Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Protect your Bug out Land/Retreat/Cabin

This is a discussion on Protect your Bug out Land/Retreat/Cabin within the Preppers Retreat and Lodge forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; When I was younger, my family had a large home away from home cabin in the woods about 5 miles from us. We would go ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Protect your Bug out Land/Retreat/Cabin

Administrator

Protect your Bug out Land/Retreat/Cabin

When I was younger, my family had a large home away from home cabin in the woods about 5 miles from us. We would go up the mountain on the weekends, play music, build fires, swim/fish/bathe in the pond. A lot of memories.

One day we saw some smoke in the direction of our cabin, which we found out was our cabin. The police said that there were some (3 wheeler marks, yes, I'm that old), beer cans around the cabin where we figured people would go during the week to do their partying in our cabin. We had locks on the cabin, which of course I'm sure they came in through the windows. Anyway, burnt down to the ground.

What tactics would you think of protecting your retreat (prior to SHTF) that would be a safe way to deter trespassers?

Some things from my experience is:

• Have high windows
    • Multiple locks
    • Beware of dog signs
    • Fake security cameras
    • Trip wire net like used in Predator. Ok, just kidding on that one.
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -Benjamin Franklin
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace". -George Washington
    "I most be getting to rightwing for the rightwingers, or too radical for the radicals
    ." -Fuzzee
    "one reason we prep is to be available when necessary to rebuild society here in America. Perhaps a less effluent society at first, but a civilized society." -rob

I have thought about this often. I was thinking shutters on the inside of the windows or some that close from the inside then close the window. Deer cams work great for catching people. This will be an interesting thread thank you for posting it....

Why do I not have a thank you button ???
    Last edited by Watercanlady; 10-02-2012 at 07:09 AM.
    survival likes this.

Administrator
    Check the lower right hand corner of the window, it disappears until you move close to it.

Great idea on the deer cam and windows. If they don't have the strength or tools to pry it open, they'll give up.
    Wallimiyama and Watercanlady like this.
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -Benjamin Franklin
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace". -George Washington
    "I most be getting to rightwing for the rightwingers, or too radical for the radicals
    ." -Fuzzee
    "one reason we prep is to be available when necessary to rebuild society here in America. Perhaps a less effluent society at first, but a civilized society." -rob

A sign like this on the door might make them think twice about going in-

Signs around stating alarm system up and running along with web cam. There are ways to do more, but won't discuss them here. Noise makers help. p.s, I got rid of my 3 wheeler about 20 years ago.

A good idea might be to wrap warning tape completely around a cabin and put the asbestos signs on all 4 sides like in this mockup..

Last edited by Lucky Jim; 10-13-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    preppermama and WVTactics like this.

Any thing you do, they will just come up with more ingeniuos ways to steal/destroy you stuff.

A friend of mine has had some property out in the middle of now where near a National Forest (we go and ATV there often) and there are some locals out there as well. He built a steel barn out there to house his ATVs and tractors to work on the property and ride in the Nat Forest. He then had a pair old Mobile home trailers put down there. The first time "the Locals" broke in they simply used bolt cutters. So he put on better doors with dead bolts. So the "locals" used a torch and cut a hole the size of the tractor in the side of the steel Building. So he put concrete barriers all around next to the building with 10" steel post infront of each barrier and parked an old cat dozer infront of the door and took out the battery, starter, alternator, ignition, fuses etc... so the "locals" used dynamite (big mining area). Joke was on them however, their was nothing in the building and he had deer cameras all up around the property which extended up and down the road for about a mile and caught the "locals" parking their trucks.

He has now built him a nice home and lives there on and off through out the yr. Hasn't had a problem since they got caught. So I guess what I am saying is,,, use the cameras to catch the "locals". Usually its just 1 bad bunch and once they get caught they will stay away. Maybe put your prep stuff in a container buried in a hill side with vegetation covering it. like an old fallout/storm shelter setup.
    Last edited by LAWNKILLER; 10-03-2012 at 03:06 PM.
    preppermama and ordnance21xx like this.

We used to be able to buy burglar alarms here in Britain about 15 years ago that used blank shotgun shells, I never had one but I saw them on sale in a gunshop.
    I can't find any pics on the net so I don't know if they've been banned, but they looked like this-
    They were simply a vertical rod with the shell clamped at the bottom, and a dead weight metal block slid down the rod to fire the shell.
    You stood them just inside your door.
    I can't remember what triggered the block to drop, I think there was some kind of simple linkage to the door handle.
    I should imagine they'd make burglars think twice about coming in after hearing the blast; they'd probably think the home owner had fired a warning shot!
    They'd be easy for anybody to make except in Britain, we'd probably be arrested if we tried to get blank shells over here..

Last edited by Lucky Jim; 10-03-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by survival View Post
    • Trip wire net like used in Predator. Ok, just kidding on that one.
    Bear traps?
    Always remember- there's a wealth around you

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Jim View Post
    A good idea might be to wrap warning tape completely around a cabin and put the asbestos signs on all 4 sides like in this mockup..

LOL! Or like "Danger, smallpox hazard" or something like that. Maybe "Raw sewage leak" signs
    Always remember- there's a wealth around you

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads