same. Just ask anyone who shoots. I personally have 6 Mosin's and each is different, from the 1928 to the 1944 model some being carbines and others long rifles, some with bayonets some not. They have one hellavu kick and are fun to shoot. Would I use them for defense of my family and home, most defiantly, if need be. Are there other weapons that are better, I would say so after 70 years of war. I will say this, it's better to have and not use than not have and need. The ammo is inexpensive, and for the weapon you get they are as well, I have shot all six of mine and they all shoot well one is even. A Finnish capture and retooled, love it as well. Last, weapons are a personal pref and it all depends on what you can afford. I just say its better to have something than nothing at all. Good luck.
    punch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drt4lfe View Post
    Exactly......a gun from a bygone era.......IMO why would anyone want a relic when you can have a modern rifle that is way better, especially if your life may depend on it...I bought a Ruger American rifle in 308 after reading a few reviews after they came out.....$357 dollars......shoots 3/4 inch groups with handloads at 100...less than 3 inches at 300 if I do my part.....everything about it is light years ahead of a Mosin....accuracy, balance, weight, adjustable trigger, scope mounting,modern calibers....a win, win and worth buying up to.....save and buy better, you will be glad you did.
    My point exactly, the Ruger American is $200+ more than a decent Mosin, if you're looking for a budget weapon this is about as low budget reliable as you're going to find. It would make a great last ditch weapon, oil it up real good vacuum seal it with some ammo with a food saver or similar appliance put it in a PVC tube and bury it, 50 years from now it'll still be functional and if you never need it you can leave it there for future generations and never lose sleep over wasting the money burying a rifle. Now if money is not an issue then by all means buy a better quality of rifle for your bug out scenario, the new Ruger GSR would be a great candidate for this role, .308 Win with iron sights and a forward mounted rail for a scout scope along with 10rd detachable mags make this rifle a no brainer. Not sure I'd want to bury a GSR in the dirt though, I'd have to shoot it quite often, looks like a lot of fun.

-Infidel

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Ads