Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Obama gives away control of Internet.

This is a discussion on Obama gives away control of Internet. within the Political News and Topics forums, part of the General Discussion category; Ok, so lets throw away the link they are trying to make tangible of ICANN and the NSA, Irrelevant mostly. Please drop those thought and ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Obama gives away control of Internet.

Ok, so lets throw away the link they are trying to make tangible of ICANN and the NSA, Irrelevant mostly. Please drop those thought and just look at ICANN with me.

ICANN:Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, what is their job? This is really simple they manage the purchase of all Domain Namespaces and the integrity of the system that keeps them in place.

Before I talked about DNS and the heavily Government version DNSSEC (I will talk DNSSEC at the end, the understanding of DNS is more important and the changes of DNSSEC are minimal in scope).

Go here and keep this page open in another Browser Tab, NsLookup - Query the DNS for resource records
    The first thing is I want you to put OMGAwesomeGovermentsiteWeee.com into the domain and choose the record type A. First off did you notice how many types of records are avalible in DNS? This does not stop at search engines... Hell no, it stops at GPS, Google Maps, Internet connectivity, Cell Phone Reception, Government power grid. IT IS ALL connected on some level by DNS Service Records. Hearing that they are doing it to lessen you worry of your search results just makes me want to vomit.... Notice when you run the Query it tells you OMGAwesomeGovermentsiteWeee.com Does not exists? What if I told you owning ICANN makes it that easy to turn off a domain. Now... do the same Query for google.com. you will notice quite a few A Records come up with IP4 Addresses. This is where I have some explaining to do.

IP4 is flawed, no one had any idea the internet would get so big. In truth IP4 can only host 255,255,255,254 Addresses on the internet. I will not explain why but. 313,000,000 people live in the US, Every home, Every Phone, Every Device you use connecting to the internet needs one of these IP's. Every Website or Service also needs one. My home alone uses 10. My work uses many, many more. You probably unknowing User at least 2-4. Now put in the world population of users on IPV4. 7,000,000,000. Now add 3-10 devices per person then services for Power, Gas, Water (Yea thats all controlled by IP's) Interconnecting work places, Games, and government use, then put in simple websites. How many are there? We are running out. So they made ICANN and DNS to help. Most Namespaces point to a Service IP then use NAT (Network Address Translation) and HOST Headers to place Domain names like google.com to the right Server the user is looking for. ICANN Runs this system for domains so we would not run out of direct IPs. No tech uses a direct IP for addressing, unless he is really low level or that IP will never, ever change. Changing an A record is so much simpler than changing an IP of 5,000 + pieces of equipment.

So lets get back to ICANN... what you do not see is the Fully Qualified Domain Name when you do your searches in google.com. You know in reality it actually looks like that "google.com." Silver, what is that period at the end of the .com"."?

It's control... You see when DNS Queries for a record it does this in steps. for google.com.
    1. hey "." what is the com address : com gives the address if available
    2. hey com what is the google address? : com give the google address if available
    3. the user is connected to the google address.

What ICANN is, is the control for PGE to connect to your smartmeter, or for you to connect to that cute search engine that does your searching. In control it also guarantees safety. You may have heard that the goal to hacking is gaining root to a machine. Why? Because you have complete control of a computer at root. If the internet had a root... ICANN is root. Now that we gave away control any foreign power who has the most money can turn off your online poker site at their bidding or decide that phone call you wanted to make just now will not go thru, simply by changing a namespace service record.

Ever watch red dawn? That power outage? Yea... its now possible without an emp. Lets talk military, YES they use DNS 'SEC' what is DNSSEC? at root of their namespace there is a root cryptokey. You can only query, and get an answer if you have the Decrypt key, otherwise you will be ignored. There has been quite a fight for who controls this root cryptokey and well our military is fucked if we have to hand it over as well. While we have many closed systems we also have open systems that can do quite a bit of harm up to and including meltdowns in you neighborhood. Have fun with that Obama.

There is a lot too this and I moved us from the kiddie pool to the neck deep wading area. I hope you guys caught what I am trying to explain. It sucks, in a big way and yes at one time we intended to give control away. I believed we had changed our minds. For the same reason I decided to not be an astronaut, it was not a very good idea.
    Last edited by Silverback; 03-16-2014 at 08:03 PM.
    Mish likes this.

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”
    ― Winston Churchill

Ok, can I ask why you would think the US would give away something so important? There is a reason for everything!! Or since this is in the press, is it really not going down the way they are presenting it?!! Remember, we hear the news they want us to hear. =) lol
    Last edited by Mish; 03-16-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." Tyler Durden

Dave Harken: Life is a marathon and you cannot win a marathon without putting a few bandaids on your nipples!

Quote Originally Posted by Mish View Post
    Ok, can I ask why you would think the US would give away something so important? There is a reason for everything!!
    I would love a good answer to this Mish. I do not have one. To the other statement that there is a reason for anything..... It's either Stupidity or worse. I talked to a higher level tech where I work when rebroome brought this up to me. I was in shock that he did not understand fully how ICANN worked and DNS vs DNSSEC... I think I need to replace him lol. It made me realize that there is a very small percentage of people that actually have the foundation to understand. probably in the area of .5% of the populace get it. I would hope this is a case where Obama's advisors are not in that .5% and he made a bad call on the advise of an idiot, or that he is an idiot or worse, he does want to destroy us as others have stated. You tell me.
    Last edited by Silverback; 03-16-2014 at 08:32 PM.
    Mish likes this.

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”
    ― Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Notsoyoung View Post
    Obama has decided to give away control of the internet to an international organization. The U.S. came up with the concept and developed the internet. Now Obama wants to give control of it away. How about at LEAST sell it and try to recover some of the money we spent on developing it. Ultimately the U.N. will now control it. This clown is a disaster.

U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet - The Washington Post
    Think of anything you could possibly do that would screw this country and big O is going to do it.

The point is big "O" isn't in charge of this, how could he possible screw things up this bad and still take monthly vacations and play golf that many times.

I think there is a ROBOPRESIDENT in charge, I call him the Federal Reserve.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

I think you give Obama way too much credit! He is a pawn in a much bigger plan.

Dave Harken: Life is a marathon and you cannot win a marathon without putting a few bandaids on your nipples!

I think my patriotism and love of this country makes me hope that I am wrong

― Winston Churchill

You know what, I just realized... Did we just convert Mish, alittle?

― Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
    You know what, I just realized... Did we just convert Mish, alittle?
    Haha You guys all assume that I'm liberal. I just like presenting two sides to a story. This forum always has the conservative view so I tend to fight the liberal battle. I go both ways! It all depends on the topic. I don't actually believe that either party has our interest at heart.
    Silverback and retired guard like this.

I'll take that as a yes.
    Mish likes this.

― Winston Churchill

Bahahaha...I'm still cute...LOL

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Ads