Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Guinea pigs as livestock

This is a discussion on Guinea pigs as livestock within the Livestock forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Originally Posted by MountainMan I am completely disgusted and totally intrigued. Tastes just like roast pork shoulder...

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Guinea pigs as livestock

Super Moderator

Re: Guinea pigs as livestock

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan
    I am completely disgusted and totally intrigued.
    Tastes just like roast pork shoulder
    Always remember- there's a wealth around you

Re: Guinea pigs as livestock

I love pork. Can we get a video from Fresh meat to on the plate? I'm not experienced with cleaning guineas lol. I'm trying to get the wife to try it but I need to perfect it first.
    I will fight until my last breath. I will bleed every drop.

thanks for showin me this forum leon! now i can show ya what i'm starting with though i'm wayyyy behind your setup...

pics: guinea pigs Photos by ohiogoatgirl | Photobucket
    sorry me and photobucket get into fights so doing an album link is easiest.

leon, what are weights on your lilpigs? if you know.
    right now i have four at 1lb 4oz (one of those possibly bred), one at 1lb 10oz (possibly bred), one at 2lb 4oz (my big boar).
    if yours are bigger i wonder if there would be a way to transport some? if there is i would love to get some from you.

so far i paid $20 for 2, traded a rabbit for 2 more, 2 for free.
    soon to be getting 3sows in trade for 2 of my rabbits and someone giving me 2 weaned young for free.
    i'm really tryna make it more then what it is. cause everybody dies, but not everybody lives. ~unknown

question most frequently asked me: "are you amish? do you want to be amish?"
    no i'm not amish...

Super Moderator
    Our boars are around 5lb each, the males we keep as the sires are the biggest so we're breeding them with the bigger females and sure enough they are getting bigger with each generation. The younger ones haven't filled out yet but they grow fast. I don't know about shipping and all that but I would think it's possible as long as they had food and were shipped the right way where they wouldn't freeze in an airplane. We are hoping to have males and females topping 6-7 pounds eventually, probably some time next year after the summer passes. The ones that are most popular in S America right now are the big ones, they can reach 20lb.

TWENTY POUNDS?!?!?!? x.x
    i've heard tops of 8lbs but not 20....wow...

btw some more links and things i've compiled...
    i had never really thought much about guinea pigs until a few months ago. but i now have my beginning herd of lil pigs for meat animals. let me start this topic by posting links to info i have found on the topic already. next i will go on about what i am doing myself.

guinea pigs as meat thread from another forum Guinea pigs as meat

guinea pigs as meat thread from *another* forum Raising Guinea Pigs for Meat « The Real Know How

paragraph and short video on queensland couple who raise em for meat Raising Guinea Pigs for Meat « The Real Know How

article on couple from previous links video and their gpigs as meat Guinea pig and pigeon; the other 'other white meat' - ABC Sunshine & Cooloola Coasts Qld - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

"guinea pigs for meat production" published 1991 http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.echocom...GuineaPigs.pdf

"guinea pig management manual" nov 2003 http://www.bensoninstitute.org/Publi.../guineapig.pdf

about guinea pig diet needs Guinea Pigs: All About Them - DIET

high vitiman c foods list (because they cannot make their own vit c) Guinea Pigs - Cutiecavies Guinea Pig Forum - Login

great nutrition chart even though its from a gpig pet "nutters" site (beware if you look around for the *breeding is evil* theme) Guinea Lynx :: Nutrition Charts

article on cuy introduced in california in a petco and sold as regular gpigs (i will explain the difference of what i mean) California's Giant Guinea Pigs and the Cuys Criollos Mejorados - Guinea Pig Today

guinea pigs versus cuy

guinea pigs is what most people would call them. though originally in south america where they were domesticated and are still raised for meat they are called cuy or cui cui. sounds like koo-ee, like the noises the animals make.

the guinea pigs you find in pet stores and kids pets today are descendants from some cuy that were found and brought to be showed around and for super rich people as pets.
    Guinea pig - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "The common guinea pig was first domesticated as early as 5000 BC for food by tribes in the Andean region of South America (present-day the southern part of Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia),[8] some thousands of years after the domestication of the South American camelids.[9] Statues dating from ca. 500 BC to 500 AD that depict guinea pigs have been unearthed in archaeological digs in Peru and Ecuador.[10] The Moche people of ancient Peru worshipped animals and often depicted the guinea pig in their art.[11] From ca. 1200 AD to the Spanish conquest in 1532, selective breeding resulted in many varieties of domestic guinea pigs, which form the basis for some of the modern domestic breeds.[12] They continue to be a food source in the region; many households in the Andean highlands raise the animal, which subsists off the family's vegetable scraps.[13] Folklore traditions involving guinea pigs are numerous; they are exchanged as gifts, used in customary social and religious ceremonies, and frequently referenced in spoken metaphors.[14] They also play a role in traditional healing rituals by folk doctors, or curanderos, who use the animals to diagnose diseases such as jaundice, rheumatism, arthritis, and typhus.[15] They are rubbed against the bodies of the sick, and are seen as a supernatural medium.[16] Black guinea pigs are considered especially useful for diagnoses.[17] The animal also may be cut open and its entrails examined to determine whether the cure was effective.[18] These methods are widely accepted in many parts of the Andes, where Western medicine is either unavailable or distrusted.[19]

Spanish, Dutch, and English traders brought guinea pigs to Europe, where they quickly became popular as exotic pets among the upper classes and royalty, including Queen Elizabeth I.[8] The earliest known written account of the guinea pig dates from 1547, in a description of the animal from Santo Domingo; because cavies are not native to Hispaniola, it was earlier believed that the animal was likely introduced there by Spanish travelers.[1] However, based on more recent excavations on West Indian islands, it has become known that the animal must have been introduced by ceramic-making horticulturalists from South America to the Caribbean around 2500 BP,[20] and it was present in the Ostionoid period, for example, on Puerto Rico,[21] long before the advent of the Spaniards. The guinea pig was first described in the West in 1554 by the Swiss naturalist Conrad Gessner.[22] Its binomial scientific name was first used by Erxleben in 1777; it is an amalgam of Pallas' generic designation (1766) and Linnaeus' specific conferral (175.[1]"

cuy are the light colored (i read that it is believed traditionally that the eating the dark ones is not good?? no idea on reasoning though. seem most all are white with orange/red/peach color.) and big bodied relatives. pet shop guinea pigs adult weight is 1-2lb with a few reachin up to 3lb though fairly rare. well with cuy they are meat animals and are bred as such, for size not color or hair style. so cuy adults are average 4lb though i'm reading up to 8lbs.

another difference in them being that guinea pigs usually live 5 to 7 years. the oldest i think i read was 13 years old, dont quote me on that one though... whereas cuy it seems live 2 to 2.5 years. but another thing to remember is that in cuy farms it goes that you should replace breeders after one year of breeding (start breeding at 4months+12 months=16 months) or after 6 litters.

cuy also i read tend to have ptylydactyly (spelling could be way off but bear with me here) which is having too many toes. meaning normally they have 4 toes on front feet and 3 toes on back feet, and with ptylydactyly they have more toes then that.
    link with ptylydactyly info and pics Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Feet and Foot Problems

...here is a hypothetical breeding scenario. this is before i messaged you leon and was looking into cuy brought in from south america. i find very few guinea pigs around here and my 2lb boar is the largest i've come across. so i thought for meaty pigs bringing in the larger lines would be extremely needed for any kind of upbreeding size within a few years.
    in this scenario i am going with 1 cuy sow and 3 pet type boars. this widens the genetic
    pool of initial litters and would mean less likely to run into any inbred issues
    from the breeding of high percentage litters later on. so this is more
    sustainable long term.

this hypothetical plan is also just the breeding of the cuy sow over about a 2
    year period. since cuy seem to live only about 2.5yrs, this plan would be last
    litter at about the 2.5 yr old mark. so she would have 10 litters.

starting at 1/1/2013 and all initial animals (cuy sow, 3 pet type boars) are
    breeding age and putting the next boar for breeding in with the sow a little
    while before she births. taking advantage of the heat she will come into after
    birthing. just about guaranteeing a next breeding. so the next breeding date is
    the due date of the last litter. this is based from a 68 day gestation
    (Guinea Pig Pregnancy Calendar - Gestation Calculator - Guinea Pig Due Date Calculator | GestationCalculator.com)
    yes this would be back to back breeding. but b2b breeding is the way cuy are
    bred to handle so should be able to handle it with good feeding.
    *(75+%) = more then 75% cuy, sorry i'm bad with math.
    (DNC) = dang near cuy. very scientific, i know

1/1/2013
    pet type boar A x cuy sow = 1 (50%)boar A, 2 (50%)sows A
    3/10/13
    pet type boar B x cuy sow = 1 (50%)boar B, 2 (50%)sows B
    5/17/13
    pet type boar C x cuy sow = 1 (50%)boar C, 2 (50%)sows C
    7/24/13
    (50%)boar A x cuy sow = 1 (75+%)boar A1, 2 (75+%)sows A1
    9/30/13
    (50%)boar B x cuy sow = 1 (75+%)boar B1, 2 (75+%)sows B1
    12/7/13
    (50%)boar C x cuy sow = 1 (75+%)boar C1, 2 (75+%)sows C1
    2/13/14
    best 50% boar x cuy sow = keep sows
    4/22/14
    (75+%)boar A1 x cuy sow = 1 (DNC)boarA1A, 2 (DNC)sowsA1A
    6/29/14
    (75+%)boar B1 x cuy sow = 1 (DNC)boarB1B, 2 (DNC)sowsB1B
    9/5/14
    (75+%)boar C1 x cuy sow = 1 (DNC)boarC1C, 2 (DNC)sowsC1C
    11/12/14

there is alot of variables here though. firstly you might get litter of all sows
    or all boars. you might lose a litter. you might lose your keeper percentage
    boar. the cuy sow might not be bred back right after breeding. the cuy sow might
    die earlier.
    tons of variables. i just made this out with the *best* variables i could think
    of for showing example of what i think would be best laid plans for a high
    percentage herd.

from this outline of sorts there is a foundation for an extremely large herd
    with what i think would be good genetic pool.
    the 2 (50%)sowsA could be bred to the 50% boars B and C. then later to the 75+%
    boars B and C. and so on.

if anything doesnt make sense just ask!
    i'm really tryna make it more then what it is. cause everybody dies, but not everybody lives. ~unknown

no i'm not amish...

edit: oops double posted

no i'm not amish...

Super Moderator
    That's is some great info! with what we have just on this thread it's enough for anyone to get started.

leon have you guys eaten any yet?

i'm posting about guinea pigs as meat animals on several forums and most responses i get are what do they taste like and how to cook them.

i've not been able to find much on what it tastes like. one person said it was good but had an odd aftertaste that was sort of unpleasant and stayed in his mouth. another person said guinea pig is much like rabbit only it has a sweeter taste.
    though i am beginning to search for recipes. i think most recipes will be from peru and south america how they eat them. i think for more "modern" and varied recipes it is something that will have to be tested with time. i think an initial animal being cooked will be needed to see how it tastes then testing it in recipes.
    here are recipes i've found so far...

A typical recipe for baked or barbequed cuy with a hot sauce:
    • 3 or 4 cuys
    • 50 grams of ground toasted corn, or cornmeal
    • 2 kilos of parboiled potatoes, cut in slices
    • 8 cloves of garlic
    • 6 fresh hot peppers, either red or yellow
    • ½ cup oil
    • ½ cup water
    • salt, pepper and cumin to taste
    Rub the cuys with a mix of the pepper, salt, pepper and cumin and bake. You can also skewer over a barbeque.

Prepare a sauce with the oil, peppers, garlic and cornmeal with the water from the potatoes or broth. Cook a few minutes until the peppers are cooked. When tender, place the meat in a serving dish and spoon the sauce over it. Serve with the boiled potatoes.

4 cuys
    • 1 teaspoon hot pepper
    • 1 tablespoon pisco
    • garlic to taste
    • 6 fresh hot peppers, either red or yellow
    • 1/4 cup oil
    • salt, pepper to taste Season the cleaned cuys with salt, pepper, hot pepper and pisco. Fry in oil five minutes or until cooked.
    Serve with a hot pepper sauce, potatoes, either fried or boiled and a salad of cucumber, tomato, lettuce and onion.

2 lrg animals
    2 x red onions, minced
    4 x cloves of garlic, minced
    2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp white pepper
    2 tsp of salt
    2 Tbsp. water
    2 Tbsp. oil
    annatto (for coloring)
    2 Tbsp. lard
    annatto coloring
    2 x white onions, minced
    2 x cloves garlic
    salt
    healthy pinch of cumin
    1 lrg c. of roasted and grnd coffee with peanuts
    3 1/2 c. lowfat milk
    Directions
    Mix ingredients well and spread over the inside and outside of the animal. Allow to marinate for up to one day to allow flavors to meld. Before roasting, remove excess marinade to avoid scalding. The spit should be inserted into the back part of the animal and exit from the jaw. Once on the stick, tie the front and back feet, stretching out the legs. Put on grill, turning manually. Continue to apply lard to the skin to avoid drying out the meat. The cuy is ready when the skin is close to bursting. Serve with boiled potatoes sprinkled with coriander, chilies, and the following peanut sauce. If your community is especially progressive, rice may be substituted for the potatoes.
    Peanut Dipping Sauce:Fry onions till golden, then add in other ingredients. Cook at low heat for at least half an hour.

*Cuy Picante Huanuqueño Style*

*Ingredients: *

*- **2 large guinea pigs*

*- **1 tablespoon crushed garlic*

*- **1½ teaspoon salt *

*- **1½ pepper*

*- **1½ teaspoon cumin powder*

*- **2 tablespoons aji panca (a Peruvian deep-clay red chile, liquefied in a blender)*

*- **2 tablespoons aji mirasol (a Peruvian dark yellow chile, liquefied in a blender)*

*- ** 1 cup cooking oil or margarine *

*- **10 scallions *

*- **The guinea pigs’ hearts, livers (and in an authentic version, also the intestines, thoroughly cleaned) *

*- **1 tablespoon of crushed peanuts*

*- **8 yellow potatoes boiled and skinned*

*Preparation: *

*Cut and quarter the guinea pigs, salt and pepper, then fry until golden brown. Put aside in a warm dish. In a heavy skillet, lightly greased with a few splashes of oil, combine the garlic, aji panca and aji mirasol over high heat. Mixing and scraping the ingredients from the bottom of the pan to keep it from sticking; continue until the mixture is thoroughly cooked to a golden brown. Chop the scallions, separating the white bulbs from the green stalks. Add the finely chopped scallion bulbs to the pan with the cumin. In a separate pan, combine the hearts, livers and peanuts and cook until thoroughly done, then place in a food processor or blender to liquefy. Add and mix with aji-garlic mixture in heavy skillet. Add guinea pig pieces, cooking for 10 to 15 minutes. Let stand for at least 15 minutes. Serve over sliced boiled potatoes sliced.
    Serves four.*

"Picante de cuy" - Guinea Pig with spices
    The whole guinea pig is marinated overnight in spices, including cumin, black pepper, paprika and dried red chillies.
    Red and yellow peppers are also liquidised and added to the marinade just before cooking.
    After marinating, the meat is barbecued and served whole, but split in two like a fillet.

"Cuyes en salsa de mani" - Guinea pigs with peanut sauce
    The guinea pig is seasoned whole with salt and pepper and then slowly deep fried in vegetable oil.
    It is then served with a creamy peanut sauce and traditionally accompanied by white rice, fried yuccas and boiled sweet potatoes.

Fried Guinea Pig (Ayacucho-style)CUY CHAQTADO
    1 guinea pig, de-haired, gutted, and cleaned
    1/2 c. flour
    1/4 - 1/2 t. ground cuminsalt and black pepper to taste
    1/2 c. oil
    Pat dry the skin of the guinea pig and rub in the cumin, salt, and pepper. Preheat oil. Dust the carcass with the flour and place it on its back in the oil, turning to cook both sides. Alternately, the guinea pig can be cut and fried in quarters.Serve with boiled potato or boiled manioc root, and a salad of cut tomatoes and slivered onions bathed in lime juice and a bit of salt.

list of peruvian dishes..... List of Peruvian dishes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

no i'm not amish...

Super Moderator
    Havent eaten any yet but I been begging Hank to. I think I'll wait until it warms up outside and we have a few more good eaters in the hutch and I am DEFINITELY gonna eat one, gonna take the fur off and fire roast it indirectly over hickory or alder for 90 minutes or so. I'm gonna do the andean thing and season with lime, coarse salt and garlic.

i have started a facebook group about raising GPs as meat. about a handful of people on it now including myself. one other person is in PA and keeps hers outside all year under her rabbit cages.
    i have it set to secret to keep out the nutty pet people. but if anyone would like to join PM me so we can become facebook friends and i can add you (:

no i'm not amish...

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Ads