Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

300 Blackout is a Knockout

This is a discussion on 300 Blackout is a Knockout within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I for the most part had dismissed this round when it first appeared. Had no interest in it for some unknown reason and moved on. ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: 300 Blackout is a Knockout

300 Blackout is a Knockout

I for the most part had dismissed this round when it first appeared. Had no interest in it for some unknown reason and moved on. The other night, I was bored and decided to spend a little time cruising YouTube. As many of you may know, I am a single shot fan and I really like the H&R Handi-Rifles. This video kept showing up on my "recommended for you" section;

So I said "What the heck? Why not?" I have become a monstrously rabid fan of this round, and this Handi-Rifle. Now of course, this is available in an AR Platform as well as a couple of bolt gun selections, like the Remington 700 SPS Tactical and a version from Advanced Armament Corporation, the Micro 7 (also a Remington).

I dig the fact that this round uses two of the most common components available; the 5.56/.223 case and a .308 bullet. The conversion is easy with a cut, trim and re-size, and can be loaded at supersonic or sub-sonic speeds. There is NO NEED for special magazines if you're running a 5.56 AR. You use the same one. If you own an AR, the only thing that needs to be changed out, literally, is the barrel, but a dedicated upper is much more convenient.

The 300 Blackout is not as hot out of the gate, but at 700 yards, it is carrying the same amount of energy as a 5.56 at only 400 yards. And with a can and sub-sonic round, it is quite possibly the quietest gun out there. I will be obtaining one within the next few months, and am already working on stockpiling brass, bullets, dies, etc. to build my own. And that's the other thing I love about this round, I can make the entire thing, from the ground up, all by myself. Kind of like having children.

"TwangandBang" has quite a few videos dedicated to this round and its guns. I think you'll enjoy them.

Hear No Evil, See No Evil and Fuck You

What is its purpose?

I'm building a 300 Blackout upper w/ suppressor right now. Piecing it together when I find parts on sale.

I haven't seen the Handi-Rifle before... OMG, I gotta get me one of these!!! I've got one in 44mag and love it as my "primitive weapon" here in Miss.
    LunaticFringeInc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Infidel View Post
    What is its purpose?
    Well, as much as I hate to use it as a "source", go to Wikipedia and enter 300 AAC Blackout. That explains the purpose behind its inception pretty well. At least better than I can ramble.

And it uses existing supplies/equipment that's readily available. Save's re-tooling, re-purchasing, re-designing, re-training, and on and on and on. I don't say it often about much of anything, but this cartridge and how it's implemented is pure, 100% rationally logic genius. Cut a new barrel for existing M4's, install it, make some ammo and you're money. It's just about that simple. If our government could operate like this we'd be just fine.

It can be used for self defense, home defense, military operations, hunting, target shooting, all kinds of stuff. It's quiet, it's fast on target, it can shoot sub-sonic from an AR without having to change anything out in order to get it to cycle. It's just an awesome round. I don't get excited about much when it comes to specific calibers and I have less than a handful of them that I call "favorites". This has entered that family.

Have you already got one or are you getting one?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Sayin' View Post
    Have you already got one or are you getting one?
    I am going to get one. I showed this to some co-workers and they had the same reaction I did. I am most likely going to go with the Handi-Rifle, but am going to wait on a bolt action; see if anyone else throws one out there for a little less than what's being offered now. I have seen some AR Platforms under $1000, and a Rock River at $1200. But as I said, I love single shot rifles so that Handi-Rifle is definitely up my alley.

I don't have a 300 Blackout but I do have its identical twin 300 Whisper. Its a pretty unique round and one I have grown to love a lot more than when I originally got it. I have a AR upper for it that's set up strictly for use with a can and sub-sonic ammo. There is a lot to be said for a 240gr SMK at 1050 fps and its quiet the thumper out there are some distance. At the bench mine sounds like a air soft gun but the thump on a hog at 200 yards, is brutal and makes more noise on impact! It is definitely a special purpose kind of round to be sure. I think it really shines in the areas where suppressed or silenced rounds are called for at range. Another area where I think such a round would excel is as a youth or womans low recoil chambering for hunting deer and hogs or similar game.

Man I have to check that handi rifle out. That would be the shiznick!
    Last edited by LunaticFringeInc; 12-15-2013 at 03:36 AM.
    bigdogbuc likes this.

Love my ar in 300 - with a YHM can I push 220gr RN bullets at ~1050fps - at 100 yards it has the equivalent energy of a .45acp at he barrel, and if you are 100yds away you can barely hear the shot - you wouldn't even pay any attention to it unless you were specifically listening for it.

I've been reading up on the 300. I have 30 cal bullets,223/556 brass, a complete unassembled upper.

All I need is dies and a 300 barrel, I have a "spare 224 barrel"

I'll be the bad egg on this one.

The 308 Win can easily be loaded subsonic with the same bullets. 308 brass is readily available, no need to make it. 308 is a proven performer out to 1000 yards plus. How far is the 300 good for? Plenty of guns new and used around no need to pay top dollar and wait to find one.

So what does this over hyped cartridge actually do any better than what's already available? Ballistics look to me like a 30/30 that can be loaded subsonic. Sure you can load a 30/30 subsonic. I'm sure it's increased sales which is a good thing. I would suggest you sit down and really look at what this cartridge will do. Your money could be spent on something a lot more practical and get the same results. Unless money is no object then it makes perfect sense.

Do I have to mention the rare and exotic 762x39. Only been around for 60 plus years.
    Last edited by Chipper; 12-15-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads