Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Reloading

This is a discussion on Reloading within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; We have a Rock Chucker Supreme reloader and it is very easy to use. It does not take strength to use it. The handle pushes ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Reloading

We have a Rock Chucker Supreme reloader and it is very easy to use. It does not take strength to use it. The handle pushes down and it takes VERY little force. I would imagine they all work about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastalGardens View Post
    Thanks again guys! One question I had was- how hard are the presses to operate? Considering that men tend to have more upper body strength than women, my main concern is if I'll be able to properly work the equipment if you have to use too much 'heavy lifting' and muscle with it. I'm no weakling, but I don't exactly bench 300 lbs, if you know what I mean.

I've been buying package deals on Craigslist, then selling off what I don't need. I know CList can be dangerous, but it can't be any worse than meeting a stranger in a parking lot when you KNOW guns are involved.

When I drive by a GunShop I stop in and browse, if they have something I pick it up. Soon I'll have enough.

One think I didn't mention was get a good scale that measures in grains for powder weights. I personally have both an RCBS beam scale but use it to check my Hornady CS-1500 electronic scale once in a while. I paid about $30 for the electronic scale which is small compact and easy to carry. It will store an extra set of batteries which seem to last a very long time. If the battery saver turns it off just hit on again with it coming back to exactly where it was. The beam scale I bought used as part of a larger buy of used equipment.

I also have a Lee Breech Lock hand press that I also use on occasions usually at the range to remove spent primers but have also used it to load a few rounds. It operates like a single stage press and with the Breech Locks for each die makes it pretty quick. https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...nly-90685.html using the Lee powder scoop set though you get a scoop with most of the die sets as well as a shell holder for that caliber.

If you use YouTube go to the press maker sights first an view their videos it will help separate the good from bad videos out there later posted by users. Sometimes the things they do can cause problems. Since I got into it by the way I enjoy it as much as shooting as I find it relaxing.
    Last edited by joec; 01-22-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    Lee Classic Cast used for sizing and lubing cast bullets, loading 12 ga shot shell with black powder and other items.
    Attachment 1307
    Your 12ga ShotShell die set is truly awesome.. Wish RCBS still made them...

Quote Originally Posted by gemoose23 View Post
    Your 12ga ShotShell die set is truly awesome.. Wish RCBS still made them...
    Actually they do. The are now sold as the RCBS Cowboy shot shell die used for Magtech brass shot shells only. Here is where I got it RCBS Cowboy Brass Shot shell Die 12 Ga and had a machinist friend of mine make me a piece to press in the wads over the powder so it would be compressed properly. The main problem though is the die needs a press that will accept a 1 1/4x12 die which the Lee Classic Cast version I have will buy removing the adapter piece to convert it to use a 7/8x14 die which is standard on most. The make two versions of it the one like mine and the Breech lock version which won't accept the 1 1/4" dies. However there is a way around that also offered by Hornady in that they sell a plug from 1 1/4 tread that then excepts their version of the breech lock. Hornady Lock-N-Load Press Die Conversion Bushing Kit

Those load with black powder only and not safe for smokeless powders. Modern shotgun shells are still fairly cheap and available in my area. I do have either the Lee Load All II or some other shotgun press on my to get list though but at the moment I have a large stock pile of factory loads.

I have a progressive press now, but I started out with three single stage presses lined up in a row. That way you dont have to change dies between processes. Midway and Brownells are good sources for supplies but I buy most from Graf and sons and a local business. If there is a local business that sells powder and primers you are better off usually than paying the hazmat fees to have stuff shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    I have a progressive press now, but I started out with three single stage presses lined up in a row. That way you dont have to change dies between processes. Midway and Brownells are good sources for supplies but I buy most from Graf and sons and a local business. If there is a local business that sells powder and primers you are better off usually than paying the hazmat fees to have stuff shipped.
    Yes I buy my smokeless powders and primers from the either the local gun shop around the corner that does carry some and what they don't have I buy from the local Sportsman's Warehouse here. Bullets I buy on line as no one sells the ones I use locally. Brass I use once fired brass I buy from various sources on the reloading boards or new from Starline directly. Winchester, Remington and other companies have about forced me to Starline exclusively with their price on bulk brass. Starline however in my opinions is a good as it gets for most brass and every thing I load. Black powder my cowboy action groups puts together a group buy usually 25 to 50 lbs and it splits up the hazmat fees making it practical. I uselly buy about 8 to 10 lbs of black powder each year which covers my needs for till the next buy.
    Last edited by joec; 01-23-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoastalGardens View Post
    Thanks again guys! One question I had was- how hard are the presses to operate? Considering that men tend to have more upper body strength than women, my main concern is if I'll be able to properly work the equipment if you have to use too much 'heavy lifting' and muscle with it. I'm no weakling, but I don't exactly bench 300 lbs, if you know what I mean.
    The Lee hand press you might find to be a little more work than you want although it should be managable. I dont consider it to take much in the way of muscle. You just might not load too many rounds at one sitting and wait a fewe days before loading another batch. Pistol rounds and small rifle cases such as the 223 should be plenty easy enough to do with the Lee hand press unless your really lacking in upper body strength. Of course larger cases will probably take a little in the way of gas in the tank to full length size4. Any bench mounted press should pose little resistenance to even a 10 year old school girl! Lee does have one very small compact single stage press thats pretty cheap thats bench mounted.
    Last edited by LunaticFringeInc; 01-22-2013 at 09:04 PM.

My 5 & 7 year old boys have helped me resize cases up to .280 Rem and that's the step that would require the most strength, shouldn't pose much problem for an adult. Hazmat fees can add up to quite a bit, if you have to order powder and primers make sure you order enough to make it worth while. I just ordered some H335 (which won't be shipped until 2/22 or so thanks to all the panicked buying), since I was ordering I ordered 6 lbs (no 8lb jugs or I would have ordered that) and the hazmat fee only raised the price about $5 per pound. If they had any primers I would have ordered them too but no such luck.

For equipment, you get a lot for your money with Lee equipment but I really don't like their beam scale, it looks and feels cheap to me. I love RCBS stuff and their Customer Service is top notch but you'll pay a little extra for it.

The best advice I can give for anyone getting into reloading is to go slow and triple check everything. Do a lot of reading before you start and keep your reference material handy when you get started. Keep the distractions away from your reloading area, no TV or radio (once you get comfortable a small radio will help keep you from getting bored but keep it out for a while), tell the wife & kids to stay away and don't let anyone yap in your ear while you're working.

-Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
    My 5 & 7 year old boys have helped me resize cases up to .280 Rem and that's the step that would require the most strength, shouldn't pose much problem for an adult. Hazmat fees can add up to quite a bit, if you have to order powder and primers make sure you order enough to make it worth while. I just ordered some H335 (which won't be shipped until 2/22 or so thanks to all the panicked buying), since I was ordering I ordered 6 lbs (no 8lb jugs or I would have ordered that) and the hazmat fee only raised the price about $5 per pound. If they had any primers I would have ordered them too but no such luck.

For equipment, you get a lot for your money with Lee equipment but I really don't like their beam scale, it looks and feels cheap to me. I love RCBS stuff and their Customer Service is top notch but you'll pay a little extra for it.

The best advice I can give for anyone getting into reloading is to go slow and triple check everything. Do a lot of reading before you start and keep your reference material handy when you get started. Keep the distractions away from your reloading area, no TV or radio (once you get comfortable a small radio will help keep you from getting bored but keep it out for a while), tell the wife & kids to stay away and don't let anyone yap in your ear while you're working.

-Infidel
    To add to what you said, no smoking or drinking either while loading. I actually saw a video of a gun that had a cigarette burning a few inches from an open bottle of powder. He also seen a beer bottle sitting there about half drank. Just not wise to mix alcohol and guns not that I'm against drinking but put the guns and loading aside once you do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads