What would you recommend for a beginner woman?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What would you recommend for a beginner woman? within the Hand to Hand Combat and Self Defense forums, part of the Weapons, Protection, Self Defense, Hand to Hand Combat category; I see there have been a lot of previous threads on this subject but wanting to get some fresh ideas and perspectives. Obviously it would ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: What would you recommend for a beginner woman?

I see there have been a lot of previous threads on this subject but wanting to get some fresh ideas and perspectives. Obviously it would be a good idea for me to take some kind of self defense class but I've heard so many suggestions I don't know where to start. Would love to hear some informative and helpful responses.

I'm a woman and I've had no self defense experience of any type. I also am not into crowds, I tend to panic (not like scream when zombies are attacking panic but more of blush, stammer and can't talk panic) in groups so a one on one type of training or class would be ideal but I'm sure they probably don't have those...

Anyway what do you recommend and most importantly why.
    indie likes this.

Aikido..

Why?? Lazy art use their own force against them

Firearms... No brainer
    just mike likes this.
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Zed

Bullet in head is the best martial art..
    Other than that...Krav-maga is good..if not possible go for Filipino bladed martial arts - Kali
    If even that is not possible i will recommend basic knife fighting techniques and using it on your Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, Beef for practice!!
    Google "karambit", a extremely dangerous and stealthy knife..and learn how to use it.
    Unarmed combat martial arts are fantasized by Hollywood movies..They are practically useless..
    But just for CQC fights with 1 on 1..Judo, Aikido is very good..It will make you physically strong and you would be able to take some physical stress...and throw someone down easily
    Martial arts having punches and kicks are not very useful except boxing e.g. karate, taekwondo etc

I'm personally trained in Karate, Judo and Maharashtrian traditional fighting..//Maharashtra is a state in India. My state//

But still "Gun"-Fu is best!!
    Last edited by Zed; 10-27-2014 at 06:13 AM.
    TG and just mike like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I take aikido-arnis right now. While it's good...I don't recommend it for beginners. A more structured traditional martial art should be used first to form a foundation or basis for more experience to build from. I know I started with Karate. After Karate I went to kick-boxing (Mui Thai), Ju-jitsu, and Krav Maga...now Aikido-Arnis. Off all of these I find myself always reverting back to the stable stances and power production of karate. What am I really saying?

For a WOMAN starting out, I would begin with a woman's self-defense class. That will teach situational awareness, how to punch, block, and kick (at least to basic levels) which will be an effective starting point. After a foundation is started and the woman is motivated to continue with training...a good sparring art like Karate or Tae Kwon Do will give you the opportunity to spar. Sparring is crucial in martial arts as it teaches you how YOU react in a fight...where your bad habits are and how to correct them. And while I love aikido...the sparring (rondori) is too rehearsed to be effective in a "street fight" at first. Now once at black belt (Shihan) level...you're probably able to use it more comfortably. I also consider aikido a very advanced art that focus' on spiritualism and calming your mind on top of learning very advanced throws and grapples. But there is no striking taught. I consider striking a key piece of training...you're not going to win a fight by throwing a guy or tickling him.

That's my opinion.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato

"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all"- Gen. James Mattis (Forcefully retired by Obama)

Firearm training.
    paraquack, SOCOM42 and Grinch2 like this.

Thanks all! Smokin that's the kind of well thought out detailed answer I've learned to expect from you. And Slippy you know I'm already working on that!
    Smokin04 and Grinch2 like this.

Another suggestion for Krav Maga. It is no nonsense and very effective. I also like the suggestion of taking a woman's self defense class.
    Kahlan, Zed, tks and 1 others like this.

Be careful with unarmed martial arts. I trained with a girl in BJJ and she was attacked/assalted and still missing. It has been over 10 years. Firearms are best. You need to train to have a " warrior mind set" . Smashing in someones face, stabing/ shooting someone are all very unnatural to the common person. I reconmend any writing by Massad Ayoob. It was a real eye opener for me. If I were you I would learn to throw a good punch learn basic grappling/wrestling and watch some videos on biteing and fishhooking.
    UNO, dsdmmat and Grinch2 like this.

I trained several years in martial arts. My favorite was ju jitsu. Consider this. Martial arts training takes you several years. You will learn many techniques that work so well with compliant students in a controlled dojo. Things can go bad when you are under stress and tangling with a person who will not "take the fall" like training. Like what was stated above, consider a women's self defence courses. Raking your shoe down a guys shin and stomping down on the instep of his foot will get his attention. One of the easiest things you can do is always always always walk to your car with the key between your middle two fingers in a fist. If you punch that key into an eye or throat of a bad guy he will let go long enough to get away and draw your gun. Oh yeah, have a gun, train with it, and most importantly have the mind set that you will use it.
    Zed and Wise Prepper like this.

Firearms are the great "equalizer."
    Grinch2 likes this.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links