Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo storage: removing ammo from original boxes? Plastic cases?

This is a discussion on Ammo storage: removing ammo from original boxes? Plastic cases? within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I've been watching some videos on YouTube about ammo storage and I've noticed that most guys seem to store all of their ammo on shelves ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Ammo storage: removing ammo from original boxes? Plastic cases?

Ammo storage: removing ammo from original boxes? Plastic cases?

I've been watching some videos on YouTube about ammo storage and I've noticed that most guys seem to store all of their ammo on shelves in the original cardboard boxes that come with the ammo.

I recently stumbled upon these plastic MTM ammo boxes that hold 100 rounds and snap closed, like these:

I realize there are drawbacks to this option such as:
    - The cost of the plastic boxes (probably the biggest negative)
    - Speed of identifying the brand of round (although good labeling and color coding could mitigate this)
    - If I ever wanted to sell the ammo, it would be less desirable without the original boxes

Although for me, the positives seem to outweigh the negatives:
    - Speed of getting the ammo into action
    - Speed of identifying caliber and fmj/jhp (color coding the boxes).
    - Uniformity of packaging (it's hard to stack a lot of different brands/box shapes efficiently, these stack really nicely)
    - Decreased size of package (shelf space, and in a bag if I needed to grab some quickly)
    - More water/moisture resistant (but not waterproof)
    - Fit really nicely into the MTM ammo boxes or 50 cal ammo boxes
    - Easily see how many rounds are in the box (in transparent versions)

I just thought I'd share and see what you guys think about storing ammo in these things.

How do you guys store your ammo?
    Last edited by WithAnX; 01-30-2014 at 01:43 PM.

I like the metal, military ammo cans for storage. From what I can tell, they are water tight, air and humidity tight, and hold a hell of a lot of ammo. They stack nicely because they are pretty much uniform in 2 sizes, and they have a handle. Only draw back is that 1000 round of .45 ACP weighs a ton. I prefer my 5.56mm on clips for easy handling. Because of their size, I can put a large tag on the can to identify each stack of cans.

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    1000 round of .45 ACP weighs a ton. I prefer my 5.56mm on clips
    This man is of fine "Caliber"

“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.”
    ― Winston Churchill

This is something I have been thinking about. I have thought about pulling everything out of there boxes and just filling up the Ammo cans with Lose rounds. The drawback is keeping a good count. with keeping them in the boxes they came in, in the Ammo can it's alot easer to get quality count on rounds.

I keep all my ammo except for .22s and 5.56mm in their boxes in the ammo cans. A .50 Cal can will hold 1000 rounds of .45 ACP, 1200 rounds of 9mm. 5.56 on strippers with hold around 600 rounds in a .30 Cal can if not in silencer packs. Not sure about the .30 Cal Carbine, buried too deep and I haven't used it in a while. Besides, you can always count by weight.

I like those MTM cases for my hand load hunting ammo and taking a new hand load out to be tested. As for storing bulk ammo in them, they do keep things super neat but I prefer a ammo can. I load it up put a sticker across the latch and label whats in there and how many. If the sticker is torn it means its been open and take it to the range. Yes there is some wasted space if you try to keep all the different brands of that caliber separate. However it makes it easy to grab if needed.

However that all being said use the system you like and helps you stay organized. As that's all that really matters.
    Notsoyoung likes this.
    Irish Diplomacy:
    The ability to tell a man to go to hell and have him looking forward to the trip.

Just as good as the box if you have the additional room they take up over boxes and you include the lot number of the ammo on the plastic cases so if there is a recall you can ID the affected ammo.
    littleblackdevil likes this.

USGI Ammo Cans only way to fly you can move a lot of ammo in hurry if you need to. They Stack, Dont Leak and are Air Tight
    Reptilicus likes this.
    Life is hard when your stupid it's harder

I have all three. I have ammo in the boxes it came in, I have Reloads in plastic boxes, and I have ammo both reloads and store bought ammo in ammo cans. It all works out in the end. The main thing is you never have enought.
    kevincali likes this.

I keep them in the Manufactures box. As other said it has lot numbers on it and just a good way to store them Plastic boxes can trap moisture.
    Not good long term. Long term defined as years.

Have you ever tried to lift 1000 rounds of 45 at one time? You will pack them in smaller boxes next time.
    500 rounds of .45 230gr brass weight is 24lb 0.48622oz
    So 1000 rounds would be close to 50 pounds.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 01-30-2014 at 04:54 PM.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    If you can not defend it, then your just holding it for the next owner.
    When will DHS come for you. They have declared us the enemy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads