What's your go to handgun and why?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What's your go to handgun and why? within the Pistols and Revolvers forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Just curious what everyone's go to handgun is and why. To qualify this, it's the one handgun that you own that you would use for ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: What's your go to handgun and why?

Just curious what everyone's go to handgun is and why. To qualify this, it's the one handgun that you own that you would use for home defense, concealed/open carry/ SHTF, etc basically the one handgun you would keep if all your others had to go, keep it to guns you own please.
    My choice, after careful consideration, would be my FNH FNX-9. Why? Many reasons. Let's go through them.
    Fire Power: Capacity: 17+1 (52 total rounds carrying 2 extra magazines) that's a good amount of ammo.
    Weight (fully loaded): 32.5 oz - with 18 rounds of 124gr. JHPs - light enough to carry all day
    Size: Essentially the same length as the ever so popular G19 with a slightly taller grip , allowing greater capacity with std magazines. I carry this gun while wearing cargo shorts and a loose tee shirt and have no problems concealing it.
    Fully ambidextrous controls: Allows both me (left handed) or my wife (right handed) to use the gun with out making any adjustments to how we would normally use a handgun. Important if I'm injured and she needs to run this gun.
    Hammer fired DA/SA: Has second strike capability, unlike striker fired guns. I usually carry it hammer down safety off , but I can also carry cocked and locked. The trigger pull is smooth, crisp and light in SA and DA only adds a little pull weight, it is every bit as smooth and crisp.
    Caliber: 9x19mm proven round, plentiful, fairly cheap to shoot, my wife is most comfortable shooting 9mm. She can handle larger rounds, but prefers 9mm.
    Sights: The OEM Trijicon night sights are awesome they are fast and clear. The front sight has a white ring around the tritium vial and the rears do not. in low light situations the front sight seems brighter.
    Ergonomics: extremely comfortable in hand, point, very naturally and all controls are easy to reach and manipulate with small or large hands.
    Reliability: this gun has been 100% reliable with all 115gr - 147gr. factory and reloaded ammo, in both FMJ and JHP.

So yeah, it's my go to handgun, for these reasons. So what's yours and why?
    What's your go to handgun and why?-img_0810.jpgWhat's your go to handgun and why?-img_0809.jpgWhat's your go to handgun and why?-img_0800.jpg
    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical."
    Th. Jefferson

I don't own all that many handguns, so if I'm limited to those I currently own it'll be my Stainless Ruger GP 100 4 inch snubby in 357. The only drawback is that it's, by FAR, the loudest handgun I've ever fired.
    Hidden Content In honor of the fallen, strive each day to live a life worthy of their sacrifice.

My built Gov. Model in .45 acp. It IS my strong right hand in times of trouble. Almost like a skin graft after all these years.
    Charles Martel likes this.
    Check out the United Christian Off-Road Alliance -- Hidden Content

I'm not a big handgun guy. When I think "go to", I usually think in terms of rifles or shotguns. If, however, I was bugging out and had to leave all but one of my pistols behind, I'd reach for my Glock 20 (10mm auto). It has a remarkable combination of power, reliability, serviceability, accuracy, and magazine capacity. My hot loads will punch through most soft body armor, and it has enough nasty in it to serve as protection from even the largest black bears and mountain lions. I've never done it, but, I've heard of guys taking whitetail sized game with 10mm. There aren't very many normal sized 15+1 capacity pistols with the power to reliably take wild game.

For me, the only drawbacks to the Glock 20 are ammo availability and size (it's not a small gun). Some people might have a hard time with the recoil, but, I'm 6'4" 230. It's never been a problem for me.
    Chipper likes this.

Banned

My walther Clone (eagle Arms) ppk in 380. It's always with me

My Beretta 92FS.

Why? - It just works, always.
    Seneca and redhawk like this.

Taurus 24/7 OSS in .45ACP
    I like it's feel.
    Just Sayin' likes this.
    Hidden Content YAH, YOUR JOB IS DONE ALRIGHT!

Colt 1911 Government .45 ACP. I carry plastic in my wallet not my holster.

My EDC is a Ruger SR9C. But if I could only grab one for Shtf~ my SR1911.

Glock 20 10mm. Because of round count and ballistics. Most firepower I can easily carry. 16 rounds of my custom reloads, 200 grain XTP's. I don't want to have to reload my 45 if I need more then 7.
    Charles Martel likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links