Navigation...Land Nav techniques
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Navigation...Land Nav techniques within the General Talk forums, part of the General Discussion category; Being a retired Soldier I have done a lot of navigation... Most of it years before the GPS became main stream.. I was one of ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Navigation...Land Nav techniques

Being a retired Soldier I have done a lot of navigation... Most of it years before the GPS became main stream.. I was one of the top finishers in the annual Orienteering challenge at Ft. Stewart Ga. and successfully completed the Ranger land Nav course and the Special FOrces "STAR" course. I wanted to open a thread where folks talk about navigation...land water ways, etc...that has nothing to do with satellites or electronic devices. So If your idea of land nav is put destination into Garman and follow british chicks voice prompts...please do not reply. For the rest of you... talk about how to make a compass.... how to get from point A to point B and back to point A...etc. I will add my 2 cents in as we go...but Land nav is not easy...and is it no joke...it's a skill...an art at times...but more importantly it will and can save your life.

Sweet thread SF! I'm very interested and look forward to learning from all the responses.
    Rise to the challenge. Embrace the suck.

Be ready. Be practical. Be humble.

without a topographic map or a good road map I'm kinda screwed, I have a alright sense of direction... sometimes

civilian grade, if you can read a road map without any nav aids you are doing very well (so many people can not read the simplest of all maps) and don't understand what a legend is

topographic maps, different kettle of fish, I had a game on one of my phones post high school that gave you a topographic map of the area and you had to pin point your location from a 3D view and that was a fun challenge (I wasn't too bad at it)

I can't judge travel speed, I can't say every hour we are here, I base it on educated guesses based on key land marks, yes land marks change (and Australia almost went to war with Indonesia over a land mark change) but mountains, rivers, roads, fire tracks, the basics are always there just need to know what to look for

I'm no expert in this skill.... I'm not a navigation chief, I know just enough in this topic to get by...

thanks osfg for the topic
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pheniox17 View Post
    without a topographic map or a good road map I'm kinda screwed, I have a alright sense of direction... sometimes

civilian grade, if you can read a road map without any nav aids you are doing very well (so many people can not read the simplest of all maps) and don't understand what a legend is

topographic maps, different kettle of fish, I had a game on one of my phones post high school that gave you a topographic map of the area and you had to pin point your location from a 3D view and that was a fun challenge (I wasn't too bad at it)

I can't judge travel speed, I can't say every hour we are here, I base it on educated guesses based on key land marks, yes land marks change (and Australia almost went to war with Indonesia over a land mark change) but mountains, rivers, roads, fire tracks, the basics are always there just need to know what to look for

I'm no expert in this skill.... I'm not a navigation chief, I know just enough in this topic to get by...

thanks osfg for the topic
    Great start...without a map you can navigate to and from a base with no problems. I use this technique. I start from my base. and travel roughly along an azimuth or direction for a set time 5 minutes, 10, 15, etc. then when I change directions I travel that distance for a time... and then repeat... at the end when I am ready to return I place a rock on the ground and with a small stick which I designate 5 minutes I begin to lay out and mark my movement...this direction..this time... then the next direction..this time..and then when I'm done I measure the direction back to my rock and measure the time...the point is find the common time factor..be it 5 minutes or 1 minute. and have a compass. It works..I did it in Iraq for 8 months without a map.
    omegabrock likes this.

If you understand basic map navigation...always designate a hand rail...i.e. an obvious land feature that you wont cross over along your route...maybe a road..or a river...and designate an obvious backstop...a thing you don't want to pass beyond... maybe a road a river or a feature like a mountain. These things help you stay within an area without having to be so focused you fail to focus on security.
    Last edited by Old SF Guy; 06-25-2014 at 10:45 AM.

OSFG, have you ever used Pace Count Beads (Ranger Beads)?
    Rise to the challenge. Embrace the suck.

Be ready. Be practical. Be humble.

Absolutely...they are great tools if you know what they mean...I have used the beads but can do the same by just tying a knot in a string. usually 68 steps right foot equal 100 meters or 62 equalls 100 yards. Just need to know what x steps equals...the same as x minutes of walking. Simply a measure of distance over time.

there is a author, Andy McNabb that has 2 non fiction books that have a little information on this topic (Google his resume if you must) bravo two zero and immediate action

for some reason this thread reminded me of him

without maps it gets harder and people are useless at directions... I can't count steeps (tried and failed) but there are many ways to navigate, I use to use 4km a hour as a guide for normal walking pace. but reduced that slightly (3.5 km a hour) but I can only use it as a guide, metric for me is simpler in navigation, and easy to scale...

but a nav challenge for everyone here, Google maps Pacific fair broadbeach Queensland Australia, and find the easiest route to Ann st Brisbane Queensland without cheating

why?? its a foreign land, unfamiliar to the bulk of members, local knowledge is out, and its what I would place as entry level navigation...

a few hints to be fair, m1 is a major motorway going north south

Brisbane is north from the start point

have a go (osfg may get a kick) the only benefit is map reading skills, do not use the navigation function (eg start point, end point) and share any features on interest, good luck

and its a driving exercise
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

oh without a doubt osfg, could prob drop you off in Darwin, and you will turn up at my door tanned and oh so happy to see me

you have any entry level exercises that can add to the challenge?? (since there is no way I'm swimming the Pacific to visit you :p ) we could have some challenging fun
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

I JUST CHALLENGE YOU THIS.. with no map....leave your camp...travel multiple direction and return to your camp....use what I said..it works ..then extend the basics..hand rails..back stops....practice it and if yur confused...ask me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links