Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Everybody Needs a Ka Bar right?

7K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  oldmurph58 
#1 ·
Right?

#2 · (Edited)
OK, sure. Fixed blade or folder?

If your on limited funds it doesn't need to be a Ka-Bar. There are a lot of very good knives out there, major brands: Buck, Gerber, SOG, Case, Schrade... and a lot of custom / semi-custom makers too (which you will PAY FOR!), you just have to sort through them and investigate their quality. Some of the afore mentioned are now made in China vs. USA and thus a bit suspect until proven. I usually prefer to scout out used USA made knives, you pay a bit more but I think they're worth it.

#4 ·
OK, sure. Fixed blade or folder?

If your on limited funds it doesn't need to be a Ka-Bar. There are a lot of very good knives out there, major brands: Buck, Gerber, SOG, Case, Schrade... and a lot of custom / semi-custom makers too (which you will PAY FOR!), you just have to sort through them and investigate their quality. Some of the afore mentioned are now made in Chins vs. USA and thus a bit suspect until proven. I usually prefer to scout out used USA made knives, you pay a bit more but I think they're worth it.
Or, you pay a LOT more for it :). I live near two custom knife makers and the cost made me sweat.

#3 ·
The real question is "for what, cleaning your finger nails?"

The point is to pick the right knife for the job you need done, just like every other tool. This usually results in more than one item per category. The people who don't believe this are the ones who design multi-tools with 3 knife blades.

#6 ·
Long as buying it does not take food off the table,

Reactions: Boss Dog
#28 ·
But what would be a effective head on Pike tool??

#11 ·
#35 ·
#12 · (Edited)
I have a BK-7 and a Kershaw Folder in BOB. Plus a few assorted folders and combat knives throught the house. Some I have had since I was a kid. The BK-7 is a good dual purpose knife. Thick full tang for bushcraft work and can be used as a combat knife as well, although a bit on the heavy side. I also have a good SOG Machete I use a lot around the house. Ka Bar is a quality knife. Don't like the sheaths tho. I may have a Kydex sheath made for it by one of the dealers here in Houston.

Reactions: NZKiwi
#13 ·
I would rather have a utility knife, such as the Schrade "survival" line of knives, than any "fighting" knife. I just don't see myself getting in a whole lot of knife fights. That's not to say I don't have a fighting knife, because I do. It's just that if I only had to pick just one knife to have with me, it wouldn't be a fighting knife.

#16 ·
I only have 2 knives so far since I don't have any delusions about my ability to fight with one. One is in my ghb and one is my edc. Notice I say so far. I'd love to become more proficient but in the meantime these will hopefully do what I need them to.

View attachment 8200 View attachment 8201
Nice, they'll do the job. Though, as light as the Seal Pup is, I wouldn't do much prying with it. It's a very good all-round general purpose knife.

Reactions: Kahlan
#15 ·
A KABAR Buck 119 and a good pock knife should be given to you at birth.

#20 ·
This will be my next knife purchase:

A Ka-bar Fighting knife -- 7" blade
Rectangle Window Automotive exterior Font Metal

I already have this one -- OKC3S bayonet that also substitutes as my hunting knife when on my belt. It has an 8" blade. It is just a bit too long when wearing on a belt, that is why I want the genuine Ka-bar.
Tool Knife Blade Dagger Wire stripper

I too have no plans to be killing anybody any time soon :lol:, but I love these knives for when out hiking in the woods, etc. You just never know when they'll come in handy. I can't speak for the Ka-bar, but the Ontario blade came razor sharp. You honestly can shave with it.

#37 ·
This will be my next knife purchase:

A Ka-bar Fighting knife -- 7" blade
View attachment 8204

I already have this one -- OKC3S bayonet that also substitutes as my hunting knife when on my belt. It has an 8" blade. It is just a bit too long when wearing on a belt, that is why I want the genuine Ka-bar.
View attachment 8205

I too have no plans to be killing anybody any time soon :lol:, but I love these knives for when out hiking in the woods, etc. You just never know when they'll come in handy. I can't speak for the Ka-bar, but the Ontario blade came razor sharp. You honestly can shave with it.
USMC bayonet is a tank of a knife thats for sure! It has no problem giving good slash at some wild prowler:roll:

#22 ·
To older guys, Ka Bar refers to one thing only - the USMC Fighting Knife.
Anything else made by that company should be called by its model number or product name.
At this moment I am taking a break from hauling cut brush out to the mulch pile I've got going out in the woodlot. On my belt is a WWII vintage Ka Bar riding in a USN MkII scabbard. On the other side is an S&W Model 10. Never know what a guy will run into out in the woodlot.
Yes, I AM sergeant Old School.

#24 ·
I have the BK9 and i love it... It feels great in my hand almost like an extention of my arm lol. And its an awsome chopper. Cuts through wood like butter! I have it in my BOB.

Reactions: NZKiwi
#30 ·
Not everyone NEEDS a Kabar.

Not a Kabar in the bunch, but each of them has a tempered steel blade that holds an edge well, and yet if it needs to be sharpened, it won't take 3 days hard work to do it.

The one at the top I had made by the Kukry House in Nepal India to my specs. The 2 at the bottom of the photo are my EDC's. One in my boot and one on my belt.

Attachments

#41 ·
Hate to say it but the USMC ones we were given weren't up to par with a lot of the steels that are available today. We were issued them and were using the wire cutting function ( hole in the blade that goes over a peg in the sheath) and the wire was breaking the blades. They bent easily and yea they were easy to sharpen but they lost and edge fast as well.

Any knife is better than no knife, but there are better options out there today which leaves us buying our own blades and letting them keep the issued ones that can't keep up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.