Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What is the best blade to carry when SHTF

This is a discussion on What is the best blade to carry when SHTF within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Best knife for SHTF is any you have on hand. Especially a sharp one....

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: What is the best blade to carry when SHTF

Best knife for SHTF is any you have on hand. Especially a sharp one.

i posted about cold steel machetes. Hell, for your $30 limit, you can have 2 cold steel machetes!
    Freedom Fighter
    Guns kill people like pencils make mistakes.

I have done bush craft for years, the stuff you see in dual survival and Survivor Man. You need a field knife that is practical like a BK2, tom brown tracker or a Gerber LMF2, entire knife not much bigger than 10-12", after you have this go for the Rambo if you wish.

What you should carry all the time every day is a nice folding knife with a pocket clip on it, able to conceal it in your pocket with easy access approx 5" closed, you will use it more than you know and not just for cutting open the Beef jerky package.
    oswegoscott and hardcore like this.

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    I like Vulf find a what's best is what's practical. If you're going to limit yourself to one knife than it's what's most practical for what you're going to use it for most. No one knife is perfect for everything so you have to make concessions. In that I've found a good 4 to 6 inch fixed blade most practical. From cleaning game and fish, cutting vines and rope for shelter building, angle cuts for breaking larger branches for shelter building, batoning wood for fire, shaving wood for tinder, whittling wood hooks and notches for traps, larger knives and smaller knives make those most practical and common tasks harder.

That I keep with my pack, but everyday I carry a pocket knife with a 3 inch blade for day to day in the modern tasks and there if shtf. It's not the fixed with it's near 5 inch blade, but it's certainly better than nothing out in the modern world. For the bush to me, those big knives, machetes and axes are basically better than the 4 to 6 for chopping and not much else other than using for defense (whick is still technically chopping in part). There good to have and I've gone through different ones over the years and carry a machete on my BOB besides the other knives for those uses in the surrounding I'm in. If you're starting off and looking for the first than I recommend the 4 to 6 inch fixed. $30 and under is a tight budget for a knife of good quality. Good steel that holds and keeps an edge costs and Mora's are some of the best bang for the buck in that aspect and price range I can think of also. What they do have is a good blade, but what they do cut corners on is the handles and sheaths. If you want a good survival Mora that I suggest sticking with the polymer handles atleast as the wood with metal appendages degrade easier and the metal rusts. If you want and can afford more, there are lots of nice knives out there. It's just a question of which is right for you and what your going to use it for.

Morakniv Mora of Sweden Outdoor 2000 Utility Knife Fixed 4-1/4" Blade, Olive Green Textured Rubber Handle - KnifeCenter

What is the best blade to carry when SHTF-p1040475.jpg

Mine,

Last edited by Fuzzee; 02-17-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    Seneca and rickkyw1720pf like this.

Fuzzee,
    Is that a Benchmade Nimravus?
    I want one...lol

I keep Benchmades in my BOBs. If the SHTF, I will be carrying Blackhawk blades, and SOGs, because all three of these makes are my favorites.

Bayonet on the end of a M4 or a very good shot gun.
    If you can not defend it, then your just holding it for the next owner.
    When will DHS come for you. They have declared us the enemy

I am in the cheap camp, get a machete but get it at harbor freight on sale for five, thats right, 5 bucks. They say it is sharp but I guess sharp is relative. Sharp compared to a whiffle ball bat, yes.

I sharpened and polished mine and a few others to give as gifts. You cannot beat the price.
    before.

after

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is the best blade to carry when SHTF-2012-11-27_17-33-33_941-s.jpg  
    rickkyw1720pf and Renec like this.

Bayonet on the end of a M4 or a very good shot gun.
    Any good leatherman type would be my tool of choice
    Notsoyoung likes this.
    If you can not defend it, then your just holding it for the next owner.
    When will DHS come for you. They have declared us the enemy

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    Fuzzee,
    Is that a Benchmade Nimravus?
    I want one...lol
    Yep. An older one when they did the handle in G10. I wish they still did because I just don't like aluminum for a knife handle. It's an odd, cold grip to me with an anodized finish that will eventually wear. A little 550 wrap can help though.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Ads