Ballistics Versus Soft Targets
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Ballistics Versus Soft Targets within the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; Hello everyone, yesterday a group of individuals and I went out muzzle loader hunting, which for me I might as well carry a spear or ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ballistics Versus Soft Targets

Hello everyone, yesterday a group of individuals and I went out muzzle loader hunting, which for me I might as well carry a spear or a heavy stick. But anyways we got done and were talking about things in general surrounding hunting; we got on the topic of guns which believe it or not can sometimes turn into a heated debate among our group members. One man is buying a 340 Weatherby Magnum, I have the 30-378 and told him I liked it, to me it is a good well designed round, not the best suited for deer, nor black bear at distances less than 200 yards, however one of my favor rifles to carry. So an older man who uses what I consider " light for deer " makes the claim to all of us " those big hot-shot magnums won't do anything my 243 won't ". Well ballistically speaking I beg to differ, I understand plenty of deer have been killed with a 243 and lesser, and I also fully understand that a long standing world record brown bear was killed with one shot from a 22 short. Anyways I scoff at this man taking his word with a grain of salt, he says " those magnums blow deer all the hell, they probably cut them in half ". This is the golden statement for debate to me personally, I have seen what a 180 grain Nosler Accubond will do to a whitetail at 475 yards and the results are devastating to be frank; but no amputating affects.

So I tell this guy " well you'll never see a shoulder fired round that can tear an animal in half " then my one uncle declares " well a 50 caliber would take a man's head off "- this I believe. What I don't believe and this is a question for anyone in the military or what have you Is it possible ?

Granted I have little experience with a 50 caliber in general only having fired it a handful of times, but here is where I am coming from saying center mass two pieces isn't possible of an average sized man.

Point 1; temporary wound cavities are pressure from energy transferring and air displacement the so called " shock " from being hit by a penetrating projectile. During this temporary wound cavity cells of the body are pushed outwards away from this central impact/pass through, now this displaces cells in such a radical way many times they burst causing separation. However not in such an extreme event where a torso could be actually separated completely. From ballistic tests I have seen the temporary wound cavity of a 50 caliber is larger than the torso itself, however this does not mean that every cell is destroyed in a direct path causing an utter separation. You're dealing with not only soft tissue such as muscle and flesh but also a lot of bone.

Point 2; final point also, based on what I have experienced there isn't a bullet designed for " slicing " there are plenty of these fracturing " multiple wound cavity " producing projectiles being produced for single projectile objects. But none that could actually cut as some may intend.

To me it all falls apart before it even starts, the idea of it to me is insane to think it could happen, your ballistics aren't there and neither is your bullet design. I understand it is capable from a larger non-shoulder fired weapon like rockets and artillery but not from a shoulder fired weapon. Does anyone have anything to add and maybe disagree with me on this ? It's just for settling my own questions since I do not have experience with a 50 caliber.

It is a weapon system I have on my bucket list, would not be ideal for survival but nothing is everyone's golden goose. There is no shortage of ammunition from my wanderings.
    Slippy likes this.
    A man never truly knows how good he is with a gun until that gun is his last resort to live.

“Everything's fine today… that is our illusion.” – Voltaire

One cannot appreciate the light until you have seen the darkness

Why would anyone want a round that can tear a deer in half? Having such massive overkill may be useful if you're a lousy shot but I see no reason to use a weapon larger than what it takes to deliver 800 ft lbs of energy at the target distance and fly fast enough to maintain reasonable ballistics at that distance. Actually 300 ft/lbs energy is more than enough but I suggest 800 ft/lbs in case you hit a bone.

I would suggest that those guys loved to play "Mine is Bigger than Yours:
    Talk is cheap, actions count.

Well, a 308 or 30/06 will remove most of the cranium from the hydrostatic shock generated entering the cavity.

I personally seen it many times.

Yes a Cal. 50 M-2 round will completely remove it from the energy transfer.

At almost 5,000 FPS the SLAP round results are dramatic, for an anti armor round.

This is a APDS DU or sintered tungsten round.

A Cal. 50 SLAP round will separate both half's mid torso, throwing the internals about 30 feet past impact,

and in some cases dislocating(break) the neck from the forces generated, along with forcing the colon out of the rectum..

Now this does not apply to low velocity muzzle loaders.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-08-2017 at 04:07 PM.
    Grinch2 likes this.

I want a round that will kill, field dress, butcher, age and freeze my meat.
    John Galt likes this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Why would anyone want a round that can tear a deer in half? Having such massive overkill may be useful if you're a lousy shot but I see no reason to use a weapon larger than what it takes to deliver 800 ft lbs of energy at the target distance and fly fast enough to maintain reasonable ballistics at that distance. Actually 300 ft/lbs energy is more than enough but I suggest 800 ft/lbs in case you hit a bone.

I would suggest that those guys loved to play "Mine is Bigger than Yours:
    None of us are considering using a 50 caliber for deer, you missed the question's directive completely; I was asking if it is possible. And you say you " see no reason to use a weapon larger than what it takes to deliver 800 ft lbs of energy at the target distance and fly fast enough to maintain reasonable ballistics at that distance ". What distance are you talking about because within a 100 yards you see no reason for using anything more than a 223 ? Granted if you were hunting smaller bodied deer say in Texas over food plots where you could get a perfect shot it would be alright, but for Northern whitetails where you're most of the time snap shooting you want a little more terminal shock. Now of course Jim Jordan killed his buck with a 25-20 but he was a subject to circumstance ( oh yeah and he shot it quite a few times ).
    A man never truly knows how good he is with a gun until that gun is his last resort to live.

“Everything's fine today… that is our illusion.” – Voltaire

One cannot appreciate the light until you have seen the darkness

Bigger is not always better. IIRC a guy named Bell routinely hunted elephant in Africa with a 7mm Mauser. Shot placement is the key.
    Camel923 and Urinal Cake like this.
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

Shot placement is number one. Hunting- I want to drop the game and have meat. Self defense -what will stop the aggressor immediately and perferabellly knock the aggressor down and away while achieving incapacitation
    Urinal Cake likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    I want a round that will kill, field dress, butcher, age and freeze my meat.
    You do know of course that your desire is one of our ancestor's greatest losses.

My Native American ancestors had such a round, . . . used it quite often.

They were often times pretty good size rounds, . . . in the 200 pounds per foot range.

It was called the "squaw" round, . . . or maybe better stated the "round squaw", . . . often times about 40 inches around..........

They even made jerky and pemmican for ya.

To this day, we rue the loss.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

"So I tell this guy " well you'll never see a shoulder fired round that can tear an animal in half " then my one uncle declares " well a 50 caliber would take a man's head off "- this I believe. What I don't believe and this is a question for anyone in the military or what have you Is it possible ?"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.50 head shot.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	35233
    The .50 BMG will do this, it will split the skull wide open; because it has an ME of 10,000 ft lbs, or thereabouts.
    http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/first-battle-falluja-50-cal-dome

The Firing Line has a ballistics chart, and it has the ME, as 11.000 ft lbs.
    https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486551

Last edited by MisterMills357; 01-10-2017 at 09:52 AM.
    Deplorable....just, deplorable...that's me.Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMills357 View Post
    "So I tell this guy " well you'll never see a shoulder fired round that can tear an animal in half " then my one uncle declares " well a 50 caliber would take a man's head off "- this I believe. What I don't believe and this is a question for anyone in the military or what have you Is it possible ?"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.50 head shot.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	35233
    The .50 BMG will do this, it will split the skull wide open; because it has an ME of 10,000 ft lbs, or thereabouts.
    http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/first-battle-falluja-50-cal-dome

The Firing Line has a ballistics chart, and it has the ME, as 11.000 ft lbs.
    https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=486551

OMG is That Achmed or Mohammed?
    Glad he's humping on those 72 Virgins...
    Countdown to Obama Leaving!
    Hidden Content
    Trump arrives to save America!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links