Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

My wife can't keep a secret!

3K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  ApexPredator 
#1 ·
My great aunt is a really sweet lady, she is 85 year old. Her husband died a couple of years ago and her son has left her out to dry, stole money from her and just being mean. My wife has been helping her by taking her to the store and things she needs, I do as well when I am able. Now to the long gun part my wife was over there yesterday and she told her what she was giving me for Christmas.

It will be one of my uncles long guns, don't know what it is yet. I am like a kid in a candy store, wasn't expecting anything for Christmas. I may be old fashioned but I am so glad to get a part of his collection. he had several 30-30, 30-06 deer rifles so I don't know. Brings me to ask the question do people pass down firearms like they used to? I have one of my papaws rifles. These are firearms I will never sell or get rid of, until I pass them down to my daughter. Thanks for listening

#3 ·
We do in my family. Me and my brother and cousins each have one or two of my grandfather's guns. I will never sell them, but I will pass them down. My brother and I also have my dad's guns from when he passed. It's how I got my series 70 colt. My kids will get all of those plus whatever I have personally bought that is still in my collection when my time comes.

#5 ·
That is a tradition. At least it still is here. My father gave me his deer rifle. He's still on the right side of the dirt he just didn't use it. I'll leave that one to my oldest and they can split the rest amongst each other. They will have plenty to share.

#8 ·
I got into genealogy a few years back and one of the interesting themes has been figuring out where certain weapons went on the one hand and figuring out where weapons that are in the family today came from. There was one that had a very interesting history, but no one knew the story from end to end until we all compared notes. It had passed between several siblings of one generation and then the full story didn't get passed to the next generation. some of us knew the story but didn't know what became of it. The fellow who had it, didn't know the story. Now we all know the full story behind a very historic firearm.

#9 ·
Its great to handle am heirloom and use it. When you get that deer or grouse you can feel your ancestors presence. Same with fishing gear. Found an old cigar my dad had tucked away in a tackle box. Dry and harsh, but I enjoyed it just the same.

#22 ·
If you find another cigar, put it in a ziplock bag with a slice of apple for 2 or 3 days. It will absorb the moisture from the apple and be much better.

Unfortunately, my brother and I didn't get any firearms from our Dad or Grandad.
A few of Grandad's guns went to my dad and his brother (their choices of what was left). The bulk of them went to Grandad's 3rd wife's son. I doubt he still has them.
Our Dad's went to his 2nd wife's nephew. She never had kids and resented the hell out of us.

So, my brother and I will be handing down what we have collected on our own. I have 4 children, they won't get much.

#10 ·
I was real close to my Pop. When he passed he left me his revolver that he carried everyday. It was his favorite firearm.

That gesture will always mean the world to me. It is something I'll never get rid of.

My problem, I have two boys. I have plenty to pass on, but who gets that?

#11 ·
i have an old winchester model 77 22 lR that was my grandfathers he gave to my dad, when i was young me and a few other boys would go out in the woods over the weekends, thats the rifle i always carried. when my son gets back from the military, i'll give it to him. he also gets my old 410 shotgun. best squirrel gun i ever owned :)

#13 ·
I can never pass down to my son any of my fire arms. They jury is still out on oldest (just 21) grandson. In a lot of ways he's too much like my son but I see hope for him. My only recourse is a nephew by marriage. A good guy and a prepper to some degree.

#16 ·
I've noticed lately that both my Son's are starting to look at my things differently and I thought I overheard a conversation last Thanksgiving in which, I swear, they were divying up my stuff! :68:

I've been messin' with their minds for years, telling each one that he was my favorite Son, but don't tell the other! :p

#17 ·
I got the majority of my grandfather's firearms. They will be passed on to my son's with my guns when the time comes. I plan on leaving each of them a sizable collection. I keep telling my wife that they are an investment "what else can you buy that will still work like new 100-200 years from now if you take care of it".

#24 ·
I've gotten quite a few of my great grand parents and grandparents guns. When my dad passed I got all of his (a large collection) kept the ones that held lots of sentimental value and gave a few to each of my nephews. I doubt I ever have any kids and if that's the case the family guns will go to the nephews and the rest of my collection will get divided among my best friend's two sons. (They will probably get a few of my great grandads and dads as well).

#26 ·
We do and will. No weapons are listed in any will or insurance papers. The Children all know witch ones they get. Not like they won't all end up shared anyway but each already know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.