Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Would you carry a sword or knife in SHTF scenario?

This is a discussion on Would you carry a sword or knife in SHTF scenario? within the Knives, Swords, Blades, Axes, Spears, Daggers, Machetes forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I can't think of any actual situation where I would carry a sword. If we're talking about a possible zombie outbreak, then sure...a sword might ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Would you carry a sword or knife in SHTF scenario?

I can't think of any actual situation where I would carry a sword. If we're talking about a possible zombie outbreak, then sure...a sword might be a possibility, although I still believe I'd prefer a baseball bat.

However, short of zombies, I believe the extra weight and space used to carry a sword would be better spent carrying either a handgun, more magazines/ammo, more water, etc. Sure, I'll have a decent sized knife, either my Kukri or CR Project I, and one or more smaller knives.

Tim

The thing everyone seems to ignore when they talk swords is that they are not made to be used in combat.... at least not the replica ninja or samurai swords everyone seems to have stuck in a closet somewhere. The tang is way too small... and will bend or break the first time you try to slice through a neck or large bone. On the other hand.... if you want a useable sword... you'll pay around $800 on the extreme low end... and upward of $2000 for hand folded steel. So... if you can afford that... then you should have a really nice gun and a butt-load of ammo and wouldn't actually need a sword. A good knife or two on the other hand... is a great idea.
    JDE101 and Blackcat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by insatiable ONE View Post
    I tried buying an authentic Kurki for my collection.
    They would not ship to the U.S. only Asia
    Might I suggest Himalayan Imports? They get their kuhkris from nepal and ship from Nevada.

I'm not much in to weaponry just yet. That being said.....it seems like most swords in America are the cheap, lightweight flimsy stuff usually created for collectors to have economical repro for wall hanging, or game/movie tie-ins. I wouldn't put much faith in the majority of available swords vs a good machete as mentioned above. A good military tactical knife, machete and maybe a good hatchet or two would be my choice.

Do you know how to actually wield a Katana in combat? The proper maintenance and care? How to do proper tsuka-maki?

I know this is my first post, and I'm not trying to be negative - but I often hear of people saying they would carry a sword (specifically: a Katana) with them in a shtf scenario. My first thought is: "You're going to die."

Most dachi you will get your hands on are not combat ready, and usually aren't for under a couple of thousand dollars starting. Combat technique with a Katana is not something you can instinctively learn, like you could with a European style broadsword. Hacking and slashing will not a kendo master make you. You'll more likely get it stuck, broken, damaged beyond usability, or hurt yourself. Plus you expose yourself to all sorts of blood splatter and therefore blood borne pathogens.

I -can- use a katana. I've got almost twenty years of martial arts and kendo training....and I wouldn't take a sword into a shtf scenario. Any of my firearms, or knives, would do me much better. Hell, a good ol louieville slugger would be a better problem solver.

A good large knife would probably serve you better and with more utility. Leave the swords for Hollywood.

That much said: If you do know how to use one and have a good quality one, go for it. There's probably worse ideas then wielding a relatively cumbersome bladed weapon in close quarters.
    Last edited by AK_Zero; 11-16-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    JDE101 and Blackcat like this.

Katana is a bit too long. If you were in a urban enviroment, hallways, or small room...you would be screwed. I always recommend a great survival knife. I use a ESEE-4, fantastic knife and will last forever. A machete would be a better substitute. Or perhaps a demolishing hammer like ... Would have more than one use besides bashing skulls.

Would you carry a sword or knife in SHTF scenario?-31v05xlof5l.jpg

I have carried a knife of one type or another since I was a kid back in the 50s. Back then, most boys carried a pocket knife all the time--even to school -- and nobody thought anything of it! Now, kids can't even take plastic silverware knives to school in their lunches! I always have at least one knife on me at all times (except in bed or the shower). I also carry a .45 or .38 with me everywhere it is legal to do so. Personally, in a SHTF situation I don't intend to let anyone within sword or knife range! So I sure don't intend to carry a sword.

I would rather have a quality machete than a sword. even a quality hand made shinken has its limitations. most people cannot properly care for such a weapon much less be able to wield it effectively.

I laugh at people that talk about hacking through hordes of zombies with a cheesy katana they bought online or at the mall for 50 bucks. most people don't realize what it takes and that Iaido is an old west gunfight at high noon and a chess match at the same time. they need to visualize their strikes before they draw and have the skill to deliver them.

I read what they people are talking about and imagine them running around swinging a sword like a wiffle ball bat yelling HA YAH!

if SHTF people will need tools not toys.

Well in that case I'm carrying my trusty light saber and plasma rifle as back-up.

Would I carry a sword in a SHTF scenario?

Umm...NO.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Ads