Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Does anyone carry a vintage firearm for self defense?

13K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  Mad Trapper 
#1 · (Edited)
Despite my user name, I will often drop a little Smith & Wesson Model 37 'no-dash' Airweight revolver into my pocket. It just disappears in there. This gun was made in 1961, as close as I can determine, and despite its age, I have 100% confidence that it will fire every time I pull the trigger. It always has. Five rounds of Buffalo Bore 158 grain lead semi wadcutter, backed up by six more in a speed strip, makes my rickety bones feel a little less vulnerable. And I just enjoy owning and using old, well-made things.

Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

See less See more
#43 · (Edited)
I Have A Colt.

I have a .45 that I keep at home, and it is 40 years old. I bought it new in 1980 in Louisville, I have carried it for self-defense, but these days it stays at home.
This is the one that goes to the grave with me, I have held on to it, come Hell or high water.

This is the way that I carried it too, cocked and locked, for the most part. And I did it right here in Huntington, WV. I made a lot of people mad, and I don't care.
(I know that everybody knows how a .45 looks, but I uploaded some shots anyway.)
View attachment 11190

Reactions: Mad Trapper
#47 ·
I have a .45 that I keep at home, and it is 40 years old. I bought it new in 1980 in Louisville, I have carried it for self-defense, but these days it stays at home.
This is the one that goes to the grave with me, I have held on to it, come Hell or high water.

This is the way that I carried it too, cocked and locked, for the most part. And I did it right here in Huntington, WV. I made a lot of people mad, and I don't care.
(I know that everybody knows how a .45 looks, but I uploaded some shots anyway.)
View attachment 11190
Mine is a Springfield, but just as J Browning envisioned it.

#44 ·
Here's my Great Grandpappy's 4th model top break Smith&Wesson black powder cartridge .32. He was a Police Officer (like me) out west in the late 1800's. Like my other antique weapons it is behind glass, where it belongs.

#45 ·
CSI, I was going to accuse you of sneaking into my dungeon but I don't have the revolver or the tin star...

#48 ·
No offense, but I wouldn't jump in the back seat and trust my life with Grampa or Gramma behind the wheel of my race car, nor would I trust my life to depending on one of Grampa's old war souvenir firearms.

There could be exceptions to the above, but I don't do drugs nor alcohol (anymore). :)

#51 · (Edited)
No offense, but I wouldn't jump in the back seat and trust my life with Grampa or Gramma behind the wheel of my race car, nor would I trust my life to depending on one of Grampa's old war souvenir firearms.

There could be exceptions to the above, but I don't do drugs nor alcohol (anymore). :)
You obviously know very little about firearms. Some of the best were made before you were born. Educate yourself before spouting off, Junior.

P.S. glad to hear about the drugs and booze, congrats. They don't mix at all with firearms

P.P.S Look at the John Browning guns still produced, Your Grandpa would be proud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.