Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bullet Proof Vests lightness/cost

This is a discussion on Bullet Proof Vests lightness/cost within the Personal Protection, Gear, Mods, Accessories forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I was watching a show last night and the police had these little thin vests on and I'm assuming they were bullet proof vests. For ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bullet Proof Vests lightness/cost

Bullet Proof Vests lightness/cost

I was watching a show last night and the police had these little thin vests on and I'm assuming they were bullet proof vests. For such a size, I would think they would weigh no more than a pound or two. I'm sure these are expensive, but in a shtf world it would be worth it. Anyone have any experience with bullet proof vests and know what something like that would cost? I see them all the time on ebay, but wanted to do my research first.

Re: Bullet Proof Vests lightness/cost

I am interested in buying a vest myself. And Ebay is tricky with their words. U have to pay attention and see if it says for real bullets or paintball. I remember setting this cool item a while back.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/dads/e769/

A bullet proof clipboard. Buy two and wear one on each side. Front and back.

What I know about bullet proof vest is this, the one you saw I believe is called soft armor, and if I am right is suppose to stop the bullet but the impact is full force. Which will screw your chest up, the regualr style vest in the carrier can hold an optional trauma plate for the sternum area. The last thing is when buying vest if you get a good deal its probably because the vest is "out dated" which I think is usually 5 years because the kevlar threads start to weaken or something like that ( I have my own thoughts on that) I have a second chance vest bought it new over 10yrs ago and feel its better than nothing. Also I saw a video of a ten year or older vest shot and it still stopped the bullet. Any way thats just my pennys worth

At least an old unused vest is better than no vest.

i will be looking to buy some of these as soon as funds permit. Does anyone know of a trustworthy seller on e-bay?
    "I don't know what weapons will be used in World War Three, but in World War Four they will use sticks and stones."
    Albert Einstein
    SURVIVAL FOODS

Quote Originally Posted by RalphS View Post
    I was watching a show last night and the police had these little thin vests on and I'm assuming they were bullet proof vests. For such a size, I would think they would weigh no more than a pound or two. I'm sure these are expensive, but in a shtf world it would be worth it. Anyone have any experience with bullet proof vests and know what something like that would cost? I see them all the time on ebay, but wanted to do my research first.

Russia is developing a new multipurpose bulletproof vest whose price near about $1000...,,

I've got soft and heavy armor. Kevlar pads you can wear under clothes, stop shrapnel and 9 mm. I got plates and the plate carrier for them, theyll stop 7.62(AK47) as well as blades and blunt trauma. I got Kevlar helmets too. Message me if you wanna buy em.

I'm no expert, but is there really such a thing as a totally bullet-proof vest?
    I don't think there is is there, because Brit/US troops in Afgh wear them and still get shot don't they?

Another thing:- do we need to buy vests at all, can't we make one ourselves by getting hold of a few thick steel plates and sewing them into an old jacket or something?
    Or even simpler, how about drilling a couple of holes in a steel plate and hanging it round our neck, buttoning it under our jacket to protect us from chin to groin?

Super Moderator
    See here's my two cents. I own an old flak jacket and was looking into a newer vest style. But frankly I watched it in three different sittings where guys took brand new military issue body armor and helmets and shot holes right through them with an AK. Nothing, I repeat nothing is effective past smaller handgun rounds. That dragon skin stuff? Once it actually gets hit it's compromised, and for like 40 grand a vest I don't see me having one anytime soon. Trauma plates only cover a very small area and aren't made of magic. The manufacturers blatantly lie on much of their ads.
    Always remember- there's a wealth around you

The Good Cop
    Leon, if you've got a Vietnam era flak jacket, those are designed to offer some protction against small fragments only. Like hand grenade fragments, small mortar fragments, etc. They WILL NOT give protection against bullets.
    Jim, mild steel will not stop rifle bullets. I've got a piece of 3/16" thick mild steel plate that I put a 30-30 round thru @ 100 yards. The jacket was left bonded to the edge of the hole, the innards kept right on going.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division
    "For Obama so loved the poor he created millions of them."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads