Range Day...Better Than Hump Day
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Range Day...Better Than Hump Day within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; I went to the range today. And it was a GREAT time. I have a friend who is pretty much confined to wheelchair with a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Range Day...Better Than Hump Day

Banned

I went to the range today. And it was a GREAT time. I have a friend who is pretty much confined to wheelchair with a plethora of medical issues. So much so that has a "Do Not Resuscitate" order posted in his living room.

He has a couple of AR's, one of which he's had for 7 years and never fired, the same one I took him to go pick up when it was new, a really nice Colt Gold Cup .45 and a Model 29 with like, an 8" barrel. He hasn't been to the range in nearly 20 years.

So we arranged transportation for him and his chair, I gathered his guns up and brought them home to clean and lube. The Bushmaster (20" with A2 Stock/sights) needed completely stripped down, scrubbed clean of all the "factory preservative" and lubed. The other is an Olympic Arms he bought from a friend of mine with a billion unnecessary and, sometimes annoying, bells and whistles. His hands weren't cooperating today so we didn't shoot the pistols.

He went through over 300 rounds of .223 all by himself today. I loaded mag after mag. We showed up with 530 rounds, left with 100. Not one single hiccup from either AR. I had to load for him as he kept trying to load the rounds in the mag backward. :grin: He can barely see either. I know right?

Once he "climatized" he did great at 25 yards with them. I took them out to 150 yards on the steel with the iron sights. His "Tactical Scope" (piece of crap Leapers) wouldn't hold zero so I pulled it off and put his Magpul Flip-Up Rear Sight on the OA. After about 10 rounds at the 25 yard mark, I ran 20 rounds smackin' the shit out of the gong at 150 yards. Both rifles are "Battle Dialed".

In between mags I broke out my "Scout Mosin" and pounded inch and a half groups with surplus ammo at 100 yards, as well as amazed onlookers with an impressive fireball while shaking dust from the rafters (that bitch is obnoxious). I finally shot my Stevens 320 Security Pump 12 gauge for the first time; 10 rounds of slugs, 5 rounds of 000 Buck and 2 rounds of "Wax Slugs" at 25 yards (groups the size of my fist) and HOLY SHIT is my shoulder sore!

So my dumb ass follows that up with two of my antique single shot 12 gauges, a Spencer built in 1896-97 and an H&R made in 1908 and some home made black powder loads, both Brass Shells and Plastic. Today was also the first time I ever fired either one of them. They handled 70, 80 and 90 grain loads with ease. I had some with #8 shot, some with 00 Buck, some with .454 Roundball, a combo of two or more of the first three, even one with a "Less than Lethal Bean Bag". The bean bag punched a hole right where I was aiming, the size of a softball. It was the damndest thing. And lethal I'm sure. I wish I would have gotten a picture of it.

Then I broke out my black powder revolvers, a couple of 1851 Colts that I had modified (Manhattan Conversions on both), one of which I cut down to make a "Belly Gun". Both have had charges in them for about a year. Other than needing new nipples on my belly gun, both worked great and no caps sucked into the action.

The best part, is he had a really great time. You couldn't have surgically removed that smile, or the excitement he had just sitting there running round after round through those rifles. And I think he was just glad someone took the time to get him out there and I was honored to be the one.

I'm not so happy about all the cleaning I have done, and have left. Shooting is fun, cleaning not so much.

Happy Independence Day Everyone!!!!

Big Dog Out.
    Inor, Coppertop, Infidel and 10 others like this.

Guys like you are the reason I still have a ton of hope. As much shit as I give you Big Dog, you are the greatest!

nightshade

i feel so inadequate..only have two guns...22 and my beloved .40 beretta storm that i haven't fired yet..for some reason i have only mostly shot other poeples guns lol. my favorite was the bump stock ar-15 and a silenced 9mm..the silenced 9mm made me feel like 007
    bigdogbuc and omegabrock like this.

• Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

After a good meal and some general conversation today will turn into a range day. 4 of July always does.
    bigdogbuc likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

BigDog, you are the man. The world needs a lot more like you.
    bigdogbuc likes this.
    Friends don't let friends own Glocks.

Good stuff, BigDog!
    On another note, I'd love to see pictures of the conversions. What do they shoot, .38 Long Colt?
    bigdogbuc likes this.

Wednesdays are my usual range day although I haven't made it in the past month due to weather and other commitments, and boy do I miss it. I always feel a little antsy when I miss my Range Day. It is something that I look forward to all week and feel good after spending a couple of hours on the range. I think of it as my "stress buster". I could and do say that I am maintaining or trying to improve my skill set, but the real truth is that I mainly do it because it's fun.
    bigdogbuc likes this.

You are a good man and I'm proud to know the Grande Perro Buc!
    bigdogbuc likes this.

Good stuff...
    bigdogbuc likes this.

I'd liked to have been there with you and your friend.
    bigdogbuc likes this.
    We have a four box system,the soap box,the ballet box,the jury box and the cartridge box!

•  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links