Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

I GOT A FOOD SAVER! The Vacuum Kind. What to do?

This is a discussion on I GOT A FOOD SAVER! The Vacuum Kind. What to do? within the Prepper Tools forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Happy anniversary, may you enjoy many more! Originally Posted by jimb1972 Works great for stuff in the freezer for 1+ years, but I have noticed ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: I GOT A FOOD SAVER! The Vacuum Kind. What to do?

Happy anniversary, may you enjoy many more!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    Works great for stuff in the freezer for 1+ years, but I have noticed air pockets on bags that have been sealed for over 2 years. It would appear there is some air that gets through the plastic itself over longer periods.
    I've had a "Food saver" for so many years I can't actually say when I bought it. When I moved out of our first house and took stuff out of the chest freezer, I found some "lost steaks" that were 3+ years old. I took them along on the move and about a month later pulled them out to toss out. Curiosity got the better of me so I defrosted them for inspection. They were fine, no freezer burn at all. End up inviting the neighbors over for a cook out.

One trick I learned years ago and still use because I buy in big bulk (half steer). To prevent getting meat juice on the bag's seal area and mess up the seal, I wrap each meat in "SARAN" wrap first. I found a beneficial side effect. Because the S wrap is flattened tightly against the meat and all air is squeezed out next to the meat, when I find a leaking bag, the meat has almost always been ok.

GT, one thing, be careful handling the frozen bags. It seems the frozen bags can crack and leak. I let them defrost first or run warm water over them first. I also check all newly bagged food bags one day later to ensure he bag seal is ok. As I reuse the bags, I find leakers every so often. Now I toss the bag after 4 uses. I date the bag on the top strip to cut off and put a stroke tally on the bottom strip. I also put important papers and such in bags, as well as clothing for my BOB.

Hunting Hawk is absolutely correct about the using mason jars with the sealer to store dry goods. If you store oxygen absorbers, use the smallest jar possible. From playing with the jars, I found only about 1/3 of the air is evacuated from jars. I always try to fill the jar so there isn't much room for air and thereby get rid of as much air as possible. Since the bags collapse around the food, they are almost perfect vacuum.
    Have fun, you'll be surprised how many things you can do with it.
    Silverbullet and shotlady like this.

Happy Anniversary! We'll celebrate 20 in Feb.

All great tips so far. Here's another. If you want to vac seal moist items (fresh caught fish), line a cookie sheet with wax paper, lay out the meat on the paper and stick in the freezer for a while (maybe a half an hour). This will partially freeze items and the vac sealer won't pull the juices into the mechanism.

Congrats GT!!!! I have one and you can vac pack pretty much whatever you want. Just watch the seal. That seems to the short-coming of mine. I have to open the bag back up, then re-seal. It can be a pain in the ass. If yours has the extra vacuum/seal button, use it. I did find that a little pressure on the lid during the sealing part really helps. Hopefully though, yours just sails along! Also, save your bags. Just wash them out and re-use them. So be careful where you cut, as in as close to the seal as possible. You can boil, microwave frozen foods right in the bag too.
    shotlady likes this.
    Hear No Evil, See No Evil and Fuck You

Congrats! You will love the foodsaver. I just got mine as well and have been sealing ammo, food, and other provisions I have stocked up.
    shotlady likes this.

I definitely have never used it for sealing ammo.

I GOT A FOOD SAVER!  The Vacuum Kind.  What to do?-foodsaver_ammo.jpg

Sounds like something crazy people would do.
    shotlady likes this.
    I think Bigfoot is blurry; that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. "Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here." Mitch Hedberg

So far I've frozen some bulk pack steaks (raw) and some stuff the wife has made in the crock pot - odds and ends. I think I'm still learning and since most of the crock pot stuff is pretty liquid, the bags have been a challenge. You have to turn it sideways to seal it.

Tonight she made home made apple sauce. I turned some bags into thin tubes and made like a fruit pop out of them. Most of the cooked food I do, I try to do single serving sizes so I can freeze them and throw them in a cooler when we go camping. Mama's home cooking but far away.

So I think I need to get that attachment for mason jars and look for some different bags. A more pouch shaped small bag would be ideal.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

I think I want one congrats on the long marraiges! I never looked up or back after my first one of 10 yrs. I didn't notice the time passing. I do now... but im more interested in getting a food sealer. how do you love it? lots of good hints going on here!

I've had a food saver for .... OMG... I really don't know and unlike my dad, I still have my original unit and it is still going fine.

Here are my pearls of wisdom..

Always use the original food saver bags, the cheap ones really don't work. They are in value packs in Costco and they go on sale at least once a year for about 30% off

1. first bag you vaccume pack will often not seal right, the heat strip does need to be heated up, I usually burn a small piece warming up the unit before I really get serious sealing.

2. It is always better to have too much bag than too little, the bag seems to seal better when you use too much bag, if you cut the bags too short they often do not seal.

3. I love to seal my underwear, socks, extra gloves, etc in food saver bags in my bug out bag, less space, dry, who can ask for more?

4. If you seal home made jerky I would suggest cutting the ends off the jerky as the sharp points created during drying can puncture the bag.

5. Storing ammo seems like a waste, just get a surplus army ammo can, a lot cheaper and resealable.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Congrats. I wrap meats in SARAN wrap first to prevent getting liquids/oils on the seal area of the bags. I found that as bags age, they develop cracks/pin holes. Now I put newly packaged foods into fridge/freezer for a couple of days to watch for leakers. By accident, I found SARAN wrapped meats are substantially less likely to freezer burn if the bags leak because the SARAN wrap is like a second skin. We are on third machine in 20+ years. If using mason jars (they work great) and lids, keep jar as full as possible. The vac saver basically works by pulling about 60% of the oxygen out of jar while creating the vacuum. So the fuller the jar, the less oxygen in the jar. If you're vacuum saving in a jar for super duper long time, you might want to add a small oxygen absorber or look at nitrogen purge of the jar. I started doing nitro purge on aluminized mylar bags + the oxygen absorber. If sealing sharp objects, try wrapping in paper towel, TP, thin sheets of poly foam packing material, etc. TP can be used later on. I also "SOFT" vacuum (sealed before the machine wants to) plastic bottles of liquids in case bottle leaks. I also vac seal my green backs for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    Congrats. I wrap meats in SARAN wrap first to prevent getting liquids/oils on the seal area of the bags. I found that as bags age, they develop cracks/pin holes. Now I put newly packaged foods into fridge/freezer for a couple of days to watch for leakers. By accident, I found SARAN wrapped meats are substantially less likely to freezer burn if the bags leak because the SARAN wrap is like a second skin. We are on third machine in 20+ years. If using mason jars (they work great) and lids, keep jar as full as possible. The vac saver basically works by pulling about 60% of the oxygen out of jar while creating the vacuum. So the fuller the jar, the less oxygen in the jar. If you're vacuum saving in a jar for super duper long time, you might want to add a small oxygen absorber or look at nitrogen purge of the jar. I started doing nitro purge on aluminized mylar bags + the oxygen absorber. If sealing sharp objects, try wrapping in paper towel, TP, thin sheets of poly foam packing material, etc. TP can be used later on. I also "SOFT" vacuum (sealed before the machine wants to) plastic bottles of liquids in case bottle leaks. I also vac seal my green backs for storage.
    I totally agree, meat wrapped in plastic and then perhaps freezer paper is the 1st best cheapest way to preserve meat. Trust me I process and package several hundred pounds of raw flesh a year, paraquack has it figured out for low cost processing and I will do it the same way in the future.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads