Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Protect your Bug out Land/Retreat/Cabin

This is a discussion on Protect your Bug out Land/Retreat/Cabin within the Preppers Retreat and Lodge forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; Originally Posted by Smitty901 Your not going to convince me there are no weapons stashed in the UK. A lot of unaccounted for Enfields The ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Protect your Bug out Land/Retreat/Cabin

England, America's NATO ally for 65 years
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Your not going to convince me there are no weapons stashed in the UK. A lot of unaccounted for Enfields The dog may play nice I won't..
    Servicemen bringing .303 Enfields back from WW2 would probably have had them confiscated at the docks because rifles are hard to conceal.
    I estimate 95% of the Brit population haven't got a gun of any kind, and of the remainder 4% are farmers with shotguns, and 1% are criminals with a motley assortment of unreliable handguns and the odd shotgun.
    The only police with guns are "Armed Response Units" which means if a crim is walking round taking potshots at people, the unarmed police run away and hide and wait for the ARU to turn up, that's what happened with the Hungerford Massacre.
    The only guns I've ever seen close up were two handguns my dad brought back from WW2 (he was an aircraft mechanic in the Far East) and he let me handle them when I was about 6 years old, they must have made an impression on me because I remember how cold and heavy they were compared to my toy cowboy guns, one was squarish, probably a 9mm Browning?
    I don't think he had any ammo for them. He made me promise never to tell anybody he'd got 'em.
    Whatever happened to them I've no idea, he probably threw 'em away, I searched the house and attic years later but there was no sign.

PS- note the small print at the bottom of that blank (repeat blank!) pistol advert above, we have to be film directors or whatever or we're not allowed to buy one, that's how strict the gun laws are over here, crazy!
    I bet some crims try to convert them to fire real bullets, but I hear the metal is too soft and the gun is likely to blow up in their hand, ha ha!
    Last edited by Lucky Jim; 12-08-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Protect your Bug out Land/Retreat/Cabin

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    If you are really interested This is for information only you should never try to make anything always buy it at the store. Making things may be against the law or get you hurt. The publication is freely available and does not violate any US laws to have or read yet. The pub is not protected under any copy right per US law.
    Changed my mind look it up TM 31-210
    Thanks Smitty901 that's exactly what I was trying to remember, along with don't do this at home kids, and author takes no responsibility.
    Typos courtesy of "Auto-Correct" software.

Why people are checking out your property in the middle of the night:

1) Meth heads looking for pawnable property
    2) Curious hunters
    3) People hiding from the law
    4) People looking for a prepper site they can squat on

Preppers are the 1%. In SHTF, the rest would eventually come for your stuff.

My property could easily be accessed by hunters and off road enthusiast, but in 21 years we have seen no sign of them. Remoteness helps, for we are 71 miles from the nearest incorporated town and 120 miles from what anyone calls a city. #1 answer remoteness.

The home I am building and started a year ago is a sand bag residence. May sound ugly but it's easy to stuco the inside and make it look great. I'll stuco the outside too. A metal and brick roof means I really have no fire hazard. #2 answer build fire proof.

If someone broke into my new unoccupied home right now they could have shelter but they'd probably have to be someone I've brought with me to find the house and anything worth a dime. #3 & 4 residence concealment and then hiding your bug out goods ( some are buried ).

In a SHTF really bad bug out we'd launch a second tier wall a good 40 feet out from the residence on three sides and use the mountain for side 4.

Quote Originally Posted by survival View Post
    When I was younger, my family had a large home away from home cabin in the woods about 5 miles from us. We would go up the mountain on the weekends, play music, build fires, swim/fish/bathe in the pond. A lot of memories.

One day we saw some smoke in the direction of our cabin, which we found out was our cabin. The police said that there were some (3 wheeler marks, yes, I'm that old), beer cans around the cabin where we figured people would go during the week to do their partying in our cabin. We had locks on the cabin, which of course I'm sure they came in through the windows. Anyway, burnt down to the ground.

What tactics would you think of protecting your retreat (prior to SHTF) that would be a safe way to deter trespassers?

Some things from my experience is:

• Have high windows
    • Multiple locks
    • Beware of dog signs
    • Fake security cameras
    • Trip wire net like used in Predator. Ok, just kidding on that one.

England, America's NATO ally for 65 years
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWNKILLER View Post
    ..Any thing you do, they will just come up with more ingeniuos ways to steal/destroy you stuff...
    Yeah but the trick is to give them the option of busting into your place or into somebody elses!
    Crooks are dumb but they wouldn't be so dumb as to ignore your signs and hit your place when they could hit an un-signed place down the road..

This may be a bit extreme but I have pondered on a few non lethal 'booby trap' options (lethal force against intruders would be 'illegal' right? HAHA). Would take some caution on the BOL owners part not to get caught up in them themselves but I figure its just the price to pay for effective security.

I like the Idea of booby traps dead falls certain paths that look normal and actually designed to funnel a person that way with some hidden spike nails and all sorts of fun to pop tires!! Id even build some fun stuff that they may trip a wire of sorts driving past on there quad and than immediately having a rope fly up tight in front of them a nice close line effect or flip the quad!!
    gin_and_pete likes this.

I think the motion detector cameras and other security devices help you to secure your property because if you have alarm and signs on your property the other person try not to do any violence activity and in this way both the parties are secure and if any violence occur you get alert for that and you can call the police for quick action.

I took this picture of a forest service ranger station after it was closed up for the winter on a mountain goat hunt, it is about 24 miles back in a wilderness area.

Protect your Bug out Land/Retreat/Cabin-buffalo-station.jpg

The windows were covered with woven barbed wire as well as that screen door, and it had a typical metal bar with cut proof lock cover on it. The area has a lot of grizzly bears so some of the precautions are to keep them out.

For the location it seemed pretty safe, not many horse or back packers have the tools on them to break in.

If my cabin was on a private road how about spiking the road and blowing out their tires? Pick them back up with a magnet when you visit.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    I took this picture of a forest service ranger station after it was closed up for the winter on a mountain goat hunt, it is about 24 miles back in a wilderness area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buffalo Station.JPG 
Views:	494 
Size:	776.4 KB 
ID:	1972

The windows were covered with woven barbed wire as well as that screen door, and it had a typical metal bar with cut proof lock cover on it. The area has a lot of grizzly bears so some of the precautions are to keep them out.

For the location it seemed pretty safe, not many horse or back packers have the tools on them to break in.

If my cabin was on a private road how about spiking the road and blowing out their tires? Pick them back up with a magnet when you visit.
    Thats a good Idea,the spikes,you could possibly fabricate some sharpened "jacks" like kids used to play with only larger and sow them everywhere,just large enough to pierce a tire when that type of pressure is applied but,not so sharp as to pierce a a foot,so there are no legal issues. if someones boot picks a bunch up they would probably retreat.also, some cheap battery pull cord alarms like at wallyworld and other stores.if they hear the shriek instantly they might not investigate further.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads