Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Guinea pigs as livestock

This is a discussion on Guinea pigs as livestock within the Livestock forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; What kind of sick people are you folks up in ATL, to eat cute little critters like the G-pigs? My second wife haaaaad to have ...

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Guinea pigs as livestock

What kind of sick people are you folks up in ATL, to eat cute little critters like the G-pigs?

My second wife haaaaad to have stupid house animal. First ones were those idiotic little miniature hamsters. They weren't worth killin'. Second attempt was with the g-pigs. They were fantastic. Best little buddies I ever had. The pig (not the two g-pigs, but the now-ex) took them when she left. Come to think of it, she probably ate them.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    What kind of sick people are you folks up in ATL, to eat cute little critters like the G-pigs?

My second wife haaaaad to have stupid house animal. First ones were those idiotic little miniature hamsters. They weren't worth killin'. Second attempt was with the g-pigs. They were fantastic. Best little buddies I ever had. The pig (not the two g-pigs, but the now-ex) took them when she left. Come to think of it, she probably ate them.
    They are a staple food in most of the southern Americas. Damn tasty too. Easily raised and fast to grow and breed, they are the 'original' prepper food animal used by the Incas who lived in remote mountains where game was not present.
    Always remember- there's a wealth around you

I'd name them, play with them and then keep them.

On the other hand, happy Gpigs are healthy gpigs, and healthy gpigs are better eating gpigs!

OK. I'm sold.

So much for my soft heart and sentimentality.

Scratch that. Wife just shot the idea down in a huuuge ball of flames.

Super Moderator
    hahaha seriously though, if she knew how they tasted she wouldn't. It's like sweet pork and the skin gets all crispy, and it actually has fat in it unlike rabbit which would bypass the whole rabbit starvation thing. They also don't dig and they can eat all kinds of free stuff unlike rabbits. We enjoy all our animals in my group, we think the chickens are pretty birds and funny, and the rabbits we pet and treat nicely but it all boils down to feeding your family and friends. G pigs for example eat basically trash and table scraps (no meat of course) the stalks from our plants, the corn husks, monkey grass, weeds, wheat chaff, old produce, surplus okra all of that stuff is candy to them. Space required is very small, food yield is high and growing times are fast. The meat is also highly flavorful and good quality. In Peru, the menus are like "Chicken pork or Cuy" because they are so common there. Agouti and Capibara are relatives of the guinea pig.
    Denton likes this.
    Always remember- there's a wealth around you

I have two cavies...both boys. Well, my daughters got them.....but guess who takes care of them....yours truly. So they are mine now!
    I have grown to really love these little critters.
    They are such cool little animals, very smart and they have great personalities. Those pictures grossed me out.
    Last edited by Fumbles; 01-07-2013 at 02:28 AM.
    Denton likes this.

i have to admit much as i enjoy them they are still animals and a food source to me and i'm rather antsy to cook one up.
    call me crazy but as i type this i am laying in bed (it being 5 AM and all hahaha) typing this on my laptop and petting my longhair sow who is due i'm thinkin early february and i keep feelin her belly and the lil bab(ies). my animals all get treated good as pets but fact is i eat meat, they are meat a'la hoof/paw/claw/fin whatever and in the end they all die anyways. least i know i raise em to have good lives and dont let em suffer in the end.
    i'm really tryna make it more then what it is. cause everybody dies, but not everybody lives. ~unknown

question most frequently asked me: "are you amish? do you want to be amish?"
    no i'm not amish...

So are these things white meat?

Hate to be picky but, I really, really hate dark meat. Like on turkey or lamb.

If I had water here should raise bull frogs! Mmm......... frog legs
    Denton likes this.

When SHTF , cloven hooved and cud chewing might not apply
    Denton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaHull View Post
    When SHTF , cloven hooved and cud chewing might not apply

i couldnt agree more. much as i love my goats and rabbits, i think in a SHTF situation if i had to grab a group of critters, it'd likely be the GPs. just easiest to feed and house. they make noise but not much as cows or goats, etc.
    plus how many people could take care of their herds of cows these days if they had to move out in a SHTF situation? the herds, most of em just stay in the same feild or couple feilds. the herd isnt used to being moved and prodded, let alone very far at all. and what are the people gonna do when they move far enough without the fences they left behind? not many people gonna want to turn into village type cattle herders.
    i'm really tryna make it more then what it is. cause everybody dies, but not everybody lives. ~unknown

question most frequently asked me: "are you amish? do you want to be amish?"
    no i'm not amish...

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Ads