Compost tumbler or compost heap?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Compost tumbler or compost heap?

This is a discussion on Compost tumbler or compost heap? within the Recycling, Composting, Reducing, Reuse, Environment forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Hello everyone, Great o be on this forum!!! a lot of sub forums to choose from. I have now just taken half of my working ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Compost tumbler or compost heap?

Post Compost tumbler or compost heap?

Hello everyone,

Great o be on this forum!!! a lot of sub forums to choose from. I have now just taken half of my working hours and placed them into my personal time and i want to start a natural garden. I have plenty of dead leafs and mowed grass hanging around to get me started on a composting but i'm not sure the best method/size for me to use. My garden is 32m long by 15m at the widest point and at the moment pretty much just grass and trees. I am going to section the garden out into different areas, paths, flower bedding, vegetable garden, grass area etc. Being as it is going to take me a while to section out the garden its a good time to compost now. I am stuck between a compost tumbler which are an awesome idea easy to use and easy to move around. Or the old school standard homemade large wooden box and a good old pole to mix it up? and speaking of mixing what do you guys use and how often do you mix????

Any information/advice would be a greatly appreciated guys

Compost tumbler or compost heap?-00composttumbler00.jpg
    Name:  00composting00.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  12.6 KB

Thanks guys

I've used both methods and they both work. The tumbler will keep the tree roots out of the pile. It's a matter of choice, I guess.
    Respect everything, fear nothing.

So you are happy with both approaches. Maybe i need both approaches thinking about it, the amount i will need in the beginning the homemade box will be good for and for keeping up with the garden once finish the tumbler. i was kinda hoping people would go for the tumbler straight up being how popular they are online example below of a great site with great prices. I will wait on a couple more reply's...

http://www.easyprices.com/home-garden

Thanks for the reply
    Last edited by Georgey_A; 11-28-2016 at 11:57 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I think it also depends on how much waste you will be composting. I would lean towards the old school box composter myself, but if your don't have a lot of kitchen/garden waste maybe the tumbler would be big enough.

If you really want the tumbler then get it. The mobile tumbler would be convenient.
    Last edited by Sonya; 11-28-2016 at 05:03 AM.
    Moonshinedave likes this.

Compost is compost is compost. Get both and see what works best for you.
    Moonshinedave likes this.

I would think the tumbler would be much quicker... but much more expensive. So just depends on your needs. I don't have time to work my compost pile, so I just use the cold method, where I leave the pile alone & let the material turn to compost in its own sweet time. If I wanted to speed mine up, I could keep it moist & turn it often. Since you ask, if I were to mix mine I'd use forks on the end of the tractor bucket.
    Moonshinedave and Maol9 like this.

I use a tumbler , it's easier for me to use . I just spin it every other day , and when I add stuff to it .
    Moonshinedave and Maol9 like this.
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

In my opinion...and I have a lot smaller garden than you do!

The Tumblers are nice for sure. My issue with them as most are not built that durable given the cost and they are small, even the big ones! As previously mentioned, unless you have a minimal amount of refuse from the Kitchen and the Yard, you'll probably find them a bit lacking capacity wise. I have found that they do make the process a little quicker but composting still takes some time. I always had material backing up waiting for its turn in the tumbler while I waited for whats in the tumbler to break down suffciently enough to be rotated out.

The bin method...thats what I am using now. I have a bin that holds about a 1/2 yard of material and to be honest its a little lacking capacity wise but usually keeps up well enough. Yes its a little more work turning it than it is to tumble the tumbler type and yes its sometimes a bit slower to break material down. Im on a much smaller lot than you and I have no problem with having enough material to go in the compost bin, I definitely could use something bigger or I need another container so I can rotate my piles. I usually manage about a 1/2 a yard every 3 months or there abouts.

Now while its a bit more work to compost....all my gardens are raised beds and all of my soil in my beds came from the compost piles. This has made my gardens cheap to build and maintain. The results despite the small amount of space I have to work with is amazing to say the least. The production I get is mind blowing, my neighbors think I am a Gardening God. They swear I am using some sort of steroid or magic potion, lol. My plants are rapidly growing thick and lush, production is very heavy when the plants are old enough to produce and flavor unsurpassed! For example....My Tomato plants, 4 of them, got to be about 7ft tall and I was wacking about 3 ft off the tops every week to keep them managable. I was getting about a 13 gallon trash can of Tangerine sized Tomatoes weekly! My Bell Peppers were about the size of a 44 ounce cup of soda at Sonic, huge! I water so much less than what my neighbors here do in Texas and weed a lot less too! I have never used chemical fertilizers, chemicals to control weeds or pest and spend much less time working my garden and get much better results. Using Heirloom seeds and natures way of doing things has seriously up my game when it comes to gardening success. I wished I would have jumped on this bandwagon decades ago!!!
    Moonshinedave and Slippy like this.

I've used compost piles, although only leaves and such, no kitchen throw outs. I would imagine a tumbler would be better and faster, if nothing else, it would keep the rodents out. Why not use both methods?
    Hidden Content Y b NorMal?

Looks like i am going down the path of getting both. In the beginning i am going to have a lot of waste material for the compost heap but not so much from the kitchen. I will get family and friends to save their kitchen waste for me to add to my compost. I am going to clear and are in my garden and build a wooden compost heap and also order a tumbler. Have any of you got any suggestions on a compost tumbler or are they all pretty much the same???

Thanks for the reply's guys.
    sideKahr likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links