Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Protect your Bug out Land/Retreat/Cabin

This is a discussion on Protect your Bug out Land/Retreat/Cabin within the Preppers Retreat and Lodge forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; Good stuff listed here... Trail camera is a real good idea. I have two I keep active, one on the front drive and one on ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Protect your Bug out Land/Retreat/Cabin

Good stuff listed here... Trail camera is a real good idea. I have two I keep active, one on the front drive and one on the back. I've taken some nice mug shots but no damage done, nothing stolen. It does make you think though, why is someone walking up my drive, after dark, in the middle of nowhere.

1895gunner

They use to sell cracker shell launchers that were triggerd by trip wires for around $5 at the gun shows...havent seen them in years...
    I like what these guys thought of...Digital Night-Vision Monocular | Year Zero Survival | Prepping For The Unexpected
    On my wish list...

To: "Lucky Jim"

You could get some tape and roll of paper-caps like they use for toy cap guns (assuming those aren't illegal) in Britain? Sure you get my drift, loud, legal noise makers
    Last edited by SilentNightPrepper; 12-07-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Cell messed up reply to "Lucky Jim"
    Typos courtesy of "Auto-Correct" software.

Maybe some cameras either real or fake and a sign that reads "protected by remote cameras"
    If you can get a cell phone signal you can have an alarm put in even without power to you cabin. They can be set up to call the police, fire department give you real time viewing of your cabin inside or out and call you on your cell phone. You just need to contact some of the alarm companies as there are so many options now most don't even need any wiring.
    Last edited by rickkyw1720pf; 12-07-2012 at 10:57 PM.

One of my favorites is the window alarm. Combine these with some tinted windows, security company signs, and fake cameras and you'll be in business. If someone opens a window or door and breaks contact, an ear-peircing alarm goes off.

Amazon.com: GE 51107 Smart Home Wireless Alarm System Kit: Home Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by survival View Post
    When I was younger, my family had a large home away from home cabin in the woods about 5 miles from us. We would go up the mountain on the weekends, play music, build fires, swim/fish/bathe in the pond. A lot of memories.

One day we saw some smoke in the direction of our cabin, which we found out was our cabin. The police said that there were some (3 wheeler marks, yes, I'm that old), beer cans around the cabin where we figured people would go during the week to do their partying in our cabin. We had locks on the cabin, which of course I'm sure they came in through the windows. Anyway, burnt down to the ground.

What tactics would you think of protecting your retreat (prior to SHTF) that would be a safe way to deter trespassers?

Some things from my experience is:

• Have high windows
    • Multiple locks
    • Beware of dog signs
    • Fake security cameras
    • Trip wire net like used in Predator. Ok, just kidding on that one.
    Another idea for SHTF conditions is to keep a bunch of stuff in a second nearby location. You could put stuff like camo clothing, food, water, ammunition in a buried container that only you know the location of. This would be a prime location to stage your effort to re-take the rest of your property.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentNightPrepper View Post
    To: "Lucky Jim"
    You could get some tape and roll of paper-caps like they use for toy cap guns (assuming those aren't illegal) in Britain? Sure you get my drift, loud, legal noise makers
    Ha ha, or even better I could get a blank-firing revolver, I had one about 20 years ago and its blast was so powerful it could set off car alarms in the street provided I used .22 longs and not baby 'shorts'..
    For two pins I'd get one to scare burglars off, I see this one is on the net, I'd empty the chamber at them while screaming "motherf******s, motherf******s, motherf******s" at the top of my voice like I've seen troops do in Nam movies-

Buying or making signs like these might also deter burglars and prowlers-

Last edited by Lucky Jim; 12-08-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Your not going to convince me there are no weapons stashed in the UK. A lot of unaccounted for Enfields The dog may play nice I won't
    inceptor and nadja like this.
    If you can not defend it, then your just holding it for the next owner.
    When will DHS come for you. They have declared us the enemy

Protect your Bug out Land/Retreat/Cabin

Don't do this with anything but a blank gun,

You could make a stand and mount a "Blank-Firing" gun on a swivel, cock it, put a string through the rear sling swivel (or around mounting post) then get a barrel sized dowel and put it in barrel (string end first) next tie another string to the opposite end and attach multiple trip lines.

When it's tripped the dowel will point it at the foe the dowel slides out and bang.
    Typos courtesy of "Auto-Correct" software.

If you are really interested This is for information only you should never try to make anything always buy it at the store. Making things may be against the law or get you hurt. The publication is freely available and does not violate any US laws to have or read yet. The pub is not protected under any copy right per US law.
    Changed my mind look it up TM 31-210
    Last edited by Smitty901; 12-08-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    If you can not defend it, then your just holding it for the next owner.
    When will DHS come for you. They have declared us the enemy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ads