Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Guinea pigs as livestock

This is a discussion on Guinea pigs as livestock within the Livestock forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Try this- in s. america they regularly raise "cuy"= guinea pigs. They are easily kept, easily fed and best of all they propagate quickly and ...

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Guinea pigs as livestock

Super Moderator

Guinea pigs as livestock

Try this- in s. america they regularly raise "cuy"= guinea pigs. They are easily kept, easily fed and best of all they propagate quickly and taste excellent. Their flavor is very much like pork, they actually contain fat unlike rabbits and their guts make good fish bait.

You will see kitchens in south America in Peru and Ecuador that have a traditional cuy hutch on the side. they'll just reach in every once and awhile to eat a couple when the mood takes them. Served best with avocado and potatoes and fire roasted until crispy. The hair does come off easily with a 30 second dunk in boiling water, the skin is a must keep for flavor. Our cuy operation is really starting to take off with more than three healthy litters since spring. I got them all as give away pets people's children didn;t want. you should take females more than 6-7 months old. Here's a look at ours

http://www.youtube.com/user/HankRFpo.../0/eO93JzZfMS8

Here is a hydroponically-fed operation from peru that really kicks ass, this could feed a small village easily.

BamaBoy101 likes this.
    Always remember- there's a wealth around you

Super Moderator

Re: Guinea pigs as livestock

Noooooooooooo, i will die in SHTF if I have to live off of G pigs. I worked at a Pet store and they are sooo cute! Plus pretty fun to play with, bunnies however....nom nom...
    Any reason is the perfect reason to prepare.

I has a youtube! Check me out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidlittle

Super Moderator

I guess better that than roasting a baby on a spit like the road lul

Really though, those are just chickens in south america. It's a nearly perfect food item for small isolated places off grid. The incas originally bred them- interestingly enough they have no natural instincts and don't exist in nature. They came from a larger mammal called an agouti

Administrator

I've seen Andrew Zimmerman eat these and I considered that I would actually eat anything to keep me alive in a post shtf world. Actually, if one is grown up eating these, or anything else, the thought would never cross my mind. Belive it or not, it wasn't until my late 20's that I actually associated a hamburger and a cow coming from them same place. LOL!

Going to check out your vid now!
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -Benjamin Franklin
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace". -George Washington
    "I most be getting to rightwing for the rightwingers, or too radical for the radicals
    ." -Fuzzee
    "one reason we prep is to be available when necessary to rebuild society here in America. Perhaps a less effluent society at first, but a civilized society." -rob

Super Moderator

They're delicious. Sometimes the American ones don't have too much meat past the legs but that's ok. They breed fast. They really are good though, they call them guinea pigs for a reason. They also call them pig rabbits, which is my favorite description. As pets though they piss on you and bite and poop. Most every one I ever petted in my lap pissed on me.

Administrator

I have actually considered this now since I have read this thread. Its "Taboo" right now for everyone though. If in doubt, a good survival training on eating stuff is to watch Andrew Zimmerman going to different places and eating weird stuff. Its a mental training. I think that man from "man/woman wild" said that many people found dead that were lost (like in the woods) had plenty of water next to them, were dry, had shelter, weapons etc.... the thing that killed them was overcoming the fact of eating something they never ate before.
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -Benjamin Franklin
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace". -George Washington
    "I most be getting to rightwing for the rightwingers, or too radical for the radicals
    ." -Fuzzee
    "one reason we prep is to be available when necessary to rebuild society here in America. Perhaps a less effluent society at first, but a civilized society." -rob

Super Moderator

Exactly. Man, I have two cats and I am adamantly opposed to cruelty on animals. But cavis were bred to feed us and I have no qualms about raising them with care and kindness. The meat tastes better that way. Hank loves his chickens, they are beautiful funny birds, but can you imagine life without scrambled eggs or chicken sandwiches? As any survivalist knows, it's you or them. I myself would prefer the comfort of reaching into a cuy pen for my dinner rather than shooting some punk with a few cans of food in his pack. It's definitely something to think about. You can start a ranch in an apartment for god sakes, this could be the solution to world hunger- they eat table scraps and weeds for god sakes! I feed them vegetable trimmings and slop from my dinner plate. You can't feed them meat or onion-like plants but otherwise they pig out happily on anything green you give them. Most Andean cultures still raise cuy as a food source and income generator. The trend is growing in fact- you can buy canned cuy meat on the internet now. That aforementioned link above details Andean-style cuy operations that use little more than sunlight, seed, cuys and some dividers made of clay. They are way ahead of us in thinking as far as I can tell. My mom's friend asked me "How could you kill a guinea pig?!" and I went "You grab the head and twist."

It's just another poultry item guys- like chicken, or quail or rabbits. Sure, they are cute but hunger isn't. The idea that they were bred long before modern chickens fascinates me, and the results of our experiments with raising them as a food source have been astounding. They take very little water, eat anything green and can be kept in a very small space. They will live on stale bread, rotten lettuce heads, weeds pulled from the lawn and garden, roadside grasses or anything else nontoxic you might find. Mine love monkey grass, which is hard to control. Build them a floorless cage and you have an immediate weed killer, just move them around during the course of the day. I call it my living lawnmower.
    shotlady likes this.

Super Moderator

I've been told numerous times, the trick is don't play with your food. Simple as that, if you bring them into your home and treat them like a pet, then that's what they will be and it will be harder then hell to eat them, therefore have them in an outbuilding (climate controlled to an extent) where all you do is go and feed them and clean their quarters, treat them like livestock and it's a lot easier to eat. My grandparents had chickens and they told us not to play with them because they were going to be dinner sometime, I think my grandma had the habit of naming her animals and then putting up a fuss when it was time to off em.....

What is the gestation period of G.pigs? I used to work at Petco but never remembered the times on the small animals (more of a reptile/aquatics guy).
    Any reason is the perfect reason to prepare.

I has a youtube! Check me out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acidlittle

I would totally eat a guinea pig if I had to. As a matter of fact, if it wouldn't piss my 7 year old daughter off to the point where she'd hate me for the rest of her life, I'd eat that whistlin' little bastard sittin' in that cage over there right now.
    Leon, Denton and 5Runner like this.
    Hear No Evil, See No Evil and Fuck You

I am completely disgusted and totally intrigued.
    I will fight until my last breath. I will bleed every drop.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads